Rookie McGee could see action at nickel back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
By Jim Thomas
For much of the 2013 season, rookie cornerback Brandon McGee has been a productive member of the Rams’ special teams units. To wit, he’s tied for second in special teams tackles with six.

But McGee’s opportunities to play on defense have been few and far between. To wit, one play against Jacksonville on Oct. 6 and four plays against Carolina on Oct. 20.

That could change Sunday against the visiting Chicago Bears because of what the team is describing as an eye injury to cornerback Cortland Finnegan. Officially listed as doubtful, Finnegan isn’t expected to play, and that could get McGee on the field when the Rams’ go to their nickel package.

“It’s a blessing to kind of be in this position,” McGee said following Friday’s practice. “Coach (Jeff Fisher) is giving me the opportunity to play. They feel I’m more comfortable in the system; more acclimated with the system.

If Tavon Austin is the fastest Ram, McGee is 1A. He’s that fast. But he’s still raw at the cornerback position, and has been banged up at various times with a variety of ailments.

“Yeah, but I’ve been able to play through most of the injuries,” McGee said. “I haven’t missed much practice time; I haven’t missed a game yet this season.”

McGee (5-11, 193) has decent size for the position, but that’s a relative term when it comes to the skyscrapers the Bears trot out at wide receiver. Brandon Marshall is 6-4, 230, Alshon Jeffery is 6-3, 216, and No. 3 wideout Earl Bennett is no shrimp at 6-0, 206.

“They’ve got a talented group of receivers,” said McGee, a fifth-round draft pick from Miami (Fla.). “Lots of guys that can go up and get the ball at the highest point.”

The Rams do have another option when it comes to nickel back. Safety Rodney McLeod filled that role when Finnegan missed three games in October with a hamstring injury. So it remains to be seen how much McGee plays Sunday.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_05d90743-7a3d-54e2-9242-e36fe93f87e0.html

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Could he be any worse than Finnegan? Inexperienced, but only one way to fix that.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Could he be any worse than Finnegan? Inexperienced, but only one way to fix that.

Well yeah he could be and if you take a look at Finnegans productivity as a tackler in some games you can see that.
I'm not satisfied with Finnegans overall play this year,but signing him was based on a LOT of objective observation of what he knows about playing in the NFL as well as his athleticism.
I'd rather have him than a rookie until the rookie has proven himself better I'll assume this aint good.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I don't necessarily disagree with you Thordaddy. I'm not suggesting the we hand Finny's spot to McGee if he were healthy and we may very well miss his tackling and having an on-field mentor for the young guys.
I guess my feeling is that with Finnegan's play not up to his usual standards and being injured, what better time to get McGee some PT. The kid has the physical tools and has earned a shot as a temporary replacement via his play on ST.
Finnegan will still be with us, just on the sideline for now. Will McGee's play, even with the expected rookie mistakes be that much worse? Very possible, maybe not. Either way it's a necessity for the moment.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do disagree respectfully with Thordaddy .....I want the rookie! Brandon McGee should get a chance @ the Nickle position. Finnegan now has an eye injury??:shifty: Once TJ McDonald is fully ready I would look strongly @ inserting safety Rodney McLeod in @ Nickle back & using the rookie McGee in the Dime defense. Let Stewart & McDonald handle the safety posts. Rams will need a few CB's added to this roster in the off season..one needs to completely replace Finnegan.

I not at all surprised about Finnegan being out again he has been out now for a long while. Snead & Fisher must know their big UFA defensive signing has a very big problem. Not so sure what his problem is but what ever it it Finnegan does not belong on the field game day. I do think the Org. knows this but with three ailing safeties McDonald-Stewart & Giordano it will force you to put Finnegan back on the field.

I have not see any of this athleticism this season. From what I have seen his knowledge of the NFL game has not helped him help this Ram team either, it will not take much for this rookie Brandon McGee to prove he is much better than Finnegan in game live action. Finnegan lost his starting corner position very early this season. Lets go Brandon McGee I with you all the way!!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think people are under estimating the issues that will undoubtedly arise from playing yet ANOTHER young inexperienced DB. Say what you want about Finnegan's overall performance this year, if you now include McGee in Nickel role, you will have a secondary comprised of 4 players with LESS than 2 full years of experience, and the only "experienced" guy on the field being a 4th yr banged up UDFA in Darian Stewart. And all he does week in and week out is MISS TACKLES.

Finnegan brings a calming influence when on the field. and at least by sliding McLeod up into the Nickel spot (in Finnegan's absence), an experienced Giordano finds his way on the field as the extra Safety.

I mention this, mainly because of the impact it will have on the play calling. We have just recently seen this defense begin to play at a level that many of us expected to see from the outset. IMO, this is mainly to do with the coaching staff feeling confident enough in where they are in terms of the scheme, to put more in the game plan with regards to the types of calls they can make.

Now, add yet another ROOKIE to a prominent role, and I would expect to see more of the soft, zone schemes from early on.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think people are under estimating the issues that will undoubtedly arise from playing yet ANOTHER young inexperienced DB. Say what you want about Finnegan's overall performance this year, if you now include McGee in Nickel role, you will have a secondary comprised of 4 players with LESS than 2 full years of experience, and the only "experienced" guy on the field being a 4th yr banged up UDFA in Darian Stewart. And all he does week in and week out is MISS TACKLES.

Finnegan brings a calming influence when on the field. and at least by sliding McLeod up into the Nickel spot (in Finnegan's absence), an experienced Giordano finds his way on the field as the extra Safety.

I mention this, mainly because of the impact it will have on the play calling. We have just recently seen this defense begin to play at a level that many of us expected to see from the outset. IMO, this is mainly to do with the coaching staff feeling confident enough in where they are in terms of the scheme, to put more in the game plan with regards to the types of calls they can make.

Now, add yet another ROOKIE to a prominent role, and I would expect to see more of the soft, zone schemes from early on.

You have a point.

I, as one of many, strongly criticized the soft zones the first half dozen games.

However, if soft means long tiring drives by the backup QB with field goals, lots of hurrys, hits, and sacks, that might work.

Just thinking out loud but it could actually prevent the big play from an outstanding receiving corp and create turnover opportunities for the pass rush.

To me, it seems like plan A should be pound the ball, control the clock, keep the Bears O off the field, prevent the big play and create turn overs.