Ron Swanson's Rams Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
This is my vision for how I could handle this offseason.

Released:
Kendall Langford DT
Scott Wells C
Isaiah Pead RB
Eugene Sims DE
Jake Long

Re-signed:
Kenny Britt
Cory Harkey
Rodney Mcleod
Mike Person
Chase Reynolds
Shaun Hill

Free Agency:

Justin Blalock G
91667064-justin-blalock-of-the-atlanta-falcons-looks-gettyimages.jpg

3 year $10 million ($3.5 million first year)

Blalock works best in a Power-blocking scheme and has ties to offensive line coach Paul Boudreau. Yes he is older but he is durable, missing just three games in 8 seasons.

Darnell Dockett DT
Darnell_Dockett_Offensive_Tweet_.jpg

2 year $8 million ($5 million first year)

At this point in his career Dockett should only be a part-time contributor. Lucky for us he would fit perfect as an upgrade to Langford in a rotational role.

Trades:

St.Louis trades 1st round #10
Houston trades 1st round #16, 2nd round #51, and a 5th round next year.

Houston gets Kevin White to fill the shoes of Andre Johnson

Rams trade conditional 5th round pick next year
Tampa Bay trades Mike Glennon QB

With Tampa drafting Winston, Glennon becomes expendable

Draft:

Round 1 Pick # 16 La'el Collins OT/G
lael-collins-staying.jpg

Collins is quiet and consistent and could play guard or tackle. I have him penned to replace Barksdale on the right side. Strong and has above average pass-blocking skills.

Round 2 # 9 AJ CANN C/G
c4981a33fb379986bed88f239118f450.jpg

It seems to be a consensus that we all like Cann. I'm no different. With his versatility he can definitely be utilized. What a good year to retool an o-line. I have him at center.

Round 2 # 19 Denzel Perryman
Denzel-Perryman-1.jpg

With Kendricks off the board we take Perryman. Excellent open field tackle and is tough. Can be groomed to replace JL55 in the future. At the very least he fills the holes left by Dunbar.

Round 3 Pick # 8 Ifo Ekpre-Olomu
Ifo-4-Nicholls13KC.jpg

He had a knee injury and is a tad short. But since we aren't in the need of a starter we take a chance on a guy that could become a playmaker once he has healed and he is developed. Eyes towards the future with this pick.

Round 5 Pick Pick # 9 Roert Myers G
bf50a4bcbc428411cb52d3c01f3b15db.jpg

Robert Myers shows great technical skills for a Guard prospect. He passes the eye test and is good in pass protection. A bit of a project that needs to hit the weight room. Can recognize what the DL is doing and is good and climbing to the second level.

Round 7 Pick # 32 Grant Hedrick QB
mzvAZ.AuSt.36.jpeg

Grant Hedrick has shown flashes that he can play in the NFL. However, he lacks consistency but could develop into a good game manager type of QB. Played well at the Fiesta bowl and has good mechanics.

Starting Line-up
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Stedman Bailey
ZWR: Kenny Britt/Brian Quick
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Justin Blalock
C: AJ Cann
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: La'el Collings

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Benny Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks good. My only issues are that Dockett is expected to sign with the 49ers and I wouldn't want to pay a rotational DT that much, I don't like Hedrick, and I'm also not a fan of Perryman.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I really like La'el Collins. He looks so much stronger and more consistent than Scherff. I'm told Scherff is an outstanding run blocker but Collins looks better to me. On the tape I've seen, once he gets his hands on someone it's game over and his opponent just gets pushed back or down. I'd quite happily move him to guard and keep Barksdale.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Good stuff, I can't see anything to be in an uproar against, just some minor differences of opinions. I do not want to re-sign Shaun Hill. We already know the team is a loser with Hill, would rather take my chances with a Glennon type if plan B strikes again. At least lose with something new, even if that has a 95% chance of losing it's still better than the 100% known quantity.

Also I keep seeing Sims being quietly cut by most people. That's probably wise given his salary exceeds his use, but perhaps his versatility is worth extending him to lower his cap number more in line with his utilization.

I disagree with the CB pick, hopefully the Rams could do better in round 3.

As a Boise St. fan the Hedrick pick is interesting. I never got the sense while watching him that I was watching an NFL quality QB but what do i know?

Overall I really like the realistic expectations you set given the holes and resources available. It's very tempting to want to be more aggressive with free agency to pick up a 2nd interior OL and give more draft options, since we don't even know if one of the elite WRs will even be there. Not knowing the value it's hard to assume the trade down can even happen.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I doubt Houston would even consider that trade. The compensation listed would probably be enough to go up 2-3 spots higher than the Rams selection and they might still have their choice of Devante Parker, Breshad Perriman, or Dorial Green-Beckham at #16 if they are nasty (Janet Jackson song reference).

Todd59

Rookie
Why would Tampa trade the only QB on their roster after drafting Winston? Glennon may not be a starting caliber QB (right now anyway) but he would be a solid enough backup.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I'd take this! I really like our OL here, and that's been our main concern not named 'Sam.' I'd hate to lose Sims, but overall, we're a much better team thanks to Ron Swanson.
images

Jorgeh0605

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks good. My only issues are that Dockett is expected to sign with the 49ers and I wouldn't want to pay a rotational DT that much, I don't like Hedrick, and I'm also not a fan of Perryman.
Dockett was kind of a fun pick. He signed the 49ers today. Oh well.

Last edited:

Ltrautman

MIZ
I love Ifo Ekpre-Olomu but we already have so many capable corners about his height. I would rather grab a CB 6' or taller. Gaines has locked down the nickel/3rd corner spot and we still have a 2nd rounder invested in Joyner. Other than that I like your planning

Jorgeh0605

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love Ifo Ekpre-Olomu but we already have so many capable corners about his height. I would rather grab a CB 6' or taller. Gaines has locked down the nickel/3rd corner spot and we still have a 2nd rounder invested in Joyner. Other than that I like your planning
I agree with you. I was just thinking more in the future with that pick. Having an alternative playmaker if we don't end up keeping Jenkins next year. I wouldn't expect him to contribute much this year.

Ltrautman

MIZ
I agree with you. I was just thinking more in the future with that pick. Having an alternative playmaker if we don't end up keeping Jenkins next year. I wouldn't expect him to contribute much this year.
I see what you're saying. His talent level is clearly high and for the value in the 3rd he could be worth it