Ron Jaworski thinks the Bucs are Taking Mariota 1st/PFT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ron Jaworski thinks the Bucs are taking Marcus Mariota first
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 13, 2015

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nks-the-bucs-are-taking-marcus-mariota-first/

ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski was already on the record saying he wouldn’t pick Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston first overall.

Now, he’s saying he doesn’t think the Buccaneers will, either.

During an interview with CSN Philly Sports Talk, Jaworski said he thinks the Bucs are going to surprise everyone and take Oregon’s Marcus Mariota.

“The latest I’m hearing now from my sources around the league, who are pretty wired in, is that he’s going to go number one now to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers,” Jaworski said, via PhillyMag.com. “Mariota’s stock, remember it was quiet for a while? And there’s a reason for that. There’s a lull every year until about 30 days before the draft. Now the coaches get involved. Prior to that, it’s the scouts, it’s the roadies that are filling out the paper work. Now the coaches get involved. Now team owners get involved. Now General Managers get involved. So you’re starting to see, in my opinion, Winston’s stock starting to slide a little bit and Mariota’s stock starting to go up a little bit.”

Perhaps that rise is on the recommendation of Eagles coach Chip Kelly, who is apparently talking up his former quarterback to others in the league.

“I’ll give you a little bit of information on how much Chip Kelly loves Marcus Mariota,” Jaworski said. “This is the time of year when everyone talks, and I talk to General Managers, I’ve talked to player personnel directors, and I’ve heard it from a couple or three people that have had conversations with Chip Kelly, and Chip Kelly said, ‘Marcus Mariota will win multiple Super Bowls in the National Football League.’

“Now, he didn’t say it was going to be in Philadelphia, but that’s how much he loves this guy, and a lot of people feel the same way, that Marcus Mariota is that good that you can win multiple Super Bowls with him as your quarterback.”

Of course, Jaworski is no stranger to taking a contrarian position, and he’s also not paid to be a reporter. But coupled with Mike Mayock’s about-face last week — and the fact the Bucs put it on their own website — it might be smoke that indicates a fire is about to be made with a bunch of mock drafts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I could see it happening, yes.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I love how the talking heads try to keep the whole process interesting.

That said - its a possibility. Maybe the Glazers have had a word with Licht and Lovie and just pointedly asked a few questions about "character" and "image". Nothing but subtle prods - cant be said they said "yes or no" to either of them and they leave themselves wiggle room when one or the other is picked to say "we trust our staff" but just letting them know with a nod and a wink who they favour?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
OK, but coming from Chip Kelly....come on, man. That's his dude. Every team, just like every person who does evals on this board, have their own strong opinions. Then, of course, whoever has the final say, whether it be owner, coach, or GM. That's just how it goes.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I saw where Jaws thinks that Mariota will win multiple Superbowls. He also said this about Kaepernick, "I truly believe Colin Kaepernick could be one of the greatest quarterbacks ever,"

I am not saying this means Winston will be great and Mariota will flop. I am just saying that I put zero stock into Jaws evaluations.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
basically saying what I've been saying for a long time..why 18 int? The answer ain't pretty

Merril Hoge, comparing Jameis Winston to Byron Leftwich: "He is a slow, lumbering athlete. That slow-twitch,... http://es.pn/1EAht7H

I like Hoge. His Leftwich comparison is not a ringing endorsement of Winston. I think he is a little off on that eval. IF Winston can keep his head on straight and work hard, I believe he could be much better than Leftwich ever was. If he cannot keep his head on straight and work hard he will be much worse than Leftwich ever was. But I don't want the Rams to take that gamble.

thehammer

Rookie
I like Hoge. His Leftwich comparison is not a ringing endorsement of Winston. I think he is a little off on that eval. IF Winston can keep his head on straight and work hard, I believe he could be much better than Leftwich ever was. If he cannot keep his head on straight and work hard he will be much worse than Leftwich ever was. But I don't want the Rams to take that gamble.

wasn't his evaluation Hodge was passing on the comments of a D coordinator he talked withbut do believe he agreed with them.....said he would blitz Winston out of the league just like they blitzed Leftwich out of the league..just too slow, lumbering to make it in the nfl

pff had a piece about the top 10 prospects in time to throw the ball and the 10 slowest..P Manning/Brady are consistently the fastest in the NFL

I asked them if they had times for both Winston and Mannion..similar type of players and as yet no reply

thehammer

Rookie
@gregcosell on @Midday180: Mettenberger arguably better anticipation, better arm than Jameis Winston. Both slow footed. Not that different.
ason LaConfora of CBSSports says four teams are interested in trading up for Marcus Mariota: Eagles, Browns, Chargers and Rams.
5 retweets 5 favorites

wasn't his evaluation Hodge was passing on the comments of a D coordinator he talked with but do believe he agreed with them.....said he would blitz Winston out of the league just like they blitzed Leftwich out of the league..just too slow, lumbering to make it in the nfl