Ron Clements tweet quoting Snead on Danny A

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Clements/status/305015840246484992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/Ron_Clements/status ... 0246484992</a>

#Rams GM Les Snead on Danny Amendola: "Productivity outweighs potential and you've got to be on the field to be productive."

Hmmmmmmmm...

He's got some other ones too. Check out his profile.

#Rams GM Les Snead really likes futures of Isaiah Pead and Chris Givens. "Speed does matter and those guys have it."

Wonder if this is from a press conference or just from his questioning.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Speed. Does. Matter.

67147532.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think he's being smart. Amendola is great, but he's also been off the field more than on it lately. So if he expects a big pay day just because of his potential then he's wrong. We all love Danny to stay in horns, but if he wants to price himself out of our range we do have options. Austin will be there at 22, and if we're replacing Amendola he's literally the perfect fit. If he can get open at the next level, which I suspect he will, he can be an upgrade because he's faster and more elusive. The only question will be if Austin will be able to catch like Amendola does at the pro level.... Again something I expect him to do.

If Amendola, or rather his agent, doesn't want to play ball, then it's not the end of the world. He's a fan favorite and a player I've always rooted for, even when he was considered a long shot in camp, but if we replace him with Austin I'll be able to live with that.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It all comes down to fitting within cap budget, i think players and more importantly their agents need to be more realistic in their expectations, not everyone can be on $10m a year contracts, those days are gone, so its going to be all about compromise, commitment and passion. The players that WANT to play for the Rams, will compromise to fit in to the team.

Damn I'd play for $500k a year - seriously, Snead, let me give you my number ;)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
shaunpinney said:
It all comes down to fitting within cap budget, i think players and more importantly their agents need to be more realistic in their expectations, not everyone can be on $10m a year contracts, those days are gone, so its going to be all about compromise, commitment and passion. The players that WANT to play for the Rams, will compromise to fit in to the team.

Damn I'd play for $500k a year - seriously, Snead, let me give you my number ;)
I dunno, man. Take one huge shot from Adrian Wilson, and you might want a raise.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
I think he's being smart. Amendola is great, but he's also been off the field more than on it lately. So if he expects a big pay day just because of his potential then he's wrong. We all love Danny to stay in horns, but if he wants to price himself out of our range we do have options. Austin will be there at 22, and if we're replacing Amendola he's literally the perfect fit. If he can get open at the next level, which I suspect he will, he can be an upgrade because he's faster and more elusive. The only question will be if Austin will be able to catch like Amendola does at the pro level.... Again something I expect him to do.

If Amendola, or rather his agent, doesn't want to play ball, then it's not the end of the world. He's a fan favorite and a player I've always rooted for, even when he was considered a long shot in camp, but if we replace him with Austin I'll be able to live with that.

Danny is a very underrated route runner as well. I think the first thing you said is more in question then his hands if he is to replace Amendola. He has excellent hands, but his ability to create separation on every short, intermediate, and some times deep routes is what separates him from anyone on the Rams roster. Will Tavon be able to fill that role? Maybe. I know I saw Amendola make a whole lot of really, really, good DBs look really, really, stupid last year though.

I agree though, Danny hasn't been on the field enough to demand that sort of pay. It's a shame, but it's true. He'll test the market, and see what his true value is. Maybe they can comeback and get something done with him. People keep laughing it off for some reason, but I see the Patriots as a pretty damn good fit for him unfortunately.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
X said:
I dunno, man. Take one huge shot from Adrian Wilson, and you might want a raise.

Hmm take a hit, get injured, still get paid, become a TV pundit, get paid.... it's a WIN-WIN ;)

bluecoconuts

Legend
Username said:
bluecoconuts said:

Danny is a very underrated route runner as well. I think the first thing you said is more in question then his hands if he is to replace Amendola. He has excellent hands, but his ability to create separation on every short, intermediate, and some times deep routes is what separates him from anyone on the Rams roster. Will Tavon be able to fill that role? Maybe. I know I saw Amendola make a whole lot of really, really, good DBs look really, really, stupid last year though.

I agree though, Danny hasn't been on the field enough to demand that sort of pay. It's a shame, but it's true. He'll test the market, and see what his true value is. Maybe they can comeback and get something done with him. People keep laughing it off for some reason, but I see the Patriots as a pretty damn good fit for him unfortunately.

Yeah, that's why I want Amendola back in horns. Austin would just make me feel better about him leaving if he does.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If Dola does price himself out of market and move on, good for him. Draft Austin and we have the last laugh....

jap

Legend
In his first season with us, I used to refer to Danny-A as "Crash" Amendola because this guy, for all his toughness, simply didn't seem to know how to protect himself from big hits. He hasn't seem to have improved much in that regard in the ensuing years. And now this penchant for getting in harm's way is going to affect his FA earning ability. You can be tough & smart or tough & borderline reckless, and all veteran Rams fans know which side of that dichotomy Danny-A lives.

I wish Danny-A all the best, but if he insists on going after the type of dinero that healthy star receivers command, it will become imperative to select Tavon Austin so Sam I Am has a new favorite go-to receiver, and one remarkably tough for his size due to his RB background.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
jap said:
In his first season with us, I used to refer to Danny-A as "Crash" Amendola because this guy, for all his toughness, simply didn't seem to know how to protect himself from big hits. He hasn't seem to have improved much in that regard in the ensuing years. And now this penchant for getting in harm's way is going to affect his FA earning ability. You can be tough & smart or tough & borderline reckless, and all veteran Rams fans know which side of that dichotomy Danny-A lives.

I wish Danny-A all the best, but if he insists on going after the type of dinero that healthy star receivers command, it will become imperative to select Tavon Austin so Sam I Am has a new favorite go-to receiver, and one remarkably tough for his size due to his RB background.

Idk, I'd say Danny's injuries have been more bad luck than anything. That's almost worse though. I like the fact that he's fearless, and you need that in someone that goes over the middle all the time.

That said Austin does really seem like he knows how to protect himself on film. He gets out of bounds when the plays over and there's nothing to go for. He said himself yesterday too, he hasn't missed a game in 8 years.

jap

Legend
Username said:
Idk, I'd say Danny's injuries have been more bad luck than anything. That's almost worse though. I like the fact that he's fearless, and you need that in someone that goes over the middle all the time.

That said Austin does really seem like he knows how to protect himself on film. He gets out of bounds when the plays over and there's nothing to go for. He said himself yesterday too, he hasn't missed a game in 8 years.

I don't know about it all being just bad luck. The worst place to be for big hits is special teams, and I've seen Danny absorb some hellacious hits in his first season with us alone!, way too much for a ball carrier. Ball carriers have to develop an instinct for knowing when the play is over, and it's time to go down to prevent needless abuse. They have to gain a sense of prudence at knowing when to run out of bounds rather than fighting futilely for extra yards. If the extra yards are there, fine!, go get them. But don't kill yourself and the team by degrading your performance with an injury or, worst still, having to leave the field entirely.

I love Danny's heart very much. However, sometimes you simply have to acknowledge sheer basic physics. If you are a small mass moving at top speed into a bigger mass, you will almost never win.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
jap said:
Username said:

I don't know about it all being just bad luck. The worst place to be for big hits is special teams, and I've seen Danny absorb some hellacious hits in his first season with us alone, way too much for a ball carrier. Ball carriers have to develop an instinct for knowing when the play is over and it's time to go down to prevent needless abuse. They have to gain a sense of prudence at knowing when to run out of bounds rather fighting futilely for extra yards. If the extra yards are there, fine!, go get them. But don't kill yourself and the team by degrading your performance with an injury or, worst still, having to leave the field entirely.

I love Danny's heart very much. However, sometimes you have to acknowledge sheer basic physics. If you are a small mass moving at top speed into a bigger mass, you will almost never win.

I only say that because the nature of how the injuries occurred. The first time no one was even around him, he puts his arm down to stop from falling, and it snaps in half. The second time He dives for a catch, no one touches him, and he separates his SC joint. I think he tweaked an ankle in practice too. In between all this we see him get the shit knocked out of him, body slammed, ran over, he still gets up and scores a touchdown the next play.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
jap said:
Username said:

I don't know about it all being just bad luck. The worst place to be for big hits is special teams, and I've seen Danny absorb some hellacious hits in his first season with us alone, way too much for a ball carrier. Ball carriers have to develop an instinct for knowing when the play is over and it's time to go down to prevent needless abuse. They have to gain a sense of prudence at knowing when to run out of bounds rather fighting futilely for extra yards. If the extra yards are there, fine!, go get them. But don't kill yourself and the team by degrading your performance with an injury or, worst still, having to leave the field entirely.

I love Danny's heart very much. However, sometimes you have to acknowledge sheer basic physics. If you are a small mass moving at top speed into a bigger mass, you will almost never win.

I only say that because the nature of how the injuries occurred. The first time no one was even around him, he puts his arm down to stop from falling, and it snaps in half. The second time He dives for a catch, no one touches him, and he separates his SC joint. I think he tweaked an ankle in practice too. In between all this we see him get the shit knocked out of him, body slammed, ran over, he still gets up and scores a touchdown the next play.
Yeah, that's true. It's not like he's been knocked out of a game by anyone other than himself. And the freak nature of those injuries makes me believe that he can handle contact. Hell, we've SEEN him handle contact. I just don't think there's anything definitive that would tell you he's brittle. Up to this point, it's all been kinda just bad luck. Of course a couple more of those and he'll be the next Bob Sanders.

jap

Legend
Username said:
I only say that because the nature of how the injuries occurred. The first time no one was even around him, he puts his arm down to stop from falling, and it snaps in half. The second time He dives for a catch, no one touches him, and he separates his SC joint. I think he tweaked an ankle in practice too. In between all this we see him get the shyte knocked out of him, body slammed, ran over, he still gets up and scores a touchdown the next play.

Yes, he had some freak injuries this past season. However, I was considering his entire tenure with us. You have to be a little crazy to play special teams, but you don't need to be totally devoid of all sense. I think Danny has gotten better with special teams play. The hellacious hits he absorbed that first year went down . . . somewhat. However, he does have a penchant for challenging himself physically a bit too much.

I don't know if this guy can ever play 16 games in a season the way he plays. This is what the Rams are arguing with his agent right now. I have seen some impressive tough little guys in this league, but most of them recognize that they are small and will at least attempt to mitigate unnecessary hammering if only to stay on the field.

If Danny stays, it's a plus because he benefits Sam the most as a receiver the most, and what helps Sam helps the entire team. If he leaves, we may need a replacement or two . . . or three.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
Username said:
jap said:
Username said:

Yeah, that's true. It's not like he's been knocked out of a game by anyone other than himself. And the freak nature of those injuries makes me believe that he can handle contact. Hell, we've SEEN him handle contact. I just don't think there's anything definitive that would tell you he's brittle. Up to this point, it's all been kinda just bad luck. Of course a couple more of those and he'll be the next Bob Sanders.

That's a good point, and that's why I was saying it's almost worse if you think about it that way. Is Danny considered even more injury prone because of this? It's something to think about. We need a doctor. :lol:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
jap said:
Username said:
I only say that because the nature of how the injuries occurred. The first time no one was even around him, he puts his arm down to stop from falling, and it snaps in half. The second time He dives for a catch, no one touches him, and he separates his SC joint. I think he tweaked an ankle in practice too. In between all this we see him get the shyte knocked out of him, body slammed, ran over, he still gets up and scores a touchdown the next play.

Yes, he had some freak injuries this past season. However, I was considering his entire tenure with us. You have to be a little crazy to play special teams, but you don't need to be totally devoid of all sense. I think Danny has gotten better with special teams play. The hellacious hits he absorbed that first year went down . . . somewhat. However, he does have a penchant for challenging himself physically a bit too much.

I don't know if this guy can ever play 16 games in a season the way he plays. This is what the Rams are arguing with his agent right now. I have seen some impressive tough little guys in this league, but most of them recognize that they are small and will at least attempt to mitigate unnecessary hammering if only to stay on the field.

If Danny stays, it's a plus because he benefits Sam the most as a receiver the most, and what helps Sam helps the entire team. If he leaves, we may need a replacement or two . . . or three.

GP. Someones going to need to pick up the slack on 3rd down that's for sure. Again, I don't think it's the end of the world if he's gone. It's just a tough situation to be in. I'm glad the Rams are the ones making the decisions not me. Danny has been fucking awesome to the city of St.Louis though, is a fan favorite, and a great role model for the young guns. Makes it hurt, but that's the nature of the business.