Romo's praise of Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Yea I get that. Thanks for the help guys.
Sorry, those comments weren't directly at you, this conversation is in another thread and there are a few posters who find it absurd that anyone suggests that McVay is also to credit for the calls. I get it, we have been starved of good QB play for so long that we want to revel in anything that Goff does, but let's face facts, he's a 2nd year QB(rookie by some) in a brand new system, who didn't start until later in his first season because he wasn't ready. I know Hard Knocks did a screw job on him but there was one segment where he had trouble calling out plays in a "middle school offense". It's a little unrealistic to believe that Goff has mastered McVay's offense in 11 games, and is already at that "Manning Status". I doubt Manning was Manning in his 2nd season.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
He has an inner competitiveness that gets me pretty excited. Like how we almost beat Seattle last second on those insane couple throws.

But Romo also said how much Goff controls at the line is impressive for a 2nd year QB. He said it's the most he's seen since Peyton's 2nd year. I've thought the same honestly, he's done a ton at the line this year which leads me to believe he's understanding defensive looks on a whole other level now.

And just think, last year he didn't know where the sun rose or set!

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Sorry, those comments weren't directly at you, this conversation is in another thread and there are a few posters who find it absurd that anyone suggests that McVay is also to credit for the calls. I get it, we have been starved of good QB play for so long that we want to revel in anything that Goff does, but let's face facts, he's a 2nd year QB(rookie by some) in a brand new system, who didn't start until later in his first season because he wasn't ready. I know Hard Knocks did a screw job on him but there was one segment where he had trouble calling out plays in a "middle school offense". It's a little unrealistic to believe that Goff has mastered McVay's offense in 11 games, and is already at that "Manning Status". I doubt Manning was Manning in his 2nd season.
Well I think the statement was, haven't seen someone do this much at the line of scrimmage in his 2nd year since manning. It's a little hyperbole, but Romo wasn't comparing him to in his prime Manning, and while Goff is getting help in many different ways by the coaching staff. He is making many decisions and executing at a very high level for a second year qb. Mastered the offense, of course not. Who says that. Understands what he is asked to do and why? Yes. Lets not forget it was reported some play calls had as many as 15 words in it. Lets not forget who was teaching that offense that was harder for the offense to understand then it was for the defenses they were playing against. I think it is totally believable that Goff is making the final decisions at the line of scrimmage.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Well I think the statement was, haven't seen someone do this much at the line of scrimmage in his 2nd year since manning. It's a little hyperbole, but Romo wasn't comparing him to in his prime Manning, and while Goff is getting help in many different ways by the coaching staff. He is making many decisions and executing at a very high level for a second year qb. Mastered the offense, of course not. Who says that. Understands what he is asked to do and why? Yes. Lets not forget it was reported some play calls had as many as 15 words in it. Lets not forget who was teaching that offense that was harder for the offense to understand then it was for the defenses they were playing against. I think it is totally believable that Goff is making the final decisions at the line of scrimmage.

Agree with one minor exception.

We don't know what is going on in headphone interactions or what the coaching directions are. But I suspect that Goff is both doing what the coaches are asking and adding significant input of his own, whether at the line of scrimmage or on the sidelines or in game preparation.

I would say Goff has mastered the Rams offense, actually for reasons you state and probably a long list of others if we thought about it more. As you say he is executing the offense at a very high level, I would say for any qb not just a second year guy. He has rarely if at all looked as if he did not totally understand the plays and what he needs to do. And that alone is a formidable accomplishment-- lots of veteran qbs have taken a full year to learn a new offense.

What I think we will see more of going forward is Goff learning to see the whole game in real time on the field-- all the possibilities of a particular play or matchup or defensive formation. There is no doubt a lot of outside the box stuff--say jumping out of the progressions to hit an open receiver or or calling an exotic audible-- that can only come with experience.

Goff is a serious student of the game and has great coaches. He will get "there" sooner than most people think and when he does, look out.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Did you forget the blue font? Bc there is no way you’re being serious is there? Lol
You don't think there are posters on here still downgrading Keenum because he was a UDFA?

Tony Romo with his Pro Bowler self proves that where you are drafted doesn't have a whole lot to do with how you end up as a pro.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I thought Romo was going to stink as an announcer, but he's very insightful, and much more animated than I expected. So, sorry Tony. By the way, I think he's dead on with Goff, and it was nice to hear from someone who knows what he's talking about.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don't think there are posters on here still downgrading Keenum because he was a UDFA?
I dont think anyone gives a crap about draft status, especially Rams fans who watched UDFA Kurt Warner raise the Lombardi
Alas, Case Keenum is no Kurt Warner

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Personally judging a player by his draft status or what was traded to get them is just foolish. Judge them for what they do on the field the rest is irrelevant.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I dont think anyone gives a crap about draft status, especially Rams fans who watched UDFA Kurt Warner raise the Lombardi
Alas, Case Keenum is no Kurt Warner
What a blessed career Kurt had. Imagine getting to throw to Bruce, Holt, Fitzgerald, Boldin and Hakim, with Faulk & Edge in the backfield.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a blessed career Kurt had. Imagine getting to throw to Bruce, Holt, Fitzgerald, Boldin and Hakim, with Faulk & Edge in the backfield.

agreed, but he got the best out of them. still the best qb i have ever seen. most clutch qb and the playoff stats prove it.

Scirca

Rookie
Even more impressive is that Goff is doing this even though he's hurling the ball down field. Not dink and dunking his way to eliminate turnovers

Jared Goff is the best thrower of the football in the NFL statistically. You reading this @LACHAMP46, thats a fucking tank. P.S:

the rams rank 1st in yards per pass completion, 23% more than the league average.

- goff ranks 3rd in yards per completion for passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage, 6th for passes thrown 1-10 yards in the air, 1st for passes thrown 11-20 yards in the air, 7th for passes thrown 21-30 yards in the air, and 2nd for pass thrown 31+ yards in the air.

- all told, goff's average ranking of 3.8 for the above categories puts him first among the 32 qualifying qbs.

These numbers are of November 16,2017. He's got even better stats now.
file.php

file.php

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jared Goff is the best thrower of the football in the NFL statistically. You reading this @LACHAMP46, thats a freaking tank.
file.php

file.php

Scirca, I think that first chart is pretty misleading. Bortles and Beathard are in the top 5 for god's sake.

Scirca

Rookie
Scirca, I think that first chart is pretty misleading. Bortles and Beathard are in the top 5 for god's sake.

None-the-less, which is why I said statistically. But if you were to ask me personally, I'd only put Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, and Tom Brady as better throwers of the football than Goff. But being the 4th best thrower of football in the NFL after them @23 is still amazing. Not to mention, now that Sean McVay trusts Goff, as evident by Goff having the second most attempts in the NFL after Ben Roethlisberger the past 4 weeks, he's going get even better at it. And at some point he will reach the level of seeing a guy open, but wanting to take the read that does the most damage to the defense instead, like a Ben Roethlisberger.

Last edited: