Romo out to mid season. Broken bone in back.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...garrett-tony-romo-has-broken-bone-in-his-back

Disaster has stuck in Dallas.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett announced Saturday that starting quarterback Tony Romo underwent an MRI on Friday that revealed a broken bone in his back, per David Helman of the team's official website.

Garrett labeled Romo "day-to-day" and refused to give a timetable for his return, but NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport was told by a source that the quarterback's "best-case scenario" is returning by "mid-season," noting that Romo "broke a different bone than last time" when he suffered a fracture in 2014.

"We're confident that he's going to be coming back and playing football for us this year," Garrett told reporters.

Romo was hurt three plays into Thursday's preseason game against the Seahawks, writhing on the field after taking a hit from Seattle's Cliff Avril. The passer was quickly removed from the lineup in favor of promising rookie Dak Prescott.

This is dark news for Dallas. Back injuries are especially tricky and Romo's recent career has been riddled with broken bones and upper-body setbacks. At age 36, it's fair to wonder how many more hits his body can endure.

It's a worst-case development for the Cowboys, but Prescott also brings a dash of hope. While it's dubious to judge quarterbacks off preseason action, the fourth-rounder has lit up opponents in August and made one big play after the next for the Cowboys. Prescott currently leads the NFL in completion percentage (78 percent), passing yards (454), passing touchdowns (5) and quarterback rating (137.8).

The strategy in Dallas won't change, though, with the clock-chewing Cowboys expected to ride rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott in hopes of keeping their less-than-stellar defense off the field.

For weeks, many have wondered what Prescott might accomplish in the rough-and-tumble regular season. They'll find out much sooner than anyone expected.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If Dak can get them into the play-offs, we may not see much of the brittle 36 year old Romo again.

Romo's CAP hit for 2017 is around $24.mil, and his dead money charge if released is near $19.mil. Ouch

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Makes you think twice about how much of the 1s we really want to see out there in the preseason, huh?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...garrett-tony-romo-has-broken-bone-in-his-back

Disaster has stuck in Dallas.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett announced Saturday that starting quarterback Tony Romo underwent an MRI on Friday that revealed a broken bone in his back, per David Helman of the team's official website.

Garrett labeled Romo "day-to-day" and refused to give a timetable for his return, but NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport was told by a source that the quarterback's "best-case scenario" is returning by "mid-season," noting that Romo "broke a different bone than last time" when he suffered a fracture in 2014.

"We're confident that he's going to be coming back and playing football for us this year," Garrett told reporters.

Romo was hurt three plays into Thursday's preseason game against the Seahawks, writhing on the field after taking a hit from Seattle's Cliff Avril. The passer was quickly removed from the lineup in favor of promising rookie Dak Prescott.

This is dark news for Dallas. Back injuries are especially tricky and Romo's recent career has been riddled with broken bones and upper-body setbacks. At age 36, it's fair to wonder how many more hits his body can endure.

It's a worst-case development for the Cowboys, but Prescott also brings a dash of hope. While it's dubious to judge quarterbacks off preseason action, the fourth-rounder has lit up opponents in August and made one big play after the next for the Cowboys. Prescott currently leads the NFL in completion percentage (78 percent), passing yards (454), passing touchdowns (5) and quarterback rating (137.8).

The strategy in Dallas won't change, though, with the clock-chewing Cowboys expected to ride rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott in hopes of keeping their less-than-stellar defense off the field.

For weeks, many have wondered what Prescott might accomplish in the rough-and-tumble regular season. They'll find out much sooner than anyone expected.
As much as I hate the Cowboys, this^ is Bad news for Romo! If I where him I would consider Retiring! this is a second broken bone in his Back, I would be worried about that!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
If Dak can get them into the play-offs, we may not see much of the brittle 36 year old Romo again.

Romo's CAP hit for 2017 is around $24.mil, and his dead money charge if released is near $19.mil. Ouch

I dont think Dak needs to take them to the playoffs for Romos days as the QB to be over. How can anyone, even Jerra, believe that Romo can come back in 2017 and last a full 16 games? He only made it 3 plays in preseason with what many consider the best OL in the NFL.

If Romo retires does that let Dallas off the hook as far as his 2017 cap hit? It may be worth a handshake and $10 mil to walk away and save Jerra a few $s.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I dont think Dak needs to take them to the playoffs for Romos days as the QB to be over. How can anyone, even Jerra, believe that Romo can come back in 2017 and last a full 16 games? He only made it 3 plays in preseason with what many consider the best OL in the NFL.

If Romo retires does that let Dallas off the hook as far as his 2017 cap hit? It may be worth a handshake and $10 mil to walk away and save Jerra a few $s.

I believe so, there are injury settlements made all the time.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
just saves dallas the "embarrassment" of starting Dak this year over Romo.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
As much as I hate the Cowboys, this^ is Bad news for Romo! If I where him I would consider Retiring! this is a second broken bone in his Back, I would be worried about that!

That was my exact thought. I think it's about time for Romo to call it a day. Unless he wants to be hampered or even crippled in his later life.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Makes you think twice about how much of the 1s we really want to see out there in the preseason, huh?
Naw....It's just an old QB breaking down...Romo might be done

TexasRam

Legend
pYGr5eE.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no horse in the race but IMO Tony should for himself retire. What happens if he comes back and gets hit in the back one more time?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Ask anyone who's had back surgery 10 years after the fact... You almost never hear about "it's good as new"

Back surgery is the beginning of a road that leads one way usually, even at the highest levels.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
That's a tough break for Dallas and Romo.
Romo seems like a genuinely nice guy as well.