Roger Saffold Cleared to play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Battle and Wiliiams may have all sorts of potential, but, they have not played.
Actually, Williams has played. He was put on IR. He was injured on the same play that Brown was injured. Only difference was that he stayed in and toughed it out.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Can't ever have enough help on the O-line. Big Rodg did dominate at guard before his shoulders gave way. Hopefully the surgeries fixed that issue permanently... thought I read something that said these surgeries actually make the shoulder stronger than they were pre-surgery.

It won't be a complete disaster if we see Big Rodg go down now that the O-line has some solid depth. Hopefully he gets back to mauling the shit out of people.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
They need to try him at center to see if he can injure both shoulders at the same time!:(
In related news, Saffold just elected captain of the IR list.:yess:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Saffold will be here in 2016. Base salary is now guaranteed.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
If I'm making the depth chart, I have JB on the right side in pen, and I have Wichmann/Reynolds on the left in pencil.

For now, Saffold is the swing man and I'm totally ok with that. No need to throw him in the fire from the get go, and I want to see Wichmann get a shot to start again. He impressed me at the end of the season.

fearsomefour

Legend
Actually, Williams has played. He was put on IR. He was injured on the same play that Brown was injured. Only difference was that he stayed in and toughed it out.
Brown fractured his leg, not sure how a guy is supposed to tough that out. Yeah, yeah, I know....Jack Youngblood. Injuries are different. I don't want an O lineman who was struggling anyway playing on one leg.
What I mean by play is play meaningful time....time to start to develop and time to see where he really is. Wichmann played meaningful time. Williams did not.

fearsomefour

Legend
If I'm making the depth chart, I have JB on the right side in pen, and I have Wichmann/Reynolds on the left in pencil.

For now, Saffold is the swing man and I'm totally ok with that. No need to throw him in the fire from the get go, and I want to see Wichmann get a shot to start again. He impressed me at the end of the season.
Wichmann, Reynolds, Saffold and Brown should all be in the mix for starting positions.
I think people are forgetting how overmatched Brown looked last year. Getting pushed back, not sustaining blocks, not getting to his guys....he was not good. I don't think he should be anointed anything, he has played up to that level. Reynolds was solid most of the time, Wichmann came on. Everyone else was not good at G. Based on past performance I would give Saffold an edge there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We'll see if he makes it past preseason.
(y):shocked:That would be something completely different. RS usually enters pre season injured or is injured in the first game first quarter....so yes lets see if RS can do what he has failed to do for many many seasons....make it through pre season without being injured.

Look guys & gals RS does not stay healthy long he is either #1-injured & playing bad or #2-returning to health & playing poorly or #3- RS is on the IR missing many games after being paid big $$$ to be the mainstay top starting OL'er.

Whatever you or the Org plans for RS remaining on the field & playing good as a long time starter is NOT going to happen. Any NFL team who would plan on using RS to bring continuity & consistency to the overall OL is IMO living in nothing but hopes & dreams. One thing we know for certain is...... if you plan on RS being a good starter @ ORG or OLG RS will be disappointing & your plan will fall apart real fast. You will not develop & maintain a constant same OL each & every week with a Saffoldas your starter. With Saffold throw that out the window.

One would think after having so many revolving changing OL starters each week season after season that fielding the same OL unit each week would be a priority???????. I would not have RS involved in my OL plans in 2016 as being a starter. He would NOT be in contention for a starting position early in 2016.

If I were making plans as to who was going to be involved with the LEFT OG post ...I am going with Garrett Reynolds, Jamon Brown, Darrell Williams & David Arkin as OLG prospects. Those four can fight it out I see no reason or need for Saffold to be involved.

The RIGHT OG post should have Cody Wichmann, Andrew Donnal, Brian Folkerts & either (Reynolds or Brown)whichever one loose out @ starting OLG to contend to start @ Right OG. Those four can fight it out & once again I see no reason for inserting Saffold into the fray.

I would suspect that Garrett Reynolds will continue to prove to be the best starter as he did last season @ LEFT OG thus Rams will have need of a #1 game day reserve & there is no other Ram OL who would fill this position better than Rodger Saffold. This is a very important spot. RS has starting NFL experience @ four OL posts. It also would allow RS to spend more time with GRob when problems & stress arrive during games.

Perfect. RS's main negatives do not come into play holding down this important position. On top of that it permits RS to get stronger & puts more time between him & those surgeries.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
For me this OL starting combo is simple...

Best 5 start. Period.

GRob and Hav are locks to start at the OT positions, and Barnes looks like a lock at C barring a surprise draft pick.

So now we're down to the OG's. Like I said, best players start. And make them prove it on the field.

Frankly, Brown or Saffold must beat out Reynolds, if you ask me.

Same thing on the other side. Brown or Saffold must beat out Wichmann.

My druthers? Based on what we know presently?

GRob, Reynolds. Barnes, Brown, Hav. Leaving Saffold first off the bench as injury replacement. I don't have confidence in Saffold's ability to remain healthy, so the continuity factor is my tie breaker.

However...

If Saffold proves healthy with shoulders that really are better than new and blows up his play in camp, he could be a Pro Bowler ala his play in '13. If so, hallelujah! All bets are off. Lol.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
His shoulders are going to be the key.

If, now that they are both rebuilt and stronger than original, he holds up, it's entirely possible that he could regain his Pro-Bowl form.

However, let's not let GRob off the hook. If the only reason the OL gelled was because Reynolds was holding his hand, then GRob needs to get a blanket party at training camp or something because frankly, I'm sick and tired of him not putting in the work to be a damned professional. He's got all day and night to work at his craft and the Rams need to be able to put out the BEST players, not the guy who helps GRob the best.

I'm fairly certain that a healthy Saffold is preferable to a healthy Reynolds at LG. And we all know that the only reason Reynolds would get the nod over Saffold if both were healthy is NOT because Reynolds was the better player, but because GRob was still not holding his own jock in year 3.

That would be unacceptable to me. Last year, I still got it based on compiled games and with how much they moved him around...even with word he wasn't fully applying himself.

No more. The OL is a unit and as much as we want to hold Saffold's feet (shoulders) to the fire, frankly, plenty if not more is on GRob, imho.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
, he holds up, it's entirely possible that he could regain his Pro-Bowl form.
Question here Mackeyser can you please help me out on my below questions?

What period of time did we see Saffold's Pro Bowl form?
How may complete seasons was Saffold in Pro Bowl form?
What post was Saffold playing at in pro bowl form?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
(y):shocked:That would be something completely different. RS usually enters pre season injured or is injured in the first game first quarter....so yes lets see if RS can do what he has failed to do for many many seasons....make it through pre season without being injured.

Look guys & gals RS does not stay healthy long he is either #1-injured & playing bad or #2-returning to health & playing poorly or #3- RS is on the IR missing many games after being paid big $$$ to be the mainstay top starting OL'er.

Whatever you or the Org plans for RS remaining on the field & playing good as a long time starter is NOT going to happen. Any NFL team who would plan on using RS to bring continuity & consistency to the overall OL is IMO living in nothing but hopes & dreams. One thing we know for certain is...... if you plan on RS being a good starter @ ORG or OLG RS will be disappointing & your plan will fall apart real fast. You will not develop & maintain a constant same OL each & every week with a Saffoldas your starter. With Saffold throw that out the window.

One would think after having so many revolving changing OL starters each week season after season that fielding the same OL unit each week would be a priority???????. I would not have RS involved in my OL plans in 2016 as being a starter. He would NOT be in contention for a starting position early in 2016.

If I were making plans as to who was going to be involved with the LEFT OG post ...I am going with Garrett Reynolds, Jamon Brown, Darrell Williams & David Arkin as OLG prospects. Those four can fight it out I see no reason or need for Saffold to be involved.

The RIGHT OG post should have Cody Wichmann, Andrew Donnal, Brian Folkerts & either (Reynolds or Brown)whichever one loose out @ starting OLG to contend to start @ Right OG. Those four can fight it out & once again I see no reason for inserting Saffold into the fray.

I would suspect that Garrett Reynolds will continue to prove to be the best starter as he did last season @ LEFT OG thus Rams will have need of a #1 game day reserve & there is no other Ram OL who would fill this position better than Rodger Saffold. This is a very important spot. RS has starting NFL experience @ four OL posts. It also would allow RS to spend more time with GRob when problems & stress arrive during games.

Perfect. RS's main negatives do not come into play holding down this important position. On top of that it permits RS to get stronger & puts more time between him & those surgeries.

Agree with everything you said, dudes always going down its almost expected for me now. Give the younger guys his spot and make him a back up if anything imo.