Robinson solid in first start --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Robinson solid in first start
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_48f812e0-9ab2-55dc-8605-b8b7b245f5dc.html

Greg Robinson heard a lot of hype about five-time Pro Bowler Justin Smith during the practice week, particularly about Smith’s reputation as one of the strongest players in the league.

But he wasn’t nervous about his Monday night initiation into the NFL.

“I’m pretty strong myself,” he said.

There certainly were some collisions between Robinson, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 draft, and Smith, the star defensive lineman from San Francisco via the University of Missouri.

“He caught me off guard a few times,” Robinson said. “It’s just something that I wasn’t ready for — early in the game he did hit me a few times. I was like, ‘Whoa! You gotta catch up.’

“But I adjusted well. The few plays he caught me off guard, I felt it. That was my goal, to make him feel me. ... I tried my best to make him respect me.”

That respect came right after the game ended — a 31-17 San Francisco victory.

“I talked to (Smith) after the game,” Robinson said. “He was like, ‘Good game. You just keep working.’”

After being limited in the Rams’ first four games to special teams work and just a handful of plays on the offensive line, Robinson made his first NFL start at left guard against San Francisco.

On the Rams’ opening series, Smith got the best of Robinson, tackling Tavon Austin for just a two-yard gain on a run up the middle. (It was enough, however, for a first down.) A few plays later, Robinson was asked to make a block on the second level, but couldn’t get to linebacker Michael Wilhoite who tackled ball carrier Zac Stacy for a one-yard loss inside the San Francisco 5.

The Rams still finished that drive with a touchdown. On the Rams’ second TD drive, a Robinson block on Smith helped seal the hole for Tre Mason’s 24-yard run — the Rams’ longest run of the season.

In the second quarter, the ’Niners tried to get Robinson with some movement, sending linebacker Dan Skuta his way up the middle. Skuta eventually worked his way past Robinson to drop quarterback Austin Davis for a one-yard sack. But on the play, Davis was looking deep and missed two open receivers underneath in Benny Cunningham and Tavon Austin.

“There are things I need to work on,” Robinson said. “There was a lot of good and a lot of bad.”

There was more good than bad. Robinson really had few missteps, but he was a strong run blocker and wasn’t a liability as a pass blocker.

“I thought it was a good really solid first effort,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “He’s only gonna get better. He played against a really good player (Monday) and didn’t have any significant issues.”

And from offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer: “It was fun to watch him match up with Justin Smith — another big, physical guy. He did a lot of really good things, really did. I thought it was a winning performance for his first time out there.”

The Rams drafted Robinson over other highly-regarded offensive linemen — such as Texas A&M’s Jake Matthews, Michigan’s Taylor Lewan, and Notre Dame’s Zack Martin — because of his size, strength, and physicality. The better to match up against the big, brawny defensive lines in the NFC West.

But playing a run-heavy offense in college at Auburn, Robinson needed a lot of work on pass-blocking — both on techniques and grasp of an NFL scheme.

Compounding matters was the fact that Robinson was working at tackle and guard during training camp and the preseason, meaning he had to basically learn twice as much. And at guard, things come at you even faster than they do at tackle where you have a little more time to react.

“He’s come on,” Fisher said. “He’s progressed over the last few weeks. We got together as a staff last week. We made the decision to put him in there at guard.”

Robinson’s gain proved to be Davin Joseph’s loss. With Robinson moving to left guard, Rodger Saffold moved from left guard to right guard. Joseph, the veteran pickup from Tampa Bay in free agency, had started the first four games at right guard.

“He deserves it,” Joseph said of Robinson. “He’s here for a reason, right? He’s here to play, and he’s gonna play. So I’m happy for him, and if there’s anything I can do for him. I will do for him.”

Obviously, Joseph wasn’t thrilled about the demotion.

“You’re a competitor,” he said. “Everybody competes here. But you can’t be selfish — like it’s me vs. him. We’re all on the same page. We’re all about winning, and that’s our goal.”

Given Robinson’s lofty draft status and physical attributes, it was only a matter of time before Robinson took over.

“He’s a great player,” Joseph said. “He’s gonna be here for a very, very long time. With him in the lineup we’re definitely gonna be a better team.”

As frustrating as it was watching from the sideline for four games, Robinson now realizes he’s a better player for it.

“I tried my best not to get discouraged and just keep my head up and try to work hard every day,” he said. “I learned a lot from Davin and a lot of guys that I was sitting back watching. They helped me along with it, and I don’t really regret anything the coaches did. I think they helped me out more than it hurt me.

“Week 1, even though I wanted to play as bad as I wanted to, I really wasn’t ready. So I think this whole process was set up to be what it is now, and I think it has paid off.”

The Rams face NFC West foe Seattle on Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome.

iced

glad he's finally on the field - and joseph is off.. Kid played well in his first game

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good stuff. Time for Robinson to gain experience and learn on the job. I also like having a vet on the bench ready to sub in if needed(Joseph).

jap

Legend
Alrighty now! The projected best OL lineup is officially in play. Let's smack the SuperBowl champions around like it's our damn business to do so! With GRob and Beetlejuice manning the guard spots, we can definitely start running inside with regularity and take some much needed pressure off of our virtual rookie QB.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I sort of think the coaches wanted him to go in and stay in once there instead of hurrying him and having to bench him because he wasn't ready,o-line doesn't rotate like d-line ,they were much more capable of easing AD into the lineup.
Yeah IMO we now have an answer to Justin "Cowboy" Smith damn the Bengals , I wanted us to draft him

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Alrighty now! The projected best OL lineup is officially in play. Let's smack the SuperBowl champions around like it's our damn business to do so! With GRob and Beetlejuice manning the guard spots, we can definitely start running inside with regularity and take some much needed pressure off of our virtual rookie QB.
I want GRob / Gregzilla to clean Brandon Mebanes clock

jap

Legend
I want GRob / Gregzilla to clean Brandon Mebanes clock

Hell yeah!!! That guy destroyed our OL almost by himself in the 2nd 'Hawk game last season. GRob/Gregzilla was drafted most specifically for Justin Smith and Mebanes. If we can run on the 'Hawks, the safeties have to move up, and we will expose Little Richard Sherman against our big wideouts, Kenny and Brian. Can you say, "Truck City"? :sneaky::ROFLMAO:

lasvegasrams

Rookie
Yes, as others have noted before, Pace wasn't starting until week 5 or 6 as a rookie.

We need an effective run game, and a contain on Wussy Wilson so he doesn't scramble for many yards and is forced to pass.

Davis cannot have yet another pick 6, if it ain't there, aim for Greg Williams' face on the sideline.

Least Mode needs to be checked by Donald and Brockers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm sure GRob is gonna have his ups and downs the next several weeks while he settles in. Seattle will test him, and probably get to him I'm sure, but it's a great sign that he handled Smith like he did.

That running game has to be on point vs Seattle. The Rams' offense needs to be ready to punt and play field position if necessary over risky throws. This is a big game for AD just as much as it is for GRob and the OL.

That's where I'm at right now. Want to see a strong ball-control offense effort, and some good defense. If we win, great. But I'm back to tracking improvement and admitting to myself this team isn't gonna do anything special this season.

cracengl

Rookie
Wait, so he's not Jason Smith? I thought he was Jason Smith? I thought we were shitty drafters too?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good decision by the Rams Org. It was time to get his future ...his all pro career as a starter against Justin! Most of us knew that Davin Joseph's time @ORG was a short period. Next possible improvement upgrade to consider is @ center with one of three reserves.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yes, as others have noted before, Pace wasn't starting until week 5 or 6 as a rookie.

We need an effective run game, and a contain on Wussy Wilson so he doesn't scramble for many yards and is forced to pass.

Davis cannot have yet another pick 6, if it ain't there, aim for Greg Williams' face on the sideline.

Least Mode needs to be checked by Donald and Brockers.

Bonus points if he hits him in the goatee.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Glad to see Robinson on the field, and he looked pretty good to me. It is annoying that we plug in a guy to fill a hole on the OL just as another one opens up, but I'm hoping Barrett Jones is all I've dreamed and Long just needs more time and reps coming back from his knee.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Glad to see Robinson on the field, and he looked pretty good to me. It is annoying that we plug in a guy to fill a hole on the OL just as another one opens up, but I'm hoping Barrett Jones is all I've dreamed and Long just needs more time and reps coming back from his knee.

Just be glad that the Rams drafted a top LT type, even if he needs development time, since Long is looking pretty toasty. Imagine if the Rams needed to replace Long in the offseason, and were looking at a new center, and a new guard too this offseason.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Glad he played good I thought he would struggle a little so im glad I was wrong on that one.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I really wanna run right over the Hawks this week - Cunningham and Mason then have Quick burn Sherman for a long TD catch.