Rob Ryan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Damn, watching the saints defense really kinda pisses me off that for about 10 minutes we had that coach....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't like the attention he gets, but yeah he can coach a defense and brings attitude.

I wish he was here too.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Damn, watching the saints defense really kinda pisses me off that for about 10 minutes we had that coach....

Yea, I have been thinking the same thing the past few weeks! I am still not sure what happened between him and Fisher.

F. Mulder

Starter
I just like that he, and others I also like, make YOU beat them and not play a passive Defense and HOPE for mistakes. These types of pressure Ds give up big plays and there are games when they can be scorched if blitzes are picked up, press coverage is defeated, someone misses an assignment, or a great individual offensive player's effort but I'll take that risk when compared to being bled to death by paper cuts which is what our D often reminds me of. It seems so against how Fisher is programmed but what do I know. :jerkoff:

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Part of me thinks it has to do with Ryan liking the 3-4

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think his preference for the 3/4 had a lot to do with it. One thing with Ryan though is that he either wears out his welcome or teams figure his D out. I am not sure which, but you see the same thing with Wade Phillips.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Yeah, I seem to recall the rest of the staff did not support his lean toward the 3-4, even if he was willing to mix or depart from it, should he come to St Louis.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Makes sense.

Going to a team with Drew Brees and Asshole Face not a bad gamble on his part, either.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Pretty damn easy to coach a defense when you have Drew Brees and a offense on the other side of the ball giving you a lead to play call with.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty damn easy to coach a defense when you have Drew Brees and a offense on the other side of the ball giving you a lead to play call with.
Wasn't that easy last year when they were the worst defense in nfl history

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Wasn't that easy last year when they were the worst defense in nfl history
Apples and Oranges Jugg, Spags and Co's performance was greatly effected by Bountygate and Brees missed Asshole Face as did EVERY OTHER player on that team.
Look at it this way if you will,THIS THREAD is about the difference a coach makes ,so apply that to a HC as well.

I personally see it like this,with a lead Ryan is bold enough to come after you and he's won 6 home games ,on the road he's 2-2 and has a loss to a rookie QB, he's OK,even good, but I in no way think it's a done deal we would be better with him and our personnel is not suited for the system he wants, Monte Kiffen ( an UNQUESTIONED defensive master) is struggling with the Ryan personnel trying to transition the Cowboys to his system and going the other way would have a good chance of being how our season could have gone.

Scott Linehan is looking like a genius with Megatron and Matthew Stafford,but I don't want him back.

Psycho_X

Legend
Makes sense.

Going to a team with Drew Brees and Asshole Face not a bad gamble on his part, either.

No kidding, it's a lot easier to play a all risk, all out type defense when you have a QB that can almost effortlessly drives the ball into the endzone 4 or 5 times a game at least. Ryan is a perfect fit in New Orleans with the type of players they already had in place and the type of offense they deploy. My god what a joke Spags made of that defense last year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

From what I have seen from the Saints this season is they can and do play many types of defenses and do it very well. 34, 43, 52's whatever...it just seems to work. And hell yes having the Drew running things sure is a very big help! The guy is just magical! The Saints have the TUDE on Offense & Defense....Wish the Rams could work up some of that.

Not so sure how the Ram defense would look like as a 34??? Fisher used four LB'ers last yr with JL & Josh Hull on the goal line but not much. Rams do have some possible elements of a Rob Ryan defense..

NT-Brockers/Cudjo= Ryan would have needed another NT.
DL-Hayes/Sims/Landford/Conrath/Brodine =this looks to be exceptionally strong.
OSLB/DE-Quinn/Long/Rivers/Brown = this is the trouble spot...IMO you take away these two starting 43 DE's best position.
ILB- JL/Dunbar/Ogletree/Spoon/Bates/Armstrong=this looks very strong too.

I do not like Rob Ryan myself or his style but sure works now in Orleans...& what my team has done on defense this season is a pure mess (outside the Colts game)...Rams have tons of young talent much more than the Saints do on defense IMO ...the Ram D issues has provided me with much displeasure towards Fisher & Walton from where I thought we were going after last season. It does seem that 34 defenses have a much larger college talent pool to select from each NFL draft.

Its still early but I sure see three very strong defenses in the NFC Saints, Panthers & Seahawks... two of them are sure to be playing in the NFC championship game. Rob Ryan made the right choice on avoiding the Rams & boosted his star capacity in his future career IMO.

The comment on Spags ...yes it sure provides us Ram fans another element on just how bad Spags was as a HC for the Rams & what size of that deep hole we had to get out of.. who would have thought that Scott Linehan could be a step up from Spags???? When I look back at where the Rams have traveled from for close to a decade to where we are today with Fisher....It brings a smile...:cool: & that displeasure I mentioned earlier not seem as bad.

Last edited by a moderator: