Rob Rang calls Mason a “Spectacular” Pick for the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

The CBSSports.com NFL Draft crew breaks down the St. Louis Rams’ 3rd round pick Tre Mason. Rob Rang calls it a “Spectacular” pick for the Rams…"another home run for the Rams who are playing the draft beautifully and letting it come to them."

V3

Hall of Fame
One thing they didn't mention was the fact that Stacey would get dinged up almost every game. It wasn't anything major but it would force him to miss some snaps. That's another big reason I think they did this.

moklerman

Warner-phile
One thing they didn't mention was the fact that Stacey would get dinged up almost every game. It wasn't anything major but it would force him to miss some snaps. That's another big reason I think they did this.
I know there are a lot of factors involved but as much as I like Stacy and have a good impression of him, his numbers were a bit lacking overall. 3.9 ypc was a surprise to me. I would have bet money he was over 4.0 and it made me wonder if he simply looked good in comparison to the other guys?

V3

Hall of Fame
I know there are a lot of factors involved but as much as I like Stacy and have a good impression of him, his numbers were a bit lacking overall. 3.9 ypc was a surprise to me. I would have bet money he was over 4.0 and it made me wonder if he simply looked good in comparison to the other guys?

I think there might be some skewed stats somewhere.; Like a bad game that brought the average way down or the fact that everyone knew we couldn't pass the ball so Stacey's production went down. I agree, the 3.9 seems low.

AnarchyRam

Rookie

That's what I was thinking. I really wanted us to get Mason, purely for his running ability. Thought he, out of all of the RB's, has the best chance to be a dynamic and productive runner to pair with Stacy and also Cunningham.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Yeah. I think the 3 road division games ate into his average. Particularly the last game against Seattle (15 yards on 15 carries).

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think there might be some skewed stats somewhere.; Like a bad game that brought the average way down or the fact that everyone knew we couldn't pass the ball so Stacey's production went down. I agree, the 3.9 seems low.
Obviously, the hope is that once Bradford comes back that defenses won't be able to key on Stacy as much but even in the Carolina game, his ypc was pretty low. Compared to Richardson, Stacy looked all-world but it's sobering to think that as good as he played, maybe he isn't as good as perceived.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
One thing Mason brings to us in the running game is the "home run" threat. This guy can make people miss and take it to the house at any given time. He also catches the ball well coming out into the flat.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Obviously, the hope is that once Bradford comes back that defenses won't be able to key on Stacy as much but even in the Carolina game, his ypc was pretty low. Compared to Richardson, Stacy looked all-world but it's sobering to think that as good as he played, maybe he isn't as good as perceived.

No, he really was that good. If you take out a few games where like Arizona and Seattle go all in on stopping Stacy because they didn't have to worry about Clemens, his average goes way up.

Next year, with Sam in the game and Robinson blocking for him, he should be very effective.

In the Carolina game, for example, their defense DID key in on Stacy and do everything to stop him, and he was still churning out a few yards in 8-10 man boxes, and if you noticed that was Sam's best game, the passing offense was really clicking, it looked top 10, we just made too many mistakes like dropped passes, INTs, and tripping penalties. So if teams do everything to stop Stacy, there are consequences.

moklerman

Warner-phile
No, he really was that good. If you take out a few games where like Arizona and Seattle go all in on stopping Stacy because they didn't have to worry about Clemens, his average goes way up.

Next year, with Sam in the game and Robinson blocking for him, he should be very effective.

In the Carolina game, for example, their defense DID key in on Stacy and do everything to stop him, and he was still churning out a few yards in 8-10 man boxes, and if you noticed that was Sam's best game, the passing offense was really clicking, it looked top 10, we just made too many mistakes like dropped passes, INTs, and tripping penalties. So if teams do everything to stop Stacy, there are consequences.
I don't disagree and hope that is truly the case. I'd hate for Stacy to become a flash in the pan and not really have been as good as he seemed. Not predicting anything like that, especially with all the circumstances, the stats were just unexpected.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't disagree and hope that is truly the case. I'd hate for Stacy to become a flash in the pan and not really have been as good as he seemed. Not predicting anything like that, especially with all the circumstances, the stats were just unexpected.

last year he had williams blocking for him.

this year he will have robinson blocking for him.

somehow i think he will have a better ypc moving forward.

MizzOU

UDFA
I really liked Andre Williams over Mason. Big guy, could be an every down back with his pass protection skills

duckhunter

Starter
My initial thoughts were positive. I didn't look at the RBs that hard other than later guys when I thought the Rams might get one later than earlier. Seems Mason slipped a little and the Rams thought he was a steal in the third. A lot to like though with the production and athletics numbers. Seems more like an every down back than a 3rd down complementary back. He looked good in games and does have the outside speed if that is what Jeff was talking about as a complementary guy.

I wonder if Auburn's simple run option offense had anything to do with his dropping some.

Usually, get no worthwhile or unbiased info from other teams that selected RBs earlier.

Shouldn't have long to wait though since RBs can shine early if they have it.

jap

Legend
I actually liked Cunningham better than Stacy in the few touches he got.

Yeah, Benny and his jets may prove to be very, very special. He is faster than Zac the Mack (Truck), although I don't believe he is quicker or makes better decisions choosing holes or making cuts at this point. I am not sure he has better balance than Zac either.

With Mason aboard the U.S.S. Horns, I wonder how much of a fight Isaiah Pead will put up this time. I suspect he assumed the #2 role behind SJ was guaranteed to him his rookie season, until DRich earned it outright over him. I felt, even with limited touches, he outplayed DRich last year, to the point that DRich couldn't even get on the field during the latter half of the season. However, Pead stepped up and became a better special teams player. Hopefully, he is gonna fight for the 3rd-down back role as he has the best hands of any RB not named Tavon and the best pass blocking ability on the RB crew.