'Riverboat Ron' nearly dropped anchor in St. Louis/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
'Riverboat Ron' nearly dropped anchor in St. Louis

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...0-b90e-cd70cea6650a.html#.VrGcjdAHpZw.twitter

Ron Rivera was so close to becoming the Rams’ coach in 2006, he was in the on-deck circle.

If owner Georgia Frontiere hadn’t hit it off with Scott Linehan in what amounted to a final interview in Sedona, Ariz., that January, Rivera would’ve been Mike Martz’s successor in St. Louis. He was, in fact, scheduled to come in the next day.

“He was a finalist,” long-time team president John Shaw recalled Tuesday in a phone interview. “I remember his interview was very impressive. He was sincere, down-to-earth, but we also knew he would bring a toughness to the team.”

It was an interesting and wide-ranging candidate list, one that included Gregg Williams (now the Rams’ defensive coordinator), Mike Zimmer (now the Minnesota Vikings’ coach), and Cam Cameron (now offensive coordinator at Louisiana State University), among others.

In the midst of preparing his Carolina Panthers for the Super Bowl game on Sunday against Denver, Rivera was asked about the job that almost was in St. Louis.

“I thought the interview process was good,” Rivera said. “I thought it was very fair. I liked the opportunity they gave. At the end of the day they decided to go with an offensive coach.

“That was their decision, I think at the time they felt they wanted to try and emulate what they had previously with the ‘Greatest Show on Turf.’ That was an explosive offense.”

Rivera’s recollection was spot-on. Martz’s highly-successful but at times tumultuous tenure with the Rams came to an abrupt end following the 2005 campaign — a season in which Martz missed the final 11 games because of illness.

But the Rams were just one year removed from the playoffs, and several of the “Greatest Show” mainstays still were around.

“We wanted to keep some continuity going on offense, with that side of the ball,” Shaw said. “We still had Isaac (Bruce) and Torry (Holt) and Orlando (Pace). Marc Bulger had replaced Kurt (Warner) at quarterback, but we just thought it would be easier to find an offensive-minded head coach and get a good defensive coordinator.”

Rather than the other way around. That was the nature of the available talent pool at the time.

So they went with Linehan, who hit it off with Frontiere at that meeting in part because he had brought with him a copy of the movie “Miracle” about the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team. They watched it in Sedona the night Linehan was hired.

Rivera, only 44 at the time, had just two years’ experience as defensive coordinator of Lovie Smith’s Chicago Bears. Seasoning, or lack thereof, might have been a worry for Shaw and fellow team president Jay Zygmunt.

“That was a little bit of concern with all three of them,” Shaw said, referring to finalists Linehan, Rivera, and bronze medalist Cameron.

“Well, back then I thought I was ready,” said Rivera, who turned 54 last month. “In retrospect, when you look back at it, I’ve grown a lot. I’ve grown a lot on this job so I might not have been ready looking at it now — from this perspective.”

An Army brat born in Fort Ord, Calif., Rivera also lived in Germany, Panama, Washington, D.C., and Maryland growing up before returning to Seaside, Calif. — about 70 miles south of Levi’s Stadium, where Super Bowl 50 will be played.

After the near-miss with the Rams, he would have to wait four more years until he finally got that head-coaching job — succeeding John Fox with the Panthers in 2011.

“He’s done a great job with Carolina, hasn’t he?” Shaw asked.

For sure. After a 13-19 start in his first two years on the job, Rivera’s Panthers have won three consecutive NFC South titles and arrived in the Bay Area this week with a 17-1 record after bullying NFC West heavyweights Seattle and Arizona in the playoffs.

Once criticized for his conservative ways, Rivera has grown into the job to the point that he picked up the nickname “Riverboat Ron” in 2013, his breakout 12-4 season.

In his first 34 games in Carolina, the Panthers were 2-14 in games decided by fewer than seven points. But early in that ’13 season, Rivera started taking more chances and going for it more often on fourth down. And the wins started piling up.

“Even in just the three years that I’ve been here, he’s a better coach every year,” Panthers special teams coordinator Bruce DeHaven said. “He’s like a better coach every week. He’s not satisfied with the status quo.”

Rivera seems to be respected on several levels by his players. They like the fact that he played in the league (nine seasons at linebacker for Chicago), and won a Super Bowl (30 years ago with coach Mike Ditka’s Bears).

“It’s special because he’s been there, done that,” safety Tre Boston said. “He’s played in the league and knows what it takes as a player and a coach to get to this level. ... He knows what’s it’s like to have two-a-days, to be hurt and have to play.”

So Rivera knows how to deal with players over the course of the long, grinding NFL season.

On another level, lots of coaches talk about having an open-door policy for players. But Rivera goes beyond that. He takes the time to get out from behind his desk and spend time with the players in the locker room.

Although he’s anything but a floor mat for the players, he doesn’t try to suppress their personality in the control-freak fashion that typifies some NFL coaches.

“He’s been so transparent for us as players,” quarterback Cam Newton said. “He’s always made himself available not only for the coaches and the players but for anyone family-oriented in the organization.”

He’s also 50-34-1 since taking over the Panthers in 2011. Meanwhile, the Rams are 29-50-1 over that span. Who knows what might have been had Riverboat Ron dropped anchor under the Gateway Arch a decade ago?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
We likely would've put a huge dent in his coaching career had we hired him instead of Linehan. The front office we had that time was just atrocious.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
A better coach, but probably not the right guy at the time. Better for RR that we didn't hire him for a number of reasons. Linny was the perfect anchor for that sinking ship. Man how the worm turned when that worm took over...

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Note to self: Bring a movie along to interviews when vying for an NFL job.

Right? Maybe I should just bring props to my next interview in general.

That was an interesting takeaway from the article. I'm sure it wasn't THE reason, but if it was.....talk about ineptitude of ownership. But that was already a given with Georgia.

Psycho_X

Legend
We likely would've put a huge dent in his coaching career had we hired him instead of Linehan. The front office we had that time was just atrocious.

Got to agree with this, the front office was a joke and Georgia died two years later creating a vacuum where money was tight and leadership was null. I was actually hoping for Rivera. Being that I live in Bears country I had watched a lot of their games and watched his interviews from time to time. I really thought he'd make a good coach some day. But I don't think anyone would have been successful with this organization in the 5 year period starting in 2006. Maybe not Spagnuolo bad but we were destined to be a loser over that time. It was the start of the end for football in St. Louis.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If "that woman" hadn't hit it off with Scott Linehan in what amounted to a final interview (and movie date).

Thanks for that peek behind the curtain shaw.

:palm:

Those were dark dark times.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How Ron Rivera almost became Rams' head coach
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-ron-rivera-almost-became-the-rams-head-coach

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As the Los Angeles Rams have wandered through a desolate decade of losing, there have been plenty of what-ifs along the way.

What if they had drafted or signed this player instead of that player? What if they haa made some change to the scheme sooner? The list goes on. Near the top of that list of what-ifs is, what would have happened had they hired different leadership along the way?

In 2006, the Rams had a difficult decision for head coach between Scott Linehan and Ron Rivera. As you know, the Rams went with Linehan, who hit it off with then-owner Georgia Frontiere to edge out Rivera.

On Wednesday, stltoday.com's Jim Thomas revisited the series of events that led to Linehan getting the nod.

It's interesting to look back and wonder how or if things would have been different with Rivera, though they couldn't have been much worse than they were with Linehan, who simply didn't have the personality to lead a locker room. Linehan went 11-25 in two-plus seasons before he was fired. He's now the offensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys.

Rivera, on the other hand, had to wait and wait before the Carolina Panthers finally gave him an opportunity to be a head coach. Rivera had a rough start but has turned the corner in part because of an impressive willingness to adapt and change on the job. His "Riverboat Ron" persona is a prime example of that change and has yielded major results.

At the time, the Rams were coming out of the "Greatest Show on Turf" era and were still committed to having a high-octane offense. Problem was, they made the common mistake of trying to hire the opposite of the coach that had just been let go. So they went with Linehan, who was different than Mike Martz in personality but not necessarily in team-building philosophy.

The rest, as they say, is history.