RIP Gary Jeter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Former Rams DE #77 has passed away. Prayers go out to his friends and family. RIP big man.
image.jpeg

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
The longer we live, the more we have to say goodbye.

I remember him from the mid eighties Rams. Solid player and IIRC, great human being.

Goodbye Gary.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
When I was young we got all of the Giants and Jets games on local cable......despite being in the middle of Pa. I kind of had a following on both teams and got to like them. I loved Jeter and was so happy to see him become a Ram.

Sad to see him gone at the age of 61. I hear the names Jeter, Gastineau and Klecko and it always brings me back to those days when I was really discovering a love for football...........

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.todayspigskin.com/pigskin-news/former-rams-de-gary-jeter-passes-away/

Former Rams DE Gary Jeter passes away
ByJon Schlosser

A Cleveland native, Jeter went to Cathedral Latin School and then played his college ball at USC. He got his first start as a freshman in just his third game, and he never gave the spot back, starting until he left USC after playing in the 1977 Rose Bowl. He helped the Trojans win the National Title in 1974.

Jeter was then drafted with the fifth overall pick in the 1977 NFL Draft by the New York Giants. He made the All-Rookie team in 1977, recording three sacks for the Giants. He got progressively better, getting three sacks in 1978 and four in 1979. It’s clear that 1980 was his first year as a star, though, as he put up 10 sacks—the most on the team—and was a Pro Bowl alternate.

In 1985, after being traded to the Los Angeles Rams and dealing with back issues, he put up 11 sacks and won the Comeback Player of the Year award. It was in Los Angeles that he was turned into a designated pass rusher, used specifically to go after quarterbacks, and some of his most productive years were with the Rams.

Though back issues eventually caused him to retire from the league, he had a prolific career, ending it with a total of 52.0 sacks. He played in 168 games and was a significant participant, despite not always being designated as a starter, because of the niche role that was crafted for him.

Jeter leaves behind four daughters.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's from my hometown.......

61 and he is dead.........what happened?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My prayers and thoughts are with Gary Jeter and his family....God Bless you Sir and thanks for the memories of being a great Ram!
pearly-gates-landscape-11185616.jpg

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Rest in peace big man.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Prayers go out to his family and friends, after watching Concussion last night, it sure does make you think...