RIP Garo Yepremian

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Some of us old-timers remember watching this man kick for the Dolphins.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/16/garo-yepremian-passes-away-at-age-70/

Reports: Garo Yepremian passes away at age 70
Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 16, 2015

309x550-e1431751171167.jpg
Getty Images

Former NFL placekicker Garo Yepremian, a member of two Super Bowl-winning clubs with the Dolphins, passed away Friday at age 70 due to cancer, according to CBS 3 in Philadelphia and The Associated Press.

Yepremian had been diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2014. More than a decade earlier, he had created a foundation devoted to fighting brain cancer after his daughter-in-law had been stricken with a brain tumor.

In 14 NFL seasons from 1966 through 1981, Yepremian connected on 210-of-313 field goals, twice making the Pro Bowl. In addition to nine seasons with Miami, Yepremian had stints with the Lions, Saints and Buccaneers.

Yepremian will forever have a little place in NFL history for his failed passing attempt in Super Bowl VII against Washington. After having a field goal blocked, Yepremian picked up the bouncing ball and tried to throw it. However, the ball slipped out of his right hand, and he deflected it forward into the hands of Washington’s Mike Bass, who returned it for a touchdown. Nevertheless, Miami held on for a 14-7 victory, the first of the franchise’s back-to-back Super Bowl titles.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9enWbbLIHrk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garo_Yepremian

A native of Cyprus, Yepremian emigrated to the United States in 1966 and, after watching the NFL on television, was convinced he could play the game. He received tryouts, after which the Lions signed him as their kicker for two seasons. Yepremian left to serve in the United States Army for 1968 and, unable to reclaim his job with the Lions when he return, played in the Continental Football League for a season before spending the next nine seasons with the Dolphins.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Sad to hear, RIP Garo!!
It always make me feel ' Mortal' when someone my exact age passes!!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
309x550-e1431751171167.jpg
A native of Cyprus, Yepremian emigrated to the United States in 1966 and, after watching the NFL on television, was convinced he could play the game. He received tryouts, after which the Lions signed him as their kicker for two seasons.

I wonder how many people laughed at him when he said he saw the game on tv, and knew he could play it?

I read a story,where there was a guy a few years back, at would show up to open Rams practices. Apparently, he would run the defensive back or wr drills off to the side when the other players were running them, hoping to get the coaches attention. I believe one of the coaches made the remark that he was'nt that bad. Not great, but not to shabby.