RIP Ernie Shavers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you grew up in the 70’s, you remember Ernie Shavers. He was a top contender for the heavyweight championship for several years. He had many notable matches, with one in particular against Muhammad Ali. He beat Ali that night and knocked him down (Ali), but didn’t knock the champ out and lost in a split decision. It was such an injustice in my young mind that I hated Ali for a long time after that. Ernie was a soft spoken giant of a man with a shaven head that even Ali used to say was the hardest puncher he ever faced. It’s speculated that Ali‘s speaking problems developed because of brain damage suffered after fighting Shavers…

Anyway, Rest In Peace, Mr Shavers.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I was in the same camp when it came to Ali. It seemed he got several gifts in what appeared to be losses. Norton broke his jaw and lost!

As a kid, I certainly didn’t see close enough the damage he (Ali) took that would eventually lead to his mental demise.

Loved the era, though. It was the golden age of heavyweights.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was in the same camp when it came to Ali. It seemed he got several gifts in what appeared to be losses. Norton broke his jaw and lost!

As a kid, I certainly didn’t see close enough the damage he (Ali) took that would eventually lead to his mental demise.

Loved the era, though. It was the golden age of heavyweights.
Yeah, I remember that one too. Norton had some good fights too, as did Jimmy Young.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If you guys can find the Shavers - Ron Lyle fight, it will be an entertaining few minutes.

Two of the hardest punchers in boxing in the 1970s went toe-to-toe, non-stop, for a few rounds.

It was amazing.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
If you guys can find the Shavers - Ron Lyle fight, it will be an entertaining few minutes.

Two of the hardest punchers in boxing in the 1970s went toe-to-toe, non-stop, for a few rounds.

It was amazing.

THATS the fight I was trying to remember! Wow! Lotta knockdowns. Some heavy hitters for sure. Thanks.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Growing up at that time I took these guys for granted. The Heavyweights would always be stacked with great fighters. It was not to be. RIP warrior.

fearsomefour

Legend

It was amazing.
Classic stuff....no time for dancing with these two!!