RIP - Bernie Casey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C4bPUtVxbM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ey-pro-bowl-receiver-turned-actor-dies-at-78/

Bernie Casey, Pro Bowl receiver turned actor, dies at 78
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 21, 2017

berniecasey-e1505999735712.jpg

Getty Images

Bernie Casey, one of the NFL’s fastest receivers in the 1960s and an actor and artist who gained fame in the 1970s and 1980s, has died at the age of 78.

Born in the small town of Wyco, West Virginia, Casey became a college football and track star at Bowling Green. In 1959 he was a key player on the 9-0 Bowling Green team that was voted the small college national champion. One of Casey’s college teammates was Jack Harbaugh, who later became a coach and is the father of Jim and John Harbaugh.

Casey was an outstanding all-around athlete who finished sixth in the 110-meter hurdles at the 1960 U.S. Olympic trials, and at 6-foot-4 he was a matchup nightmare for opposing defensive backs. Loving that talent, the 49ers selected Casey with the ninth overall pick in the 1961 NFL draft.

A man who understood that players could control their careers long before the players won the right to free agency, Casey was traded from the 49ers to the Falcons in 1967, but he refused to go to Atlanta. Casey knew he wanted to explore acting, and so he told the Falcons they’d have to trade him again, this time to the Los Angeles Rams. The Falcons, knowing Casey wouldn’t budge, obliged.

In an eight-year NFL career, Casey finished in the Top 10 in receiving four times. His best season came in 1967 with the Rams, when he was chosen to the Pro Bowl and scored the game-winning touchdown in the final minute of a key late-season win over the Packers, helping the Rams earn a playoff berth.

When Casey announced his retirement in 1969 at the age of 29, he said he had other things he wanted to do with his life. He had already written and starred in one-man plays, and he intended to paint and have a book of poetry published as well. In 1977, when a New York Times interviewer asked if he had any thoughts on football, Casey answered, “Actually, I’m working on a volume of love poetry now.”

Casey’s first movie role came in Guns of the Magnificent Seven, a sequel to the classic The Magnificent Seven. He suited up as a football player one more time to appear in Brian’s Song, and he later had roles in the James Bond movie Never Say Never Again, and in 1980s comedies like Revenge of the Nerds and Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure. In Bill & Ted, Casey played a teacher who asked Ted (Keanu Reeves) who Joan of Arc was, eliciting the response, “Noah’s wife?”

In comedic or dramatic roles, as a painter or a poet, as a wide receiver or a hurdler, Bernie Casey was one of a kind.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Odd coincidence, I was streaming Bill & Ted a few nights ago. Just randomly picked it out of the blue.

RIP BC.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
learn something every day....Wonder if....who was that guy???? Dude played the Detective in Terminator??? couple movies? Did he play football too?

Ram65

Legend
Man of many talents. Retiring at age 29 back then wasn't done very often. He knew what he was doing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Bummer. Always liked his characters but never knew he was a Ram. RIP

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C4bPUtVxbM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ey-pro-bowl-receiver-turned-actor-dies-at-78/

Bernie Casey, Pro Bowl receiver turned actor, dies at 78
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 21, 2017

berniecasey-e1505999735712.jpg

Getty Images

Bernie Casey, one of the NFL’s fastest receivers in the 1960s and an actor and artist who gained fame in the 1970s and 1980s, has died at the age of 78.

Born in the small town of Wyco, West Virginia, Casey became a college football and track star at Bowling Green. In 1959 he was a key player on the 9-0 Bowling Green team that was voted the small college national champion. One of Casey’s college teammates was Jack Harbaugh, who later became a coach and is the father of Jim and John Harbaugh.

Casey was an outstanding all-around athlete who finished sixth in the 110-meter hurdles at the 1960 U.S. Olympic trials, and at 6-foot-4 he was a matchup nightmare for opposing defensive backs. Loving that talent, the 49ers selected Casey with the ninth overall pick in the 1961 NFL draft.

A man who understood that players could control their careers long before the players won the right to free agency, Casey was traded from the 49ers to the Falcons in 1967, but he refused to go to Atlanta. Casey knew he wanted to explore acting, and so he told the Falcons they’d have to trade him again, this time to the Los Angeles Rams. The Falcons, knowing Casey wouldn’t budge, obliged.

In an eight-year NFL career, Casey finished in the Top 10 in receiving four times. His best season came in 1967 with the Rams, when he was chosen to the Pro Bowl and scored the game-winning touchdown in the final minute of a key late-season win over the Packers, helping the Rams earn a playoff berth.

When Casey announced his retirement in 1969 at the age of 29, he said he had other things he wanted to do with his life. He had already written and starred in one-man plays, and he intended to paint and have a book of poetry published as well. In 1977, when a New York Times interviewer asked if he had any thoughts on football, Casey answered, “Actually, I’m working on a volume of love poetry now.”

Casey’s first movie role came in Guns of the Magnificent Seven, a sequel to the classic The Magnificent Seven. He suited up as a football player one more time to appear in Brian’s Song, and he later had roles in the James Bond movie Never Say Never Again, and in 1980s comedies like Revenge of the Nerds and Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure. In Bill & Ted, Casey played a teacher who asked Ted (Keanu Reeves) who Joan of Arc was, eliciting the response, “Noah’s wife?”

In comedic or dramatic roles, as a painter or a poet, as a wide receiver or a hurdler, Bernie Casey was one of a kind.

Oh! Man!! Terrible Loss!! ( I just saw this!) Great Actor/ Great Ram!! God Bless him! R.I.P.

Casey1.jpg
Casey2.jpg
Casey3.gif
Casey4.jpg

Sympathies and Best wishes to his family!!

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
I was at the game the day Bernie Casey caught the pass in the final seconds to beat the Packers. Donny Anderson had attempted the punt when Tony Guillory came out of nowhere and blocked it. Cladue Crabb picked up the loose ball and ran it to the Packers' 6-year line. Many fans were walking out of the Coliseum at the time Anderson and the Pack set up to punt on 4th down. When they heard the roar of the crowd, they came rushing back in. On first down, Gabriel gave the ball to our running back Tommy Mason who gained about a yard. On second down: a play fake, Gabe faked it to Mason and found Bernie Mason wide open in the end zone and Rams win the game. Had the Rams lost the game, the Rams would've been shutout of the playoffs; they needed the victory to set up a winner take all against the Baltimore Colts at the Coliseum the a week from Sunday. The Ram-Packer game was held on Dec. 9th, 1967, Saturday afternoon, the penultimate game of the 14-game season. I will always remember as it was my sister's B-day. She turned nine years old that day, did not like football but would invite her girlfriends over to watch our dad watch the Rams. My dad would always go crazy, yelling out things people had never heard before: "Hit the CinderTrack when the Rams kicked off and the cinder track being the Coliseum Track and Field Running Track. And "There's a Jewish Hospital nearby. Send him to the hospital when the opposing team player was injured, barely breathing "and let's play football." And many more. And my uncle who was good friends with Eddie Meador, starting safety for the Rams, gained access to the Ram locker room. It was bedlam. I remember seeing George Allen, HC of the Rams being interviewed by Gil Stratton ("I call 'em as I see 'em") of KNXT TV, the local CBS affiliate. I was a wide-eyed kid in a candy store, looking up at my heroes The following week, also at the Coliseum, we routed the Colts and the Rams had earned their first playoff berth since 1955.,
I'm obviously not a writer and didn't even graduate HS. I worked as a crossing guard for 42 years for the city of Los Angeles and enjoyed every moment of it, having earned a decent pension and health benefits for my entire life.

BTW- My father started going to Rams' game in 1949 and bought two season tickets in 1951 for him and my mom. I came along in 1953 and started going to the games in 1964 (I was a baseball fan first.)

Rest in Peace Bernie Casey. I will always cherish the moment you caught that pass from Gabe on that long-ago Saturday afternoon!