Right side of Rams’ offensive line under a microscope Saturday against Raiders

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Right side of Rams’ offensive line under a microscope Saturday against Raiders

0815_spo_ldn-l-rams-09_24329821_1489551.jpg

Rams tackle Rob Havenstein, left, and guard Jamon Brown listen to offensive line coach Aaron Kromer during a recent practice. (Photo by Kyusung Gong, Orange County Register/SCNG)

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE

OAKLAND – The Rams will push their starters into the second quarter Saturday against the Oakland Raiders. It’s the typical plan of attack the second week of the preseason, with NFL coaches extending clock time for starters as they chart their flight plan toward the regular season.

The primary objective is creating a smooth landing for the regular-season opener, as players prepare both their bodies and minds for the grueling 16-game schedule.

But there are underlying objectives that go along with preparation. Even for starters who will give way in the second quarter to backups looking to solidify jobs or simply survive to see another couple of weeks.

Which brings us to the right side of the Rams’ offensive line.
It’s two players in count – they would be guard Jamon Brown and tackle Rob Havenstein – but in overall impact they seem so much larger in the grand scheme of things.

The left side of the line was essentially locked down with the signing of All-Pro left tackle Andrew Whitworth. His presence meant Rodger Saffold could return to his more natural left guard position full time. And with the addition of veteran center John Sullivan, it meant the Rams offensive line from center to left tackle was set.

The right side was another story, with the Rams first experimenting with moving right tackle Rob Havenstein to right guard and guard Jamon Brown to right tackle.

Those changes happened in OTAs. But they lasted all of one week in training camp, at which point Havenstein returned to tackle and Brown went back to guard.

Havenstein seems to have settled right back in in his new “old” position. He looks natural and comfortable and while not overly dominant, certainly capable and reliable.

Brown, maybe not so much.

He wasn’t particularly sharp against the Dallas Cowboys in Saturday’s preseason opener, and while it was an extraordinarily short stint of action it was noticeable.

.And it sent the Rams into this week in major evaluation mode.

By Thursday, the right side of the offensive line still seemed a work in progress – as in changes could still happen – but Rams coach Sean McVay held hope the unit can solidify itself.

“I think really everybody is a constant work in progress, because we always strive for that improvement,” McVay said. “I think with our line as a whole, just continuing to get those guys to feel comfortable. That continuity that we talk about, that’s so important. But, with the right side of the line, I feel good about Rob Havenstein at right tackle and Jamon Brown at right guard and that’s what we’re going to be right now and that’s what we anticipate moving forward.

“I think those guys getting comfortable at those spots is the most important thing leading into (the regular-season opener) and that’s the lineup that we’ve got right now. I think they’ve done a good job kind of having played tackle and guard and then going back to it, it’s been good for us to evaluate and see that these are probably their most natural spots and that’s important for us as coaches to put these guys in the best situations for them to have success.”

The entire line faces a huge test Saturday night against a fierce Raiders defense.

But Brown, in particular, is under a microscope.

If he handles the challenge, the Rams will breathe a little easier.

If not.

Well …

“It’s big,” McVay said. “I think that experience, especially for younger players at any position, is extremely beneficial and that’s something that we don’t take lightly. We know we’re going to get an opportunity to go against a great front and great defense in the Oakland Raiders. They’ve got some premiere players on that side of the football that will pose a great challenge and it’s going to be a great evaluation tool for us.”

So while your eyes will naturally follow Jared Goff and Sammy Watkins and all the Rams offensive skill position players.

Keep an eye on the right side of the Rams offensive line against the Raiders.

It’s pretty important.

[www.ocregister.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jamon Brown needs to respond tonight and again I'm not looking at only one play as he did seem to do just fine in pass protection, but when he came out of Louisville, he was heralded as a vicious run blocker and to this point I have not seen that. I trust Havenstein and believe the Rams got it right keeping Havenstein at RT, now Brown needs to play well tonight so when I lie tucked snug in my bed I can have visions Super Bowls dancing in my head.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Those 2 starters have already played into the 2nd qrt of a preseason game.

I will be fun to see how things play out tonight. --Getting Tavon Austin back would be nice.

Is Webster & Robey starting ? Was cool to watch Joyner,Davies, & Mo play in buckle or dime sets. They all can rotate to FS at anytime.

Finding depth to me is more key with the offensive line. Yes it would be nice to see Jamon Brown really step up his game tonight though. Then he can put most of the NAY Sayers to rest.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is what Ineill be watching tonight.
The O line and Gurley have to show.

This is where my head is at. The oline is my biggest concern at the moment, particularly if we have a starter miss time. :unsure:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I saw some nice 3rd string linemen the other night....I wouldn't worry unless injuries keep us from picking one up....I wonder where Khalil Mack lines up? Over Whitworth...or Havenstein?

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
This is now the weak point of the offense, wr and te depth has been taken care of . Right side of the line needs to show improvement tonight and maybe Gurley can break a run over 10 yards. I want to see the starting offense play at least the first quarter

RamsVA

UDFA
Name
RamsVA
Switching Hav and Brown back to their normal positions makes the most sense. Now they just have to prove they can be trusted like the left side of the line. If I'm Snead, I'm monitoring cut down casualties from top rated Olines with similar schemes. This is another reason why Donald's contract shenanigans are troublesome --- there are still too many holes (reliable and proven starters and back-ups) to fill on the Rams. Donald will get paid in time because he deserves it but there are just too many challenges to put himself over the team when he signed a contract that made him a millionaire rookie. It might be different if the Rams were sitting on $50M in cap room.
Todd Gurley also has to show he can get through a hole again.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm hoping to see more Darrell Williams at LT, Wichmann at LG, Eldrencamp at Center, Blythe at RG & Pace at RT once the 1'st team wraps things up. These reserves will be called upon eventually, they need to be up to the task. jmo.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I agree the right side just straight-up needs to spring Gurley a couple times tonight. We all need to see that.

fearsomefour

Legend
I saw some nice 3rd string linemen the other night....I wouldn't worry unless injuries keep us from picking one up....I wonder where Khalil Mack lines up? Over Whitworth...or Havenstein?
If it were a regular game I'm sure Mack would move around. Attacking the weak point makes sense. Mack over Hav and mixing in stunts to that side. Being game 2 of preseason they may be more concerned with getting guys lined up right and execution in standard things.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If it were a regular game I'm sure Mack would move around. Attacking the weak point makes sense. Mack over Hav and mixing in stunts to that side. Being game 2 of preseason they may be more concerned with getting guys lined up right and execution in standard things.
I am sure that when Mack see's a TE like HIgbee or Everett lined up as the last line of defense to that right side to block him he will be :D.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Ken Norton is still there so I wouldn't be surprised at something moronic from their defense scheme/blitz wise.

As usual I'm the oddball, I'm not sold on Whitworth just on rep and hope to see him up against some good young talent today, then I can sign off on him too.

WestCoastRam

Legend
A lot of the runs were outside zone (maybe all of them...) when the 1st unit were in. I'd like to see Brown do some man-blocking tonight and also see how he does. I suspect he's better at that than zone.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm hoping to see more Darrell Williams at LT, Wichmann at LG, Eldrencamp at Center, Blythe at RG & Pace at RT once the 1'st team wraps things up. These reserves will be called upon eventually, they need to be up to the task. jmo.

Sean Mannion thinks that's a cruel joke.

TexasRam

Legend
Is like to see Justin Davis get some touches behind the first unit Oline.

Imagine if he broke off some 20 yard runs and held onto the ball.

I don't care who you are or where you were drafted. Those who ball are getting more ball.

fearsomefour

Legend
I am sure that when Mack see's a TE like HIgbee or Everett lined up as the last line of defense to that right side to block him he will be :D.
Yeah.
Didn't notice Everett blockingast week.
Higbee hasn't been good overall.
They are both athletic enough.