RGKnee Saga in DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Looks like the wheels are falling off in DC. Can you say "Top 5 Pick"?!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000285614/article/teammate-rgiiis-comments-were-coldblooded

Robert Griffin III's leadership has come under focus this week after some postgame comments that drew a sharp response from teammate Santana Moss.

Moss eventually backed off the comments, but NFL Media columnist Michael Silver reported Thursday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access Kickoff" that the issue has been bubbling under the surface for some time.

"Robert Griffin III's propensity for saying things that maybe the coaches and others in the organization wish he would not say publicly has been a source of frustration for quite some time," Silver said.

One player described Griffin's postgame remarks to Silver as "cold-blooded."

Griffin mentioned to the press that it was "disheartening" when the Philadelphia Eagles' defense knew what plays were coming during Sunday's loss. That sounded like a shot against the coaching staff. Speaking about his interception to end the game, Griffin mentioned that no one was open on the play.

This is becoming a bigger story in the media because it's Griffin, and because the Redskins are losing. That doesn't mean it's not a story. There has been tension between Griffin and the Redskins' coaching staff since his injury last January. Now we are hearing grumbling from more than one teammate.

These are the growing pains that typically happen with young quarterbacks. It's understandable considering Griffin's torn ACL and lost offseason. We just wonder if the Shanahans will be around to shepherd Griffin through his inevitable improvement next year.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think Griffins "progress" is very "evitable" ,his athleticism has been shown to have a shelf life in the NFL and he will always want to rely upon it even once it's gone.

nighttrain

Legend
I think Griffins "progress" is very "evitable" ,his athleticism has been shown to have a shelf life in the NFL and he will always want to rely upon it even once it's gone.
same same, Trade getting better and better or Rams
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
2013 draft Skins draft positions is currently @ Number 6 (SIX) and looks like this draft pick could move into the top Five area and rising!!!!:sly: Snead could be drooling on doing another 2012 trade of a top first round pick! Hey Browns want a QB ???? You Browns have two first round picks this draft :nau: want to deal?

Wonderboy

Rookie
What could the Rams reasonably expect to get in a trade if they obtained another top 5 pick? I would love to get a 1 & 3 this year and another 1 next year. Keep the trend of multiple 1's going!

V3

Hall of Fame
2015 and he won't even be the starter.

I still think he'll be fine in the long run. He just needs to mature a bit and get his mechanics back. He could also work on his progressions.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I still think he'll be fine in the long run. He just needs to mature a bit and get his mechanics back. He could also work on his progressions.
Don't get me wrong man I don't really want the guy to fail past this year,unless the skins trade back with us so they can keep this years pick ( highly doubtful they would).
I had been of a mind once upon a time ,that drafting him and trading Sam was not a clear cut mistake and had merit.
His injury is one he needs to take as a warning and so do his coaches , the element of his game that people fell most in love with is the very thing regrettably that threatens his longevity and in this league without longevity you can't become a true elite QB,there is JUST TOO MUCH to know and learn.
I agree his lack of maturity is on display,he needs to regain his composure ,cuz if he gets his coach fired, the next one will always be in the same position Linehan was,the "anti Martz" only the new guy will have to be the "anti Shanahan" and cast in a roll which is failure waiting to happen.
Kid has ALL it takes, but he needs to STFU and play,gain some humility and say the right things even if he doesn't mean them.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here's another article: :heh:

Feeling warm in DC right now Shannahan? :sly:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10010882/nfl-solving-washington-redskins-issues

nfl_g_rg3b_mb_576x324.jpg

It's been an adventure for the Washington Redskins since the team traded three first-round picks and a second-rounder for the opportunity to build around quarterback Robert Griffin III.

After leading the Redskins to the playoffs during a record-setting rookie season in 2012, Griffin has mostly struggled this season in his return from knee surgery. The Redskins have a 3-7 record, a roster with too many holes and a quarterback whose approach has come under fire.

ESPN NFL Insider Louis Riddick, a former NFL safety who served as pro personnel director for the Redskins and Philadelphia Eagles, joins Mike Sando to address key questions relating to the future of Griffin and the Redskins.

How deep do the Redskins' problems run?

Riddick: When you give up what they had to give up to get RG III, the last thing you want to wind up realizing is that you have to run a very specifically designed offense in order to get the most out of him -- which means it has to be almost perfect in terms of the run-pass balance in order for this guy to excel. And on top of that, if he ever does have to become a drop-back pocket passer because that is what the game dictates -- whether the Redskins are behind or in a shootout, and thus need a more pass-focused offense -- you don't want to feel you're going to be limited in what you can do offensively because his game has not progressed sufficiently to do that.

Sando: This team won its final seven regular-season games last season to finish 10-6 and win the NFC East. But if we look back, Griffin was producing at a high level even before the team hit its stride. Last season, from Weeks 6 through Week 11, he had eight touchdown passes, two interceptions, a 100.9 passer rating and a 79.8 Total QBR score. He has four additional interceptions, an 82.0 rating and 55.9 QBR score over the same span this year. That is not so good, but should it be alarming? Young players tend to be inconsistent and Griffin is coming off the injury. Are we talking about fundamental flaws?

Riddick: For me, there are a whole bunch of things that are adding up to where I'm saying, "Man, this is not a guy, to this point, who can put a team on his back." He is not an Andrew Luck-type of quarterback in the traditional sense that you can load him up with as much volume in terms of the passing game and expect him to execute it from the pocket in a way you would traditionally expect from a franchise quarterback. No one has seen that from him yet. He was drafted one spot after Luck -- one spot -- and the Skins gave up the farm to get him. There sure seem to be a lot of limitations on what Griffin can do.

Sando: Griffin had outstanding stats from inside the pocket last season. ESPN charting ranked him third in passer rating and fifth in QBR from inside the pocket. He completed 68.6 percent of his passes from there and had an 18-to-4 touchdown-to-interception ratio. But since Griffin needed a dominant running game to succeed on those throws, he wasn't a successful pocket passer in the traditional sense. And when you look at that offensive line, it's not built to facilitate a traditional passing game, either. Left tackle Trent Williams can play that way, but the rest of the line just isn't suited to hold up. And if Griffin cannot overcome that, what are the Redskins to do? The draft capital they gave up to get RG III has made it tougher for them to build along the line and elsewhere.

Would a QB trade make sense?

Sando: No one can say the Redskins haven't invested in the quarterback position. They gave up their short-term future for Griffin and also used a 2012 fourth-round pick on Kirk Cousins. Some of the needs throughout their roster outweigh the value of a backup quarterback, in my opinion. Why not trade Cousins? Or, if you're really down on Griffin, would you even consider Cousins as the starter? No one is probably going to talk about trading RG III, but I suppose that depends upon just how much you're down on him.

Riddick: They gave up too much to get Griffin, so they can't unload him. In his defense, he is still young and he did miss the entire offseason. There is time. But the expectations were so high given what they gave up, how high he was drafted, and all the attention he brought on himself with the press conferences and documentaries he was doing in the offseason (not to mention coach Mike Shanahan stating that they were a potential Super Bowl-caliber team). He set the bar very high and right now is falling way short of it.

Sando: A quarterback I spoke with early in the season caught me off guard at the time when he suggested Cousins' presence could tempt the Redskins to play him if Griffin struggled. This quarterback and other players I've spoken with did not like the way RG III was out front holding press conferences every day following his return from knee surgery. They thought it would invite exactly the type of scrutiny Griffin is facing now. They questioned his approach to the position.

Riddick: I don't think they'll move on from Griffin, although I will say that from what I know, Cousins is well-respected for his professionalism and humility, for his willingness to work behind the scenes and be a grinder who loves the game for the game itself, and for not drawing attention to himself. Cousins has had a few good performances, and his character is so high that you never know how desperate a team is for a quarterback and what they might do when under the gun to try to produce a prospect at the position.

Other issues for the Redskins

Sando: We've discussed Griffin and the offensive line, but there are other issues facing this team. The Redskins' defense hasn't exactly dominated. Washington ranks 30th in points per game allowed, 28th in expected points added, 29th in points allowed per drive, and 28th in three-and-out percentage. There are needs for this team to address and scarce resources.

Riddick: The Redskins are going to need a lot of help. To start, what should they do with Brian Orakpo from a contract perspective? He is a hard-playing, high-motor tough guy, but he's not an elite pass-rusher. At linebacker, I love London Fletcher, but for the first time I can say Father Time has caught up with him, as he increasingly is being isolated, targeted and exposed. And in the secondary, it's just a mess. They need draft picks and cap space. They need a lot of help.

Sando: The Redskins went into Week 11 with the NFL's fourth-oldest roster. Coach Mike Shanahan has a 24-34 record with the Skins (including this year). He mismanaged RG III's injury situation on a national stage and with disastrous results. Now, he and his offensive coordinator (and son), Kyle, seem unable to develop Griffin as quickly as hoped. A coaching change seems likely to me unless Washington finishes strong. The Redskins have four of their remaining six games at home, but that includes difficult matchups against San Francisco and Kansas City. I'm not seeing a run similar to last year's playoff push.

Riddick: Some people are defending Mike Shanahan. I do not know him. I've heard him say that he likes the improvements in terms of the franchise and where it is headed, and the Redskins like to point to the salary-cap penalties they incurred as having hurt their depth. Well, their record is what it is. And the cap didn't prevent them from doing things in the draft and getting more production and surplus value out of the picks they did have. Plus, there are other ways to build depth beyond using cap space. I've been through that in Washington and Philadelphia; you take free agents because you missed in the draft and it's a recipe for disaster.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Richie Incognito is so glad someone has taken the spotlight off him.

I think now is the time to change the name to the Washington Thin Skins

jap

Legend
It's always a pleasure doing business with Dan Snyder! :heh:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'd never thought I say this, but maybe RGME should look at Cam Newton and see how he's carrying himself to the media and the team.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Redskins coaching staff screwed themselves when they rolled the dice on playing him with his knee already in bad shape. Griffin was is not the same QB he was last year because of it. What makes NO sense is they hot a hot handed QB in Kurt Coussins who was very capable of carrying the load for RG3. I wonder if he still could. Mike Shannahan is a fool... period.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Redskins coaching staff screwed themselves when they rolled the dice on playing him with his knee already in bad shape. Griffin was is not the same QB he was last year because of it. What makes NO sense is they hot a hot handed QB in Kurt Coussins who was very capable of carrying the load for RG3. I wonder if he still could. Mike Shannahan is a fool... period.

From one who knows STL, they love you win or win in the coach biz so I don't second guess.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
From one who knows STL, they love you win or win in the coach biz so I don't second guess.
True, but the signs were there. They screwed up and that's what happens when you gamble and lose. Win big lose bad, they lost bad. It was reckless so I don't excuse them. Sounds like RG3 is holding a grudge, too. don't blame him.