RGKnee cleared, but concerns linger

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This story is kind of tucked away on USAToday. RG3 still has something going on with that knee.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2013/08/30/robert-griffin-iii-cleared-washington-redskins/2736645/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... s/2736645/</a>

It's official. Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III has been medically cleared to play in the season opener Aug. 9. But that doesn't mean he'll get the green light to start against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Dr. James Andrews, the renowned orthopedic surgeon who operated on Griffin's knee, told Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan that [hilite]he has some reservations about Griffin playing[/hilite]. He examined Griffin's knee Thursday night in Tampa just prior to the preseason finale against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

[hilite]"I did talk to Dr. Andrews and after talking to him, he's going to approve Robert to play," Shanahan told reporters Thursday night. "There's a couple concerns that he has. I'll talk to Robert over the weekend and let you guys know on Monday."[/hilite]

Shanahan would not disclose what those concerns were, but when asked if Griffin would get the start against the Eagles, he responded, "I think so," reiterating that he needed to discuss the situation with his star quarterback before making a final decision.

Griffin didn't say much as he walked out from the visiting locker room, except for, "I'm clear." Dressed in a flannel button-down shirt and jeans, he appeared visibly tired of being asked the same questions for the past eight months.

After a 30-minute pregame workout, Griffin met with Andrews, then sent a celebratory tweet, as if to signal his Monday night start in Week 1:

"Operation Patience ... Complete. Cleared. To God Be The Glory."

And then Shanahan held his "not so fast, Robert" postgame press conference, which might explain Griffin's downtrodden demeanor.

The last time Andrews examined Griffin's knee was prior to the preseason home opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Aug. 9. Two weeks ago, he gave Griffin clearance to begin full participation with the first-team offense.

Then on Tuesday, Shanahan indicated to reporters that he fully expected Griffin to get clearance from Andrews. [hilite]Thursday's examination was considered a formality.[/hilite]Griffin's teammates said they didn't need a formal announcement. They believe he'll play.

"We've seen him practice every day, so I always thought he'd been cleared. I didn't know he was still waiting," offensive tackle Trent Williams said. "His voice is always heard. It never felt like he went anywhere. … He's the heart and soul of our offense. With him, we can do some big things."

Williams marveled at his quarterback's diligence throughout his rehab and his ability to handle the spotlight that has followed him and his surgically-repaired knee everywhere.

"I don't know if there is a behind-the-scenes with Robert. There's always a camera on him," Williams said. "The countless hours of rehab, up early, leaving late, just rehabbing his knee, doing the same thing every day – that's tiresome. For him to stay with it as long as he has to get back, it says a lot about his character."

Running back Alfred Morris agreed.

"It speaks volumes about the type of person he is," Morris added. "Just the sheer will and determination to get back. I'm not surprised. That's just the type of person Robert is."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This whole organization is one hot mess. I hope this blows up in Shanahan's face.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000236765/article/no-concerns-about-rgiiis-knee-dr-andrews-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... drews-says</a>

While saying Robert Griffin III had been cleared to play in the Washington Redskins' season opener, coach Mike Shanahan mentioned Thursday that Dr. James Andrews had a "couple concerns" regarding the quarterback's recovery from knee surgery.

Sources within the organization told The Washington Post that none of the "concerns" were significant to keep RGIII from playing and they suspected the doctor wanted to make sure the team used Griffin wisely without subjecting him to unnecessary risks.

On Friday, Andrews denied expressing any trepidation.

"None of it is true," Andrews wrote in a text to The Post. "No concerns."

[hilite]Shanahan's comments are looking more and more like another screwball from a coach who's well known for trying to keep opponents guessing.[/hilite]

Last season, Shanahan kept RGIII under wraps in the preseason before unleashing him on opponents. It's completely within character for the coach to try to keep the Philadelphia Eagles guessing about Griffin's readiness, even if no one else is buying it. Apparently Andrews has no desire to play the coach's game.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23397885/report-doctor-concerned-with-how-redskins-plan-to-use-robert-griffin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... rt-griffin</a>

Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III tweeted on Thursday that he's been cleared to play in Week 1, but that doesn't mean there's not still some concern about his knee.

Dr. James Andrews -- who performed RG3's knee surgery -- is concerned about how Washington plans to use RG3 offensively and about potential punishment Griffin's knee will take during games, according to ESPN.com.

Coach Mike Shanahan mentioned on Thursday that Andrews had several concerns, but at the time, Shanahan didn't say what specifically Andrews was concerned with.

"I did talk to Dr. Andrews and after talking to him he is going to approve Robert to play," Shanahan said. "There's a couple concerns that he has. I'll talk to Robert over the weekend and I'll let you guys know on Monday."

The concerns Andrews has are interesting ones, especially since he cleared Griffin to play. Griffin is going to play a major, major role in the Redskins offense and it's not going to help Shanahan's ability to coach if Shanahan knows that RG3's doctor is concerned about RG3's role in the Washington offense.

[hilite]Andrews also mentioned that he doesn't want to see the Redskins expose RG3's knee to punishment during games. This is a weird concern because unless Washington leaves Griffin on the bench, the team really has no control over what kind of punishment his knee takes.[/hilite]

When Griffin's on the field, it's going to be up to him to make sure he avoids taking punishing hits to his knee.

Anyway, now we just all have another reason to watch the Redskins regular season opener on Sept. 9 against Philadelphia.

UPDATE 2:39 p.m. ET: Andrews is now disputing what ESPN is reporting. In a text to the Washington Times, Andrews said he has 'no concerns,' which makes the situation even more interesting considering Shanahan said on Thursday that Andrews did have concerns.

nighttrain

Legend
The way RG plays the game, if I was his Dr. i'd have concerns also, and if not 100% Skins are crazy to play him. But this drama will play out with no input from St Louis, other than Snead wondering how many picks he can trade Washington's #1 into next draft
train

bluecoconuts

Legend
To me it seems that the team essentially went to the doctor and said to clear him. Of course the Doctor will never admit that, but that's what I get the feeling happened.

Maybe not though... Either way, I don't think RG3 plays 16 games.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Think about it this way, they are going into a game against a division opponent, why in the hell would their coach say anything besides the knee is 100%?

You don't think a big D-lineman from a division opponent isnt going to try to do something to see if they can take him out of the game?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
HE WITH HORNS said:
Think about it this way, they are going into a game against a division opponent, why in the hell would their coach say anything besides the knee is 100%?

You don't think a big D-lineman from a division opponent isnt going to try to do something to see if they can take him out of the game?

If this is Shanahan playing games; I agree with you. It's dumb to suggest he's not 100% to throw off the opposition.

Everyone knows he's gonna start. To suggest he's going to be gimpy is an invitation to rag-doll the guy.

tonyl711

Starter
I cant see RG3 making it through more than 8 games this year, Opp will be going after him a lot more than they did last season IMO, not only because they will feel they can take him out of the game but they have game tape on him now, defenses will be devised to take away the running part of his game.

lockdnram21

Legend
bluecoconuts said:
To me it seems that the team essentially went to the doctor and said to clear him. Of course the Doctor will never admit that, but that's what I get the feeling happened.

Maybe not though... Either way, I don't think RG3 plays 16 games.

Hes going to play all 16 and be a beast

lockdnram21

Legend
nighttrain said:
The way RG plays the game, if I was his Dr. i'd have concerns also, and if not 100% Skins are crazy to play him. But this drama will play out with no input from St Louis, other than Snead wondering how many picks he can trade Washington's #1 into next draft
train

I doubt we trade the pick. We will be in position to take best players hopefully ball hawk fs and ol