RGIII was sacked at a historic rate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/02/rg3-took-sacks-last-season-at-a-historic-rate/

RG3 took sacks last season at a historic rate
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 2, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwvjodeynmnhmjkzmtg0owfhzjy0ywninwnlnmnknze1-e1410137619418.jpeg
AP

Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III took sacks during the 2014 season like no other quarterback in the 21st Century.

Griffin was sacked 33 times last year while throwing only 214 passes. How rare is that? Not since Hugh Millen of the 1992 Patriots has a quarterback been sacked so many times while throwing so few passes.

The NFL started counting quarterbacks’ times sacked as an official statistic in 1963, and in the 52 seasons since then, only six quarterbacks have been sacked as many as 33 times while throwing as few as 214 passes: Griffin, Millen, Randall Cunningham in his first season, Mike Rae of the horrendous expansion Buccaneers, Bobby Douglass of the 1969 Bears, and Archie Manning — who did it twice while playing behind the awful New Orleans Saints line of the 1970s.

It would be tempting to blame the offensive line any time a quarterback gets sacked that often, but in Griffin’s case it would be incorrect. Washington’s other two quarterbacks,Colt McCoy and Kirk Cousins, weren’t sacked as often as Griffin. McCoy was sacked 17 times while throwing 128 passes, and Cousins was sacked eight times while throwing 208 passes.

No, the problem with Griffin is that he isn’t good enough at getting rid of the ball when he’s under pressure. Griffin has been sacked at least 30 times in all three of his NFL seasons despite never throwing more than 456 passes in a year. (For comparison with a passer who’s good at getting rid of the ball, Peyton Manning has never been sacked 30 times in any of his 16 seasons despite always throwing at least 453 passes.)

As a rookie, the 30 sacks Griffin took just seemed like part of the cost of doing business for a quarterback who was so good at making plays with his legs that he ran for 815 yards. But this year, when Griffin took 33 sacks despite rushing for only 176 yards, it seems like he’s still trying to rely on his legs to get him out of trouble — but his legs aren’t getting the job done anymore. RG3’s sack rate is another reason to think that building him into a franchise quarterback is going to be a difficult, and maybe even impossible, job.
----------
Keep making excuses. Tannehill was sacked 58 times but it’s his fault
---------
As a point of comparison, McCoy would have been sacked 29 times if he threw the same amount of passes. Yes, Griffin holds onto the ball way too long, at times. But let’s not pretend he’s playing behind the 1991 Hogs here.
----------
If Griffin was sacked 33 times in 214 attempts and McCoy was on pace to be sacked 34 in 256 attempts, you can’t say it was on Robert and McCoy didn’t have that trouble. Yes, RG holds on to the ball, no argument there. But you’re wrong with its not the Offensive Line because Colt was on pace for the same.
----------
I seem to remember McCoy getting sacked 6 times the last game he started… Yeah maybe RG3 held it a little long but watching the PATs play, Brady has all day to throw the ball. You can’t expect a QB learning a new system to be able to pick up everything that quickly and get the ball out that fast while being rushed on every play.
---------
While there is a lot wrong with Griffin and he absolutely holds on to the ball too long, this article seems to hint that he is responsible for all of those sacks. If you double McCoy’s pass attempts to 256 that would put him on pace for 34 sacks. Slightly better than Griffin’s ratio, but still pretty bad. Cousins got the ball out quicker than either of those two, but that is also what led to most of his interceptions. Swap picks for sacks and Cousins is looking pretty bad, too. The last paragraph is the only bit I can’t argue with here.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
But I thought the offensive line allowing sacks didn't matter if you had a mobile QB! Why didn't he elevate them?!

Athos

Legend
Those comments were actually intellegent. WAS OL sux.

Yes, but I honestly don't think the WAS OL LIKES RG-Me.

In fact, I don't think they like him at all. Ever seen them actually help pick him up? I've hardly ever seen it.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Yes, but I honestly don't think the WAS OL LIKES RG-Me.

In fact, I don't think they like him at all. Ever seen them actually help pick him up? I've hardly ever seen it.

Yeah, that's just so rare for an OL not to care like that. I certainly cannot disagree.