RG3-less Rams have the pieces

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Jeffri Chadiha | ESPN.com
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/83774 ... riffin-iii

Bradford, added draft picks give St. Louis solid foundation for future

Sunday will not be an easy day for St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford.

Even though he'll be on his home turf inside the Edward Jones Dome, he'll be on the wrong side of what will be endless, eventual comparisons. The Washington Redskins are coming to town with red-hot rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III leading the way. That's the same Robert Griffin III who went second overall in this year's draft, right after the Rams received four picks from Washington for a selection they originally owned.

[hil]Bradford's problem is the same short-term memory that affects too many NFL fans[/hil] (and plenty of media members). As quickly as RG3 became the latest, greatest young quarterback to hit the league, Bradford seemingly drifted into mediocrity, as if somebody latched a cinder block to his upside and tossed it into the Mississippi River. There even have been recent reports about St. Louis fans lamenting the team's decision not to draft Griffin. [hil]It's as if everybody suddenly forgot that Bradford won the league's Offensive Rookie of the Year award in 2010.[/hil]

That's sad, too. There is nothing wrong with Bradford or the deal the Rams scored in return for the pick that sent Griffin to Washington. The bigger issue surrounding St. Louis is what the team is doing to put Bradford back on the same promising track he traveled in his first season. If the Rams can keep him healthy (he missed six games with a high-ankle sprain in 2011) and increase his productivity (he threw six touchdown passes after tossing 18 as a rookie), there won't be many reasons for anybody to complain about his presence in that city.

[hil]Bradford's career has been compromised by the same shortsightedness and stupidity that tends to ruin too many young quarterbacks. For example, the Rams had success with him in the West Coast offense during his rookie year. They then decided to move to a supposedly more high-powered system when offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels arrived in 2011. It would've been a sensible plan if the NFL hadn't held a five-month lockout that ruined everybody's offseason workout plans. It might even have worked if the Rams had even one receiver who could frighten a defense.[/hil]

[wrapimg=right]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0814/nfl_u_sambradford_cmg_300.jpg[/wrapimg][hil]Bradford didn't fall apart last season because he forgot how to be productive. He struggled because the Rams never grew around him.[/hil] The offensive line was so disastrous that the team released two high-profile acquisitions from 2009 -- center Jason Brown and offensive tackle Jason Smith, the second pick in that year's draft. McDaniels vanished as well, right after the team fired head coach Steve Spagnuolo and before it dumped general manager Billy Devaney.

People can complain about Bradford all they want, but he is in better hands now. New general manager Les Snead is one of the brightest personnel evaluators in the business and Jeff Fisher is one of the league's most respected head coaches. Even the predictable concerns about new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who didn't exactly work wonders with Mark Sanchez with the New York Jets, aren't enough to fear for Bradford's future. There have been enough people around the Jets who questioned whether Sanchez's lack of maturity hurt his own development.

The reality is the Rams did get the better end of the deal with Washington, especially when considering their needs. As gifted as RG3 is, one player wasn't going to turn around this team immediately. St. Louis has a better chance with the first-round pick it received from Washington this year (which eventually became defensive tackle Michael Brockers), the second-round pick (cornerback Janoris Jenkins, who had first-round talent) and the first-round selections that will come in 2013 and 2014. Give Fisher and Snead enough time with all those options and the Rams will improve faster than people realize.

It's easy to question Bradford because that's how we operate in today's world -- success has to happen at warp speed and failure can be tolerated only for nanoseconds. The first-year performances by Carolina's Cam Newton and Cincinnati's Andy Dalton last season certainly raised the bar for those who came after them. But they also made critics look in their rearview mirrors, just to see which young quarterbacks were struggling through their own growing pains. Bradford was the easiest target to blast, followed immediately by Sanchez.

As long as the Rams improve their supporting cast, Bradford will point his career back in the right direction. [hil]He has too much talent, poise and intelligence to let one rough season destroy his confidence. The Rams also have to avoid the same problem that ruins too many young quarterbacks. Bradford already is in his third offense in three seasons.[/hil] That's the same kind of pace that helped turn Alex Smith into a running joke in San Francisco and Jason Campbell into a journeyman who now backs up Jay Cutler in Chicago.

[hil]Bradford has more talent than either of those two players, so his game won't implode.[/hil] He also should be encouraged by playing for Fisher, who always has believed in winning with a strong running game and a vicious defense. Fisher has gotten the best out of most of his quarterbacks by sticking with that formula. The sooner the Rams can create that approach in St. Louis, the sooner their quarterback will start looking better.

Unfortunately for Bradford, there probably won't be much fun to be had Sunday, especially if Griffin plays as he did in a season-opening win over New Orleans. The Edwards Jones Dome isn't nearly as imposing as the Saints' Superdome and New Orleans has far more talent on its roster than the Rams. That's also where the comparisons in this contest should stop.

Yes, RG3 is the hottest new face in football right now. Just remember there's a reason why Bradford also held that title not too long ago.

Iron Lion

Starter
One thing that's interesting is that lots of teams were encouraged to take QBs high in the 2011 draft. The lockout scared teams into taking a QB because of the doubts around free agency, and the fact that it was clear the new CBA would greatly reduce the financial impact of missing on a high QB pick was also a great motivator.

So the reality is we have this Barkley fella coming out soon, and we have to ask: which teams are actually liable to draft him? It seems like most teams with QB problems are actually too early in the process to abandon it. Teams like TB, JAX, CLE, MIA, NYJ have QBs that look like they are going to not make it in this league but probably won't get ousted this soon (and yes I know what Sanchez did on Sunday -- he hit wideopen receivers against a bad defense).

The obvious candidate is Arizona, but I've gone on record saying they will win the division, I stand by that and I don't see them picking high enough to get Barkley.

But I think the best candidate might be the Bills, they look awful. Let's face it, in 2010 they were extremely bad, they started 2011 good but then regressed back to where they were, and they seem to still be there. I can see them blowing it all up, eating the Fitzpatrick contract and rebuilding.

Like every draft it will be interesting.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Iron Lion said:
One thing that's interesting is that lots of teams were encouraged to take QBs high in the 2011 draft. The lockout scared teams into taking a QB because of the doubts around free agency, and the fact that it was clear the new CBA would greatly reduce the financial impact of missing on a high QB pick was also a great motivator.

So the reality is we have this Barkley fella coming out soon, and we have to ask: which teams are actually liable to draft him? It seems like most teams with QB problems are actually too early in the process to abandon it. Teams like TB, JAX, CLE, MIA, NYJ have QBs that look like they are going to not make it in this league but probably won't get ousted this soon (and yes I know what Sanchez did on Sunday -- he hit wideopen receivers against a bad defense).

The obvious candidate is Arizona, but I've gone on record saying they will win the division, I stand by that and I don't see them picking high enough to get Barkley.

But I think the best candidate might be the Bills, they look awful. Let's face it, in 2010 they were extremely bad, they started 2011 good but then regressed back to where they were, and they seem to still be there. I can see them blowing it all up, eating the Fitzpatrick contract and rebuilding.

I keep hearing that Barkley is the 'consensus #1' but a lot of people don't think he's that good. I hear his arm leaves a lot to be desired, and that he's not a very great physical specimen. Personally, I wouldn't draft him simply because he's a USC player, but that's just me.

Iron Lion

Starter
Well I can't give an opinion on that one way or another, I don't watch college. I watch probably around 1 game every 4-5 years... and coincidentally the last one I watched was RGIII's bowl game. I only stayed on the channel because I saw it was RGIII in the game, and Chris Spielman (Lions linebacker legend) was color commentary. And even then only got the 2nd half in.

Dochal

UDFA
X said:
By Jeffri Chadiha | ESPN.com
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/83774 ... riffin-iii

Bradford, added draft picks give St. Louis solid foundation for future

Sunday will not be an easy day for St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford.

Even though he'll be on his home turf inside the Edward Jones Dome, he'll be on the wrong side of what will be endless, eventual comparisons. The Washington Redskins are coming to town with red-hot rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III leading the way. That's the same Robert Griffin III who went second overall in this year's draft, right after the Rams received four picks from Washington for a selection they originally owned.

[hil]Bradford's problem is the same short-term memory that affects too many NFL fans[/hil] (and plenty of media members). As quickly as RG3 became the latest, greatest young quarterback to hit the league, Bradford seemingly drifted into mediocrity, as if somebody latched a cinder block to his upside and tossed it into the Mississippi River. There even have been recent reports about St. Louis fans lamenting the team's decision not to draft Griffin. [hil]It's as if everybody suddenly forgot that Bradford won the league's Offensive Rookie of the Year award in 2010.[/hil]

That's sad, too. There is nothing wrong with Bradford or the deal the Rams scored in return for the pick that sent Griffin to Washington. The bigger issue surrounding St. Louis is what the team is doing to put Bradford back on the same promising track he traveled in his first season. If the Rams can keep him healthy (he missed six games with a high-ankle sprain in 2011) and increase his productivity (he threw six touchdown passes after tossing 18 as a rookie), there won't be many reasons for anybody to complain about his presence in that city.

[hil]Bradford's career has been compromised by the same shortsightedness and stupidity that tends to ruin too many young quarterbacks. For example, the Rams had success with him in the West Coast offense during his rookie year. They then decided to move to a supposedly more high-powered system when offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels arrived in 2011. It would've been a sensible plan if the NFL hadn't held a five-month lockout that ruined everybody's offseason workout plans. It might even have worked if the Rams had even one receiver who could frighten a defense.[/hil]

[wrapimg=right]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0814/nfl_u_sambradford_cmg_300.jpg[/wrapimg][hil]Bradford didn't fall apart last season because he forgot how to be productive. He struggled because the Rams never grew around him.[/hil] The offensive line was so disastrous that the team released two high-profile acquisitions from 2009 -- center Jason Brown and offensive tackle Jason Smith, the second pick in that year's draft. McDaniels vanished as well, right after the team fired head coach Steve Spagnuolo and before it dumped general manager Billy Devaney.

People can complain about Bradford all they want, but he is in better hands now. New general manager Les Snead is one of the brightest personnel evaluators in the business and Jeff Fisher is one of the league's most respected head coaches. Even the predictable concerns about new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who didn't exactly work wonders with Mark Sanchez with the New York Jets, aren't enough to fear for Bradford's future. There have been enough people around the Jets who questioned whether Sanchez's lack of maturity hurt his own development.

The reality is the Rams did get the better end of the deal with Washington, especially when considering their needs. As gifted as RG3 is, one player wasn't going to turn around this team immediately. St. Louis has a better chance with the first-round pick it received from Washington this year (which eventually became defensive tackle Michael Brockers), the second-round pick (cornerback Janoris Jenkins, who had first-round talent) and the first-round selections that will come in 2013 and 2014. Give Fisher and Snead enough time with all those options and the Rams will improve faster than people realize.

It's easy to question Bradford because that's how we operate in today's world -- success has to happen at warp speed and failure can be tolerated only for nanoseconds. The first-year performances by Carolina's Cam Newton and Cincinnati's Andy Dalton last season certainly raised the bar for those who came after them. But they also made critics look in their rearview mirrors, just to see which young quarterbacks were struggling through their own growing pains. Bradford was the easiest target to blast, followed immediately by Sanchez.

As long as the Rams improve their supporting cast, Bradford will point his career back in the right direction. [hil]He has too much talent, poise and intelligence to let one rough season destroy his confidence. The Rams also have to avoid the same problem that ruins too many young quarterbacks. Bradford already is in his third offense in three seasons.[/hil] That's the same kind of pace that helped turn Alex Smith into a running joke in San Francisco and Jason Campbell into a journeyman who now backs up Jay Cutler in Chicago.

[hil]Bradford has more talent than either of those two players, so his game won't implode.[/hil] He also should be encouraged by playing for Fisher, who always has believed in winning with a strong running game and a vicious defense. Fisher has gotten the best out of most of his quarterbacks by sticking with that formula. The sooner the Rams can create that approach in St. Louis, the sooner their quarterback will start looking better.

Unfortunately for Bradford, there probably won't be much fun to be had Sunday, especially if Griffin plays as he did in a season-opening win over New Orleans. The Edwards Jones Dome isn't nearly as imposing as the Saints' Superdome and New Orleans has far more talent on its roster than the Rams. That's also where the comparisons in this contest should stop.

Yes, RG3 is the hottest new face in football right now. Just remember there's a reason why Bradford also held that title not too long ago.

Interesting read, X, but you'll never sell any of it to the haters. Especially if the Rams lose to Washington, which I expect they won't because the game is at home. But on the CHANCE I am wrong, the hating will be brutal, even if Sam throws 4 TD's.

Having watched the game last week I was left with a feeling of hopeful disappointment. Yeah, the Good Guys lost, but they lost at the very end, had a lead late, were competitive throughout, gave and asked no quarter, and REP-RE-SEN-TED! Now that I live in Seachicken country, the importance of better Ram performance has never been greater to me. I may be on Medicare but I'll still go toe-to-toe with any Seattle fan one-third my age about the Rams. It would be so much easier, tho, with a few wins. And that is where the hope comes in, because I see wins, many wins, in the Rams' future. I believe they can be competitive every week against anybody, and that a feeling I haven't had about this team in a very long time.

It feels good to be a Rams fan again.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dochal said:
Interesting read, X, but you'll never sell any of it to the haters. Especially if the Rams lose to Washington, which I expect they won't because the game is at home. But on the CHANCE I am wrong, the hating will be brutal, even if Sam throws 4 TD's.

Having watched the game last week I was left with a feeling of hopeful disappointment. Yeah, the Good Guys lost, but they lost at the very end, had a lead late, were competitive throughout, gave and asked no quarter, and REP-RE-SEN-TED! Now that I live in Seachicken country, the importance of better Ram performance has never been greater to me. I may be on Medicare but I'll still go toe-to-toe with any Seattle fan one-third my age about the Rams. It would be so much easier, tho, with a few wins. And that is where the hope comes in, because I see wins, many wins, in the Rams' future. I believe they can be competitive every week against anybody, and that a feeling I haven't had about this team in a very long time.

It feels good to be a Rams fan again.
What's up Doc! :sly: I hear ya, man. Haters gonna hate. You know it just dawned on me that your time at the PD is probably work related, eh? Like ongoing training? lol. I mean, there are some pathologically pugnacious people over there, and it has to be fascinating to you, what with you being in the field of psychology and all.

I share your enthusiasm about the future too. The way I felt going into the Detroit game was nothing like how I felt during and after. It was really disappointing, but not in the way I anticipated. You know, like those times last year where the Rams got absolutely waxed and you felt like you just got gut-punched. I think they can pull this one out at home too. Bradford seems to be so much more comfortable at the Ed.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Warner4Prez said:
Iron Lion said:

I keep hearing that Barkley is the 'consensus #1' but a lot of people don't think he's that good. I hear his arm leaves a lot to be desired, and that he's not a very great physical specimen. Personally, I wouldn't draft him simply because he's a USC player, but that's just me.

I look at Barkley, and I don't see a skilled player at all. His wide receivers, Robert Woods and Marqise Lee (a true sophomore), are the guys who are truly impressive. Woods looks like a top five pick in this draft. Lane Kiffin said that Lee will be the best receiver that USC has if he stays in school...and after watching tape, I completely buy what Kiffin's selling (never thought I'd say that). Lee is a special kind of talent. Even better than Woods.

Barkley has been surrounded by elite talent his entire career: Tyron Smith, Matt Kalil, Robert Woods, and now Marqise Lee. He's quite possibly the most overrated player in college football, and he's going to be a huge disappointment if he goes to a bad team.

The thing that's helping him is that all of the other quarterbacks who are eligible have major question marks. Geno Smith and Logan Thomas are run first quarterbacks in the mold of Michael Vick and Cam Newton respectively, Aaron Murray is too small, Tyler Wilson has injury concerns, Tyler Bray is way too immature, and Landry Jones and E.J. Manuel are wildly inconsistent. Out of all of them, Logan Thomas is the only one who has a chance to beat out Barkley, and he's a longshot at best.

This might be a year where a quarterback doesn't go number one overall.

superfan24

Starter
ND kicks the shit out of MSU and USC gets upset by Stanford :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: What a great night.
Only thing better would be a Rams W today!!!!!!