Revisiting Paxton Lynch to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Merlin, I love your perspectives but Mariota wasn't considered raw. I think there was a thought about his transition but he did quite a bit more in his offense than what Lynch has done. The above article lays some of the things out. I think Mariota was asked to throw much more down the field, showed a greater ability to read defenses (Lynch doesn't seem to read them at all) and go through progressions and move targets with his eyes.

Lynch certainly reads defenses. But he didn't have the responsibility and freedom pre-snap that Mariota had.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Ideally we could trade up for Wentz or Goff, but I wouldn't be angry if we selected Lynch at 15, even though he is not my top choice. His own coach admitted he wasn't asked to do alot pre snap and most of his offense depends on easy short throws.

In terms of development he is behind Mannion coming out and now that Mannion has a year in the NFL. Even with our QBS hurt and struggling Mannion barely got some mop up snaps. Considering how raw Lynch is even compared to Mannion there isn't a great chance Fisher starts an incredibly raw rookie QB, so lock in Keenum/Mannion 2016 if he is the pick. In Lynch's evaluation there is alot of projection and we aren't in the meetings where the coaches determine his football acumen and his ability to learn, so we cannnot really determine if he is a worthwhile project from an outsiders perspective. IMO football wise he is bigger project than G Rob because of his positions, but he doesn't have top 5 athletic traits at his position like G Rob has. If the Rams determine he is a project worth developing sure, but does Snisher really have that type of job security?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems that Lynch is really far away from being ready to start. Some say maybe 2-3 years.
I have a hard time believing that to be true. I know its been said, but if will truly take him 2-3 years to be ready, then there's no way he should go in the 1st round, or possibly being drafted at all. That's what the coaching staff is for, work with his strengths/weakness and design plays that would afford him some comfort and get him out there. There's only so much you can learn by watching. And lets be honest, watching Case Keenum isn't like watching Brett Favre

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I prefer Wentz and Goff but I'd be ok with Lynch but he has to play in 2016. Im tired of the next year bs. Mannion should have gotten playing time last year and if they draft any of these QBs they need to play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Merlin, I love your perspectives but Mariota wasn't considered raw. I think there was a thought about his transition but he did quite a bit more in his offense than what Lynch has done. The above article lays some of the things out. I think Mariota was asked to throw much more down the field, showed a greater ability to read defenses (Lynch doesn't seem to read them at all) and go through progressions and move targets with his eyes.

West, you are correct that Mariota and Bortles both did more than Lynch, but I did not view either as anywhere near NFL ready. In Mariota's case they dumbed down the offense for him to allow him to play immediately similar to how the Skins did with RG3. The knocks on him pre-draft included the same stuff you see on all the spread offense guys; QBs in Kelly's system do not become experts in reading defenses by any stretch.

Quote from that draft profile linked above: "What I don't think the fans and media understand is that all these guys like Mariota, (Johnny) Manziel and (Bryce) Petty are all pure projection players. We can see certain characteristics on tape, but they don't play the same game that we play in the NFL so we can't see things we need to on tape. We have to make calculated guesses. I know this, I wouldn't bet against Mariota. He's a good football player." -- AFC QB coach

Here's another: “The NFL tends to treat quarterbacks like racecars that they immediately get on the track without getting any idea of really understanding the ins and outs of how that racecar works and how it handles,” said Matt Waldman, publisher of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio, who ranks Mariota third among draft-eligible passers behind Winston and UCLA’s Brett Hundley. “They probably will rush [Mariota] and he will have a higher risk of busting because of the fact that he’s being rushed into a system. Unless it’s a system like Philadelphia’s, where they’re going to move to an Oregon-like system and give that a try, he’s going to have a heightened risk to disappoint.”

It's all calculated projection with those guys IMO. So back to Lynch, I see him as a good kid who was well raised. Extremely talented, and while he wasn't asked to throw deep often he finished very, very well in downfield accuracy and his WRs were often relatively well covered. And he worked his butt off to learn the game as he played Wing T RB in high school and knew nothing. There is absolutely no reason for him not to go in the top half of round one the way I see it. Only way the Rams for example should pass on him if he makes it to 15 is if they know something about him we do not.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Would Lynch satisfy the QB hungry crowd here at ROD?
I would draft him in the 2nd rd if he was there. Maybe.
Honestly, if we don't get one of the top 2 guys i'd rather roll with Keenum/Mannion/Foles in 2016 and draft for skill positions/offensive help and defensive depth.

I just don't think Lynch is going to amount to much.

lockdnram21

Legend
I would draft him in the 2nd rd if he was there. Maybe.
Honestly, if we don't get one of the top 2 guys i'd rather roll with Keenum/Mannion/Foles in 2016 and draft for skill positions/offensive help and defensive depth.

I just don't think Lynch is going to amount to much.
I think tahts what will happen. 1 of the top 3 picks is going to be cb

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Ryan Tannehill? I dunno if that comparison makes me comfortable. I certainly wouldn't spend a first on a Tannehill clone.

That said, I don't think it's that the NFL doesn't understand that rookies aren't like race cars or whatever. It's just that they have limited time and resources and the position is critical to the success of a franchise. Especially without a development league, there's no way to give these guys a chance to acclimate to the pro game.