Revamping the Blog

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[textarea]Anyone interested in writing this year, feel free to do so. Submit any potential articles to me via PM, or via email at ramsondemand@gmail.com[/textarea]

By: X | On Twitter
http://www.ramsondemand.com/blog/

Previously arrested in October 2010 on a Class C misdemeanor DUI charge, Justin Blackmon, then in college at Oklahoma State, was arrested in Carrollton, Texas, at 3:45 a.m. While driving 92 in a 60-mph zone. Said Blackmon of the experience, “I look forward to redeeming myself and proving to everybody that this isn’t who I am. I am humbled by it, and I will grow from it.”

Fair enough. Everybody screws up. Who amongst us can begrudge a college kid for getting drunk and putting himself behind the wheel of a 3,000 lb vehicle and going 32 MPH over the speed limit? Well, yeah. Everybody. But let’s not be hypocritical here. If you’ve never found yourself at a bar at 3:00 and felt chill enough to drive, then you’re a model fucking citizen and this article isn’t for you. Tend to your avocado tree or put the finishing touches on that family album, because you’re not going to dig this.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 50.9% percent of adults 18 years of age and over were current regular drinkers in the past year (at least 12 drinks per year). That’s more than half the population of adults 18 years of age and over, for those too baked to do the math.

As sobering as those statistics are, so too was Blackmon’s experience. Typically when you get locked up for Driving Under the Influence, (as long as you’re not a complete asshole), you tow the line. Blackmon reflected on the incident when he was drafted by saying, “I view it as something that happened. I’ve grown from it, and it’s in the past.” The Jaguars apparently did their due diligence by asking him if he was serious. Sounded like it. With no other prior incidents, the Jaguars felt comfortable enough with his sincerity to grant him the benefit of the doubt.

Aw shit.

4fccc55ed535cf7b0f00001.jpg

At 3:01 a.m. on Sunday June 3rd, a Stillwater, Oklahoma police officer attempted to make a traffic stop on a white Chevy Tahoe for speeding (60 mph in a 35-mph zone) and for driving left of center. The vehicle failed to yield to the officer for about four blocks before stopping at a gas station parking lot.

The report said Blackmon had an odor of alcohol on his breath and was unsteady on his feet, his speech was slurred and his eyes were glassy and bloodshot. He admitted to consuming alcohol before driving and was arrested. There were no other occupants in the vehicle, and he was transported to the Stillwater city jail where he agreed to take the test that showed a blood-alcohol level of 0.24. According to factsontap.org, a 220-pound man would need to have 12 drinks in an hour to register 0.24. Blackmon is listed at 215 pounds.

Oklahoma law states a first-time offender who is convicted on a DUI charge can serve five days to a year in jail, have his license suspended for 30 days and face an alcohol education and treatment program. Additionally, he could be entered into the NFL’s Stage One Intervention Program that includes an evaluation, a possible treatment plan and random testing. The league, however, won’t announce if he is in the program unless he is suspended because the program is confidential, and players usually aren’t suspended for a first offense as an NFL player. Having a BOC of nearly twice the legal limit (while speeding) could lead to an exception to the suspension rule, however. Rodger Goodell hasn’t exactly been doling out compassionate advice as of late.

At any rate, Justin Blackmon is again remorseful for his actions, and will in short order, undoubtedly, tell us all that he’s learned from the experienced and will grow from it.

So what does this mean to the Rams? Nothing. Other than to say that Jeff Fisher and Les Snead continue to build on their incredible luck. It was rumored that the Rams would indeed draft Blackmon if he were to fall to them at #6 in the draft this past April. Since the Jaguars took it upon themselves to saddle the Organization with the draft’s first red card recipient, the Rams were compelled to trade back and pick up Michael Brockers (DT LSU) and use their garnered 2nd rounder to select Cincinnati RB Isaiah Pead (after trading back again to pick up an additional 5th rounder). With the additional 2nd rounder the Rams secured in the blockbuster trade with Washington prior to the draft, the Rams secured the services of Florida/North Alabama cornerback Janoris Jenkins; who, incidentally, is still walking the straight and narrow. No pun intended.

The moral? Alcohol is the most readily available and accessible legal “drug” in the Free World, and its effect on young adults is devastating. While a call to roll back prohibition is futile, one has to wonder how interested in bars and driving Blackmon would be, if he were simply laid back at his crib smoking a fat blunt. Sure, marijuana can also impair your ability to drive, and it is, after all, illegal; but the motivation to go out and consume 12 drinks in an hour would surely have been curbed. We instead may have been reading about a slightly overweight and less motivated Justin Blackmon reporting for Jaguars Training Camp. But at least he would have been able to report.

I’ll stop short of turning this into a “legalize marijuana and raise the drinking age” rant, but not before I have the opportunity (and the platform) to say:

Legalize marijuana and raise the legal drinking age.

Anonymous

Hope you don't mind. I reposted that at the huddle. I don't know the etiquette on the blog, so I don't know if you would rather I just post a link only or if posting this whole post is okay. Let me know on that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:
Hope you don't mind. I reposted that at the huddle. I don't know the etiquette on the blog, so I don't know if you would rather I just post a link only or if posting this whole post is okay. Let me know on that.
It's like any other blog. Free to do with whatever you wish.

Thanks.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It's a good article. I have to disagree on one thing, though: raising the drinking age. In Europe, particularly places like Germany, Holland, and the U.K., the drinking age limit is somewhere around sixteen. Kids are exposed to alcohol at much younger ages: around eleven or twelve. And yet Europe is notorious for having much less alcohol-related problems (deaths and arrests) than the United States - which has one of the highest drinking age limits in the world. My guess is that kids over there are much more aware to the dangers than we are. My guess is that letting our kids gain all the knowledge they need about alcohol while lowering the drinking age to eighteen (to prevent the "forbidden fruit" problem) would at least help stop the vast majority of the arrests and deaths.

As for driving while drunk? No, I've never felt the need to do that, but it's not because I'm a model citizen. It's because I don't drive at all - and I hardly ever drink.

And yes, make marijuana legal, except on the road.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memento said:
It's a good article. I have to disagree on one thing, though: raising the drinking age. In Europe, particularly places like Germany, Holland, and the U.K., the drinking age limit is somewhere around sixteen. Kids are exposed to alcohol at much younger ages: around eleven or twelve. And yet Europe is notorious for having much less alcohol-related problems (deaths and arrests) than the United States - which has one of the highest drinking age limits in the world. My guess is that kids over there are much more aware to the dangers than we are. My guess is that letting our kids gain all the knowledge they need about alcohol while lowering the drinking age to eighteen (to prevent the "forbidden fruit" problem) would at least help stop the vast majority of the arrests and deaths.

As for driving while drunk? No, I've never felt the need to do that, but it's not because I'm a model citizen. It's because I don't drive at all - and I hardly ever drink.

Interesting point. I wasn't aware of the drinking age over there.

Here, though, in the United States, I think it should go up. To 25-29 (somewhere in there). I just don't feel people are even remotely responsible enough to deal with the effects of alcohol until they're about 30. And even then... it's not a guarantee.

So raise the age. Why not? Obviously it would have a financial impact on the alcohol industry, but that's not our problem. I'd like to think that the scaling back of the workforce in that industry would be offset by not only the dramatic decrease in alcohol related deaths, but also the windfall of punitive fines resulting from citations for under-age drinking.

Jail overcrowding would probably be the worst impact, as if that's not bad enough already.

Whereas, if marijuana was legalized, it bring in another windfall of money resulting from the taxation of same. And. It would probably cut down on the use of alcohol in a BIG way. Then, of course, you're still running into the problem of under-age use, but that's a problem right now whether people want to believe it or not. Plus, legalizing it would eliminate entirely ALL of the Governmental resources and funding involved in stopping imported drug trade and grow farms. So to borrow upon your brilliant observations, I'll add Amsterdam.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'll post some thoughts on herb later ...

Something interesting concerning driving while under the influence of ganja according to a cop friend of mine-
A sign that police officers are told could be a real sign of someone driving under the influence of the ganj is.... driving UNDER the speed limit .

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Selassie I said:
I'll post some thoughts on herb later ...

Something interesting concerning driving while under the influence of ganja according to a cop friend of mine-
A sign that police officers are told could be a real sign of someone driving under the influence of the ganj is.... driving UNDER the speed limit .
I absolutely buy that. I personally don't drive after smoking. The paranoia would be too much for me to handle. I'm sure if I were to try it, I'd be going 39 in a 45 MPH zone with white knuckles and gigantic eyeballs, with my head on a swivel looking out for Johnny Law.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
LOL X,

Nobody is going to be speeding after a fat blunt.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:

Here, though, in the United States, I think it should go up. To 25-29 (somewhere in there). I just don't feel people are even remotely responsible enough to deal with the effects of alcohol until they're about 30. And even then... it's not a guarantee.

So raise the age. Why not? Obviously it would have a financial impact on the alcohol industry, but that's not our problem. I'd like to think that the scaling back of the workforce in that industry would be offset by not only the dramatic decrease in alcohol related deaths, but also the windfall of punitive fines resulting from citations for under-age drinking.

Jail overcrowding would probably be the worst impact, as if that's not bad enough already.

Whereas, if marijuana was legalized, it bring in another windfall of money resulting from the taxation of same. And. It would probably cut down on the use of alcohol in a BIG way. Then, of course, you're still running into the problem of under-age use, but that's a problem right now whether people want to believe it or not. Plus, legalizing it would eliminate entirely ALL of the Governmental resources and funding involved in stopping imported drug trade and grow farms. So to borrow upon your brilliant observations, I'll add Amsterdam.

I completely agree with you on the marijuana. The government has run a smear campaign on the drug for who knows how long when it doesn't have nearly as many dangers as alcohol.

I can't agree with raising the age limit, though. The main reason why kids drink underaged is because alcohol is regarded as the forbidden fruit of society. You officially become a full-grown adult when drinking it - or so these kids believe. And drinking and driving isn't the only problem; there's also the fact that kids tend to drink far too much. They don't know how to set a limit. They don't know when to stop. Is that a problem of the age limit? Or is it more that we haven't sat down and given them the same talk that goes with other issues? With us having so many more underaged drinking issues than Europe, I tend to think that it's the latter.

I also think that much harsher laws on DUIs ought to be taken into effect: eight months in prison on the first offense and taking away the drivers license for a full year after the sentence is served. On the second offense, the license should be taken away permanently with no chance to get it back and a mandatory two year prison term with no possibility for early release. Naturally, people who kill others while driving drunk should serve a much longer sentence.

No more of these temporary suspensions and probations. Hit them as hard as you possibly can.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The drinking age could be raised to 40 in some places (like Oklahoma) and wouldn't do anything. I've known ppl that drank in middle school. Drinking age here is fine where it is.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
Memento said:

Because the government can tax it that's why.

I believe they should lower the drinking age too really. If you can give up your life for the country you should be able to drink. I'm one for making everything legal btw. Can't believe Obama is pussing out after all the shit he talked before his election. The fact that he/people can actually laugh about the fucking question when it's brought up is pretty ridiculous.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Not to get too far off track here,,, but it is being reported in small circles here in Orlando that Phil Jackson decided against taking the front office job for the Magic last week only because he found out peyote is not legal in FL. :sly:

Society forms most people's opinions on various drugs, not the person himself. There are many different cultures that teach totally opposite beliefs with things like pot or peyote. Your perspective will be warped by your culture.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQsuGFd2r2g[/youtube]

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
In what state is peyote legal?

I mean I know some states have religious ceremony laws but...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Username said:
In what state is peyote legal?

I mean I know some states have religious ceremony laws but...

Must be Montana I guess,,,, Phil lives there.

(I just made that shit up about Phil and the peyote) Tell me you don't think he's got some in his medicine cabinet though :tooth:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I heard he ate a handful of buttons before game 7 in 2009. True story. :bign: