Report: Troy Aikman on verge of leaving Fox for ESPN's 'MNF'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Report: Troy Aikman on verge of leaving Fox for ESPN's 'Monday Night Football'​

A seismic shift may be going down in the world of NFL broadcasting.

Troy Aikman, currently the top NFL color commentator for Fox Sports, is deep in negotiations to leave the network to become the lead analyst for ESPN's "Monday Night Football," according to Andrew Marchand of the New York Post.

The deal will be reportedly be for five years, with a salary in the neighborhood of Tony Romo's $17.5 million per year contract with CBS. It's a good time to be a former Dallas Cowboys starting quarterback.

Aikman was also reportedly courted by Amazon, which is about to become the sole broadcaster, or streamer, of "Thursday Night Football." Amazon remains in negotiations for another broadcasting free agent, Al Michaels of NBC Sports. Per Marchand, ESPN could pursue Michaels as well.

The potential move would end a two-decade tenure at Fox for Aikman, who has been calling games with Joe Buck since 2002. It might not be the end for Aikman's partnership with Buck, though, as the well-known play-by-play man has his contract up next year.

Who could replace Troy Aikman at Fox?

Fox does not seem to lack for candidates to replace Aikman. Per Marchand, the network will consider its No. 2 analyst, former Carolina Panthers tight end Greg Oldsen, and former New Orleans Saints Asshole Face. It could also reportedly trade for Drew Brees, who currently works for NBC as a studio analyst.

There is also the possibility of Tom Brady, who probably has better things to do in his first year of retirement. Marchand even mentions the possibility of Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay for both Fox and Amazon, though that would require a shocking retirement at this point.

ESPN makes a splash hire for 'Monday Night Football'

The awkward part of ESPN poaching Aikman would be the fact that they already have a pair of "Monday Night Football" color commentators, though neither have the name recognition of Aikman and some other names ESPN has pursued.

Last season, Brian Griese and Louis Riddick were the latest occupants of a MNF broadcasting booth that has been something of a revolving door since the departure of Mike Tirico in 2016 and Jon Gruden in 2018. For the play-by-play role, ESPN has turned to Sean McDonough, Joe Tessitore and, most recently, Steve Levy, with varying results.

The color position has been even more chaotic. ESPN first brought on Jason Witten, who drew poor reviews and abruptly ended his retirement to re-sign with the Cowboys, then tried Booger McFarland as its sole color commentator, to even poorer reviews. At seemingly every juncture, the network went after Peyton Manning, but was rebuffed up until the Hall of Fame quarterback got his own broadcast with his brother Eli. The resulting Manningcast was unquestionably a win for ESPN, but left ESPN with a broadcast booth low on name recognition, but with decent reviews.

Now, ESPN may not be getting Manning in its biggest color commentary role, but it's reportedly on the verge of finally making that splash hire the network has been keen on for years.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah- Sean Mcvay would be an excellent choice as well. Bring Chuckie back & they could do play by play together.. Lmao

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
I read about this today. The question is who would become the number one commentator? Stink? Sanchez? Rich Eisen Show talked about this too. Al Michaels could call games for ESPN, which would be soo much better. I cannot stand watching the MNF since he left. When the Manning cast came on, it was a breath of fresh air.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

that will give him a chance to be even more wasted before he hits the air.

he already sounds like he had a few too many during the afternoon broadcasts.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That sucks. I also don't like Chris Collinsworth/Al Michaels splitting either. These guys on FOX and SNF have been the duo on their networks for the entirety of my time watching NFL. The new teams are gonna be hard to get used to.

Ram65

Legend
I'm much more interested in seeing replays than listening to the announcers. The more replays the better. The more angles the better.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope the money is worth it. Cowherd is always raving about how great it is to work for Fox. He even likened going from ESPN to Fox, to Stafford going from Detroit to LA or OBJ from Cleveland to LA.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
fast times at ridgemont high swimming GIF

ESPN dreaming about signing Aikman, just make sure they knock or lock the door. Because if this doesn’t happen….
creeping fast times at ridgemont high GIF

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I'm much more interested in seeing replays than listening to the announcers. The more replays the better. The more angles the better.
I actually watch Rams' games with the sound off.

I tape them, and re-watch with the commentary but only after I know the results.