Report: Owners vote to abolish 75-man roster cuts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 23, 2017, 11:58 AM EDT
497971842-e1495555095840.jpg
Getty Images
There are about to be more bodies available for those all-important fourth preseason games.

According to Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com, owners have just voted to abolish the roster cuts to 75.

Those cuts, a step between the 90-man offseason roster and the 53-man regular season roster, came between the third and fourth exhibition games.

And since most teams won’t use starters in the final tune-up, that left a handful of players to play the majority of the most meaningless of the meaningless games. That gives the guys on the fringe one more game of tape to show prospective employers.

It will also make the week before the start of the regular season rather more chaotic.

Now, 1,184 players will enter the workforce at the same moment, creating a land rush for waiver claims and practice squad signings in the days leading up to the opener.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Owners approve measure to add another return from IR spot
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 23, 2017, 12:19 PM EDT
623078534-e1480284599742.jpg
Getty Images
Teams hit by injuries (which would be all of them) now have a little more flexibility.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, owners approved a measure which would add a second player per team to return from injured reserve.

The designated-for-return device gives teams options for guys who could miss a few months, but not the entire year.

And now, they’ll be able to double their use of it. Last year, for instance, the Cardinals had to decide whether to bring back safety Tyvon Branch or running back Chris Johnson after both went on IR the same day with hernias, ultimately bringing Branch back and shelving Johnson for the rest of the season.

Likewise, any shot the Patriots might have thought they had of getting Rob Gronkowski back late in the season went away when they activated Jacoby Brissett.

Now, teams won’t have to choose.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I wish they'd increase the practice squad size even more. Having players available that know your system in case of injuries makes for better football. I hate watching games where the announcers point out that the starting corner was out of football until the previous Monday morning. That's not quality.

Psycho_X

Legend
What? The owners coming up with rules that make sense and are positive for the game? This is different.

I would think there will still be a lot of cuts regardless before preseason game 4 but at least now they have options and aren't handcuffed to at least 75 players. Can keep on an extra kicker or QB or FB whatever to limit exposure on some players who will be contributors but don't need to be playing in that game but would have to otherwise. Also, they need to increase the game day roster by at least 5 players imo.

Also, I know there is a reason but it escapes me at the moment why they even have the strict IR rules? Or pass a rule that lets any player on IR come off of it after the regular season so that players can at least come back for playoff games if able? Always seemed like they could be a lot more flexible on that sort of thing.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just 10 OTA's with no contact. No contact with players until TC. Teams are in TC mode 4 games into the season. How about changing that?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
2 players getting hernias on the same day? Now that's bad luck

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I wish they'd increase the practice squad size even more. Having players available that know your system in case of injuries makes for better football. I hate watching games where the announcers point out that the starting corner was out of football until the previous Monday morning. That's not quality.
Agreed! I also wish they would allow the entire 53 man Roster to Suit-Up on game day!!(y);):D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Next step is removing the weekly inactives and go in to each game with the full 53 man roster.

Ramification

Happy at the Coliseum again
If I were a player on the bubble, I wouldn't like the elimination of the cut to 75.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gee. The final preseason game was already pretty much unwatchable.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
It will also make the week before the start of the regular season rather more chaotic. Now, 1,184 players will enter the workforce at the same moment, creating a land rush for waiver claims and practice squad signings in the days leading up to the opener.

1,184 players will enter the workforce at the same moment...

NFL teams will now need all free hands on deck to help scout all the preseason games on a more intense detailed level so they can monitor and project what players from the other 31 teams might be cut.

This is surely going to add some drama and twists as teams scramble to upgrade the bottom of their rosters and complete their practice squads. I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing but there should no doubt now be a frenzy of action and suspense added to the end of preseason.

frenzy-logo.jpg

tumblr_m8g20p0ZDr1r071j5o1_500.gif

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Cutdown day and the day after is going to be fun for us fans. teams will be scrambling!

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Just 10 OTA's with no contact. No contact with players until TC. Teams are in TC mode 4 games into the season. How about changing that?

The small number of practices with live contact is thanks to the CBA for the players union; it's been in place since 2011 and doesn't expire until March 2021.

The owners can't vote that out. Not sure how they'll get the players to agree to adding more live contact for the next CBA, either.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why not have a 60 man roster with 53 game day actives. Owners can afford the extra $$
Of course *if* they are truly concerned with player safety

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Also, I know there is a reason but it escapes me at the moment why they even have the strict IR rules? Or pass a rule that lets any player on IR come off of it after the regular season so that players can at least come back for playoff games if able? Always seemed like they could be a lot more flexible on that sort of thing.
The only logical explanation for this^, that I can come up with is a possible concern that player's have an appropriate amount of time to completely rehab! that would enhance their career playing time!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, I know there is a reason but it escapes me at the moment why they even have the strict IR rules?
You'd think that in today's game where injuries (particularly in the head) are treated with so much more caution, that these rules would instantly be revised. Never could understand why it had to be so cut and dry. Why not have a system like MLB that has different length DL trips, a 10 day, 30 day etc