Reggie Ragland is now an Option

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I don't think Ogletree can shed the blocks well enough to play in the middle. He excels in space though. Moving him inside is only to keep Barron IMO. Then in 2017 they'll move Ogletree back and use Barron like they did before, after they draft a MLB. I never consider Ogletree to be a natural MLB. I know he played there in college, but he always looked more the athlete than football player.

I have not been able to look at Ragland, but Senior bowl reports said he surprised with how good discoverable skills were. That is not what I expected.

I agree though, getting a QB has to be top priority, only I don't think the trade the future picks to move up for number 1. And Tennessee really needs the best OLT they can get so moving too far back is a bad idea for them. So, they would be trading up for Wentz or Lynch. I'd rather they not use extra picks for Lynch or Cook. So, a QB at 15 could allow for a MLB in rounds 2-3.

They'll need a capable back-up at MLB, in case of injury.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Ogletree can shed the blocks well enough to play in the middle.

With his range and cover skills, it won't be an issue. It was an issue with Laurinaitis because he lost his range and cover skills. Most teams aren't using thumpers in the middle anymore.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
If I take any LB in the 1st round, not withstanding the need for a QB, I'm going to trade up for Myles Jack. I think he is arguably the best player in the draft.

If not, I think Antonio Morrison out of Florida would be a huge upgrade. And, if his stock doesn't rise, should be available in the 4th round.

nighttrain

Legend
Ragland isn't worth the #15 pick. Doesn't have the range and cover skills to be an elite MLB in today's NFL. He's like former Bama LB Dont'a Hightower. Great run stopper. Can be a good NFL LB in the right role...but James Laurinaitis's position is not the right role. We need a guy that makes plays all over the field. Not a downhill thumper. IMO, Ragland is a late 1st/2nd round type player.

And this team has no business spending a first round pick on a LB with the GAPING hole at QB.
plus we should be able to pick uip Scooby Wright later in the draft
train

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
With JL55 being cut today I have to think the Rams will be looking for his replacement somewhere in the draft. If we don't take a QB or WR in the 1st Round (I hope we get one of those) then it is very possible Fisher will target an elite MLB and my selection would be Ragland.

Laurinaitis's greatest weakness is Ragland's greatest strength, stopping the run. Ragland is an old school, physical thumper. He is 6'1", around 260 pounds, and he is very strong. He takes on blockers at the point of attack and lays the wood on opposing running back. He's also an underrated pass rusher as he can put his hand in the ground and get after the QB. He is an intimidating presence in the middle of the field and that is what the Rams have been missing.

From a coverage standpoint Ragland can certainly hold his own especially in zone coverage. He does not possess the cover skills or athleticism of a guy like Myles Jack but he won't have to be taken off the field on 3rd downs either. Receivers probably don't want to cross him too much in the middle of the field purely because he can knock them into next year. Ragland is a guy that can come in and improve the defense from day 1.

Another option for the Rams is to focus on offense the 1st round or two and get a guy like Kentrell Brothers in the 2nd or 3rd Round. Either way I see the Rams taking a MLB somewhere in the first 3 rounds of the Draft and I hope they get a physical presence to replace JL55. What do y'all think? If the top 3 QBs and Treadwell are gone by #15 would y'all pick Ragland?
As far as this^ is concerned, Miles Jack is more an OLB, I think Ragland is best inside.
And as far as Kentrell Brothers goes, I don't think hell be around in the 3rd round.
But I do believe your on the right track!! These are the ones to focus on!!:snicker::shades:

WvuIN02

Starter
Not a fan of Ragland.

Yea, he's a Bama kid, but he's no CJ Mosley....and not wasting a 1st on that position unless they have that kind of talent, esp given what the rams need