Reggie Ragland is now an Option

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
With JL55 being cut today I have to think the Rams will be looking for his replacement somewhere in the draft. If we don't take a QB or WR in the 1st Round (I hope we get one of those) then it is very possible Fisher will target an elite MLB and my selection would be Ragland.

Laurinaitis's greatest weakness is Ragland's greatest strength, stopping the run. Ragland is an old school, physical thumper. He is 6'1", around 260 pounds, and he is very strong. He takes on blockers at the point of attack and lays the wood on opposing running back. He's also an underrated pass rusher as he can put his hand in the ground and get after the QB. He is an intimidating presence in the middle of the field and that is what the Rams have been missing.

From a coverage standpoint Ragland can certainly hold his own especially in zone coverage. He does not possess the cover skills or athleticism of a guy like Myles Jack but he won't have to be taken off the field on 3rd downs either. Receivers probably don't want to cross him too much in the middle of the field purely because he can knock them into next year. Ragland is a guy that can come in and improve the defense from day 1.

Another option for the Rams is to focus on offense the 1st round or two and get a guy like Kentrell Brothers in the 2nd or 3rd Round. Either way I see the Rams taking a MLB somewhere in the first 3 rounds of the Draft and I hope they get a physical presence to replace JL55. What do y'all think? If the top 3 QBs and Treadwell are gone by #15 would y'all pick Ragland?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Ragland would elevate our defense all the way to number 1...

But trading all our picks for a QB would still improve our team more. So I would still be upset if we ended up with Ragland.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Not sure how I feel about him as a cover guy, but the dude is talented. Just don't want a 2 down guy that high in the draft.

He handles zone decently enough, but I wouldn't want him to man up on anyone.

Maybe Jaylon Smith would be the better play there if available. Then you have to check him off medically.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams don't need to get MLB with round one draft position. There are some solid guys like Wright and Mata they should be able to scoop in round 3, and there are also some options in FA.

Not saying the Rams would be averse to taking Ragland if they think he's all that. But I suspect his window of BPA starts opening late round 1 into round 2.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'd love to have him here. If the Rams can't workout a trade up for a QB, and Treadwell isn't there, run to the podium with him. He can elevate us to a top 5 D almost immediately. People will fear him. After being fully developed he can be that Ray Lewis/Patrick Willis type of player.

1. Ragland
2a. Tyler Boyd
2b. Hunter Henry
3. De'runnya Wilson

Let those offensive players grow with Mannion. They didn't draft him in the 3rd if they didn't think he can play.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't think he's there for us at 15 and the only thing I'd want to trade up for is a QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ragland isn't worth the #15 pick. Doesn't have the range and cover skills to be an elite MLB in today's NFL. He's like former Bama LB Dont'a Hightower. Great run stopper. Can be a good NFL LB in the right role...but James Laurinaitis's position is not the right role. We need a guy that makes plays all over the field. Not a downhill thumper. IMO, Ragland is a late 1st/2nd round type player.

And this team has no business spending a first round pick on a LB with the GAPING hole at QB.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I think it's pretty clear we'll be drafting D at 15, be it an ILB or DE, there is no way Fish lets his D decline - No way I say!

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Ragland isn't worth the #15 pick. Doesn't have the range and cover skills to be an elite MLB in today's NFL. He's like former Bama LB Dont'a Hightower. Great run stopper. Can be a good NFL LB in the right role...but James Laurinaitis's position is not the right role. We need a guy that makes plays all over the field. Not a downhill thumper. IMO, Ragland is a late 1st/2nd round type player.

And this team has no business spending a first round pick on a LB with the GAPING hole at QB.

He is ranked #10 on ESPN big board.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I think Ogletree plays in the MLB. I don't think fisher is stupid enough to skip out on the offense in the first again this year. Sign Barron to play WIL. No problem.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sorry but I completely disagree. Ragland is more like C.J. Mosley than he is Hightower. He's more athletic than Hightower but doesn't quite have the cover skills of Mosley. He was the unquestioned leader of that historic Bama front 7 and I think he's more of a playmaker than you're giving him credit for.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am on board with Reggie Ragland as a very good second round selection @ #43.;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry but I completely disagree. Ragland is more like C.J. Mosley than he is Hightower. He's more athletic than Hightower but doesn't quite have the cover skills of Mosley. He was the unquestioned leader of that historic Bama front 7 and I think he's more of a playmaker than you're giving him credit for.

Ragland isn't anything like Mosley. Mosley was a rangy guy known for his cover skills that didn't fight off blocks well. Ragland has almost 30 pounds on Mosley. He's got a near identical game to Hightower with similar dimensions. He's a downhill run stopper who excels at stacking and shedding blocks. Alabama even used Ragland like it used Hightower.(like having both players come down and rush with their hands in the dirt on many passing downs)

He is ranked #10 on ESPN big board.

Okay? That's ESPN's opinion. Not mine.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8383/alec-ogletree
The Rams are expected to move Alec Ogletree to middle linebacker.
The Rams plan to re-sign Mark Barron to play the weak side. Moving Ogletree inside should improve a run defense that ranked in the bottom half of the league. Ogletree averaged 10-plus tackles per game before going down last year.

I agree with this. I'd make the same call.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Ogletree plays in the MLB. I don't think fisher is stupid enough to skip out on the offense in the first again this year. Sign Barron to play WIL. No problem.

Skip out on the offense in the first again?

Seems to me they drafted Gurley in the first last season. The year before they drafted Robinson #2 overall. Last season their first 7 picks were offense in fact. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be looking at offense again, but let's not act like they haven't been using the draft for offense in recent years.