Reflecting on Pre-Season Game 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
First, let me say, my opinion of the type of team the Rams can ultimately be this year(a little below .500) was not fundamentally altered by this game. Its the preseason. It means very little. If we play poorly in preseason games 3 and 4, then I may downgrade my opinion.

The main reason this game didnt alter my view of this squad is, for the most part, our schemes were very basic. IMO this reflects the fact that the new offense and defense are still being implemented. They havent really explored the more exotic play calls.

Some of my observations:
Very underwhelmed by Conrath. He was in there early and often. He didnt eat blockers, wasnt very good against the run, and showed little pass rush abilities. I know its hard to expect much out of a undrafted rookie in their first preseason game, but given the reports from camp I did expect more. On the flip side, while I wasnt super attentive the whole time he was in the game, I was impressed with Cudjo.

Hopefully Stewart will beat Dahl out for the starting job.

Wasnt overly stoked about the way Murphy played. Was stoked about Jenkins play. Instinctual, talented CB. Zone coverage was poor. I think our personell is suited more for man D anyway.

Oline wasnt pretty. Richardson is bad. We all know Smith is more physically gifted but apparently the staff favors Richardson(unless theyre playing games with Smith). If Smith cant beat him out. We are screwed. Although Smith got whipped by Jerry Hughes twice. Quinn wasnt great as the starting LG and IMO Rok was the most impressive lineman in the game when he played. I still expect to see him make a push for that job. Starting oline looked decent in the run game. Backups missed assignments.

Pettis played well. A couple really nice snags. Salas played late, with the guys that wont make the team. Would have expect the opposite on both accounts. I liked the way Steve Smith played too.

Pead is quick. His cuts remind me of Shady McCoy. Maybe not quite as explosive. He was a little overly excited. He needs to improve ball security. I think we have a keeper of a back up RB. DR has only practiced for about a week, but I didnt see much out of him.

What are y'alls opinions?

bluecoconuts

Legend
More or less the same as yours. I think they might have mixed things up a bit here to see how guys react. I think that Smith will end up taking that starting job back, and that Rok might snag that starting LG as well.. If not then he probably will be starting by the end of the season if he keeps improving. The natural talent is there for sure. I want to see Wells in there too, I'm hoping he can make it back in for at least the third game. I'm holding off judging the o-line too hard until we get our 5 starters in there.

I think that the schemes were really basic to keep guys healthy, and get guys a little familiar with playing on the big stage. I noticed that the vets were out real early, I don't think that was by chance.

Jenkins was impressive, he's going to be good. Dahl was Dahl, we'll need an upgrade there. If Stewart can't be that upgrade then I expect them to address it next year in the draft. They're good in the box, but we need someone who can cover deep as well. Otherwise the defense was meh, but I think a large part of that was the fact that we were very vanilla, and that the Colts played that first half almost like a regular season game. It looked like they were showing a little more of their playbook than teams usually do. Probably trying to make an impression.

Offense looked decent with SJ and Bradford in. Bradford had a ball that he probably wanted back, but the protection was iffy. I think I like Davis a little better than Clemons, but I'm sure they'll keep the vet over the rookie. Davis can battle for that #2 spot next year, he's gonna be #3 on the depth chart though.

I think Pettis looked good, if he keeps playing like this he'll make the staff want to keep him after his suspension. Good job catching balls in tough areas, the sure hands is a must with this team obviously. Smith looked pretty good as well, came off pretty early I thought. Although he may have came back, I didn't see the second drive. Givens has good speed, didn't connect on any of those deep passes, but the speed is there, and I like that they showed it a few times. It'll make defenses take that into account and probably open up those mid range areas for Quick, Salas or others to take advantage of. It's not easy for teams to cover the run, worry about Amendola short, Givens deep, and the rest of our guys intermediate.

Starting D-line got some good pressure, ST looked pretty solid as well.

Overall, it wasn't bad. The score was lopsided but I think they have some good things to come out of the game and work on and improve. I want to see how the team adapts and adjusts in the second game, and especially the 3rd game. I'd have liked to have seen an extended drive and some points obviously, but I don't mind losses in preseason, as long as we learn from them.

If we go 0-4 and make the same mistakes week after week, then I don't like that. But if we go 0-4 and adjust and improve, I'm alright with that, as long as they are good in the regular season. So that's the biggest thing I want to see, how the coaching staff comes out and adjusts. That'll speak more about how the future will play out, not only this year but years after.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Pros:

Joe Long impressed me. Thought Davis had nice zip to his throws. Rok opened my eyes a bit. The ST rookies looked solid. Pead was excited at first but seemed better as the game went on. Kendricks had his moments. I also thought J Smooth had some good blocks too.

Cons:

Barry Richardson. :sick: Secondary didn't seem to impress me for whatever reason nor did the LB corps.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I agree with both of you for the most part.

C. Dahl was horrible, but don't worry, they saw that today. Stewart is a big part of what was missing on defense. We need to find another safety, but our rookie played OK. Overall, I was very disappointed in the defense. I thought they would be better at this point, but there was TONS of holding going on. I guess the Colts are banking on replacement refs for the whole season. It did look like we have a lot more talent individually though. It was good to see Cudjo back. Brockers didn't do much, but played OK. Langford had one spectacular play, WOW.

Offensively, Pettis was spectacular in his limited time. Bradford looked fine, especially considering the pressure. Clemons and Davis were fine, Davis has something, I think. Pead and Richardson have some flash and will be fine. All the receivers looked good with the exception of Salas making a cardinal sin.

The offensive line was horrible in every phase. Only a couple of individuals played well. I think Richardson may have outplayed Smith, but it was a stinkfest, and we have to improve there. I'm suspecting that Watkins is playing RG so that we can move Dahl out to RT, if Rich and Smith fail. It wasn't just technique with these guys, it was horrible decision making and missed assignments. I expected that, because it is all I've ever seen with my own eyes. Too harsh? Not as harsh as the coaches will be. I expect to see changes in the rotation. If protecting Sam was the number one priority...FAIL. I am still concerned, but not more than I was before the game, and time is our friend, and maybe the waiver wire will be our friend as well.

The defense was so bad, it took a lot of valuable reps away from the offense, which was too bad, they needed them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, Pettis' performance today kinda put DX out on the bubble IMO. He has a nice radius and his hands are like flypaper. I was encouraged by the speed of Givens and the fluidity of Steve Smith too. Once the timing comes together and they get their reps in with Bradford, things will come together.

Jackson looks like a 3rd year player again. That dude is ageless.

Once Pead's eyes get a little smaller, he'll be a very nice addition. I wish they would have bounced him to the outside more.

I want Brit Miller at FB.

Jenkins is a pure corner.

Murphy still needs to get up to game speed again.

My 'concerns' about the O-line are warranted. Bradford is still getting knocked around.

Quinn is going to be a straight up beast this year. No doubt in my mind.

In 3 years time, Brockers & Langford will be the DTs everyone talks about.

Still hate the collar on those uniforms. "Table for two?"

That's about it.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
Yeah, Pettis' performance today kinda put DX out on the bubble IMO. He has a nice radius and his hands are like flypaper. I was encouraged by the speed of Givens and the fluidity of Steve Smith too. Once the timing comes together and they get their reps in with Bradford, things will come together.

Once Pead's eyes get a little smaller, he'll be a very nice addition. I wish they would have bounced him to the outside more.

My 'concerns' about the O-line are warranted. Bradford is still getting knocked around.

That's about it.
Ovie sucked :grr:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
I'm suspecting that Watkins is playing RG so that we can move Dahl out to RT, if Rich and Smith fail.

Thats an interesting hypothesis Dr. After what i saw today, one that I would be open to.

There are several big name OTs left out on the market too. I wonder what their status is(if they want to play). Most are past their prime but maybe an upgrade. Stacey Andrews, Chad Clifton, and Kareem McKenzie are all out there. At this point I wouldnt mind seeing Goldberg or LeVoir back at least for competition.

X said:

I thought the same thing. I wonder if they were running him between the tackles just to work on that aspect of his game.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
I'm suspecting that Watkins is playing RG so that we can move Dahl out to RT, if Rich and Smith fail.

Thats an interesting hypothesis Dr. After what i saw today, one that I would be open to.

There are several big name OTs left out on the market too. I wonder what their status is(if they want to play). Most are past their prime but maybe an upgrade. Stacey Andrews, Chad Clifton, and Kareem McKenzie are all out there. At this point I wouldnt mind seeing Goldberg or LeVoir back at least for competition.

X said:

I thought the same thing. I wonder if they were running him between the tackles just to work on that aspect of his game.
I'd rather go in another direction than Levoir or Goldberg (Isn't he on a team?) But Clifton is interesting. There may be others out there too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
X said:

That's about it.
Ovie sucked :grr:
His performance sucked, but he's a pro-bowl caliber FB. We've still got a ways to go before all 11 guys are playing as a wall. I heard that phrase tossed around a couple of times in the game by one of the announcers, and it was absolutely spot-on. 22 individuals playing like individuals, and that's what you're going to get after putting so many new guys together for the first time and playing not one, but TWO new schemes.

It'll get better.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I expect to see a couple new faces on the OL once cuts begin. There really isn't any other answer I'm afraid. We really really need Wells in the lineup very soon so maybe they can build off of his calls and see what happens.

Anonymous

X said:

That's about it.

Not so fast. :mrgreen:

The OL was worse in the 2010 first preseason game, and by worse, I mean far worse. It was panic city all over the net on that one. (That was the infamous vikes game).

And by game 3 against the Patz they had gotten it together and played decently all of 2010.

Didn't we learn then that you don't judge an OL until at least preseason game 3?

Oh and in terms of last year, the preseason eneded with guys like Venturi offering reasons why the OL could not pass protect. (He thought it was that they weren't comfortable with the system and had a ton of communication and execution issues.)

So I figure we have a real picture by game 3.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:

The OL was worse in the 2010 first preseason game, and by worse, I mean far worse. It was panic city all over the net on that one. (That was the infamous vikes game).

And by game 3 against the Patz they had gotten it together and played decently all of 2010.

Didn't we learn then that you don't judge an OL until at least preseason game 3?

Truth

I remember that game. Vikes had 6 sacks. 0 by Allen and Edwards as they played minimally.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
OL I didn't think did THAT horrible. Not exactly Pace, Nutten, Timmerman but not Barron, Cogs, Goldberg.

Next game I want to see an offensive TD.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:

That's about it.

Oh and in terms of last year, the preseason eneded with guys like Venturi offering reasons why the OL could not pass protect. (He thought it was that they weren't comfortable with the system and had a ton of communication and execution issues.)

Yeah, I know. It's probably premature at this point, but that (in and of itself) is not going to remove my concerns. It's like saying I shouldn't be concerned about drunk drivers because last year none of them killed me. I'm not in 'panic mode' or anything, so you should differentiate what I'm saying from what the panic people are saying. I'm just a little concerned is all, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If my concerns turn out to be baseless, then great. If not, then whatever. I have no control over it.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
X said:

That's about it.

Yeah, I know. It's probably premature at this point, but that (in and of itself) is not going to remove my concerns. It's like saying I shouldn't be concerned about drunk drivers because last year one of them didn't kill me. I'm not in 'panic mode' or anything, so you should differentiate what I'm saying from what the panic people are saying. I'm just a little concerned is all, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If my concerns turn out to be baseless, then great. If not, then whatever. I have no control over it.

So...if I follow you, there's nothing wrong with premature drunk drivers being in panic mode over their baseless concerns.

Given a response like that, it just sounds like you misread me......

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:
zn said:
X said:

That's about it.

Yeah, I know. It's probably premature at this point, but that (in and of itself) is not going to remove my concerns. It's like saying I shouldn't be concerned about drunk drivers because last year one of them didn't kill me. I'm not in 'panic mode' or anything, so you should differentiate what I'm saying from what the panic people are saying. I'm just a little concerned is all, and there's nothing wrong with that.

So...if I follow you, there's nothing wrong with premature drunk drivers being in panic mode over their baseless concerns.

No, no, no, no, no.

Baseless drunks are concerned about panicking drivers. That makes me prematurely read.

Get your facts straight or drop out of the conversation.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
zn said:
X said:

That's about it.

Well they better get it together soon. That same year they had 4-5 soft opponents in the regular season even to get ready before they headed to Ford field. We all remember how that went. This year they start there. I expect we'll be running the ball. A lot. Nothing wrong with that, especially against the Lions. Until they, just like every other team in the league will, put 9 in the box. Then we, um. Well... :crossed:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Just a general comment to the thread/thread title.

Going forward...

PUT THE BALL IN THE FUCKING ENDZONE. Ahem. That is all.

EDITED:
BY: X
REASON: You're allowed to curse. :twisted: No need to circumvent the filter, fuck boy.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
So far in the pre-season openers, NO other team has given up as many points or scored as few points as the Rams did today. Sure, it's still early... but SHEESH. Give me SOME freakin hope. :amped: 38-3 guys? REALLY!?

**Anywhere to watch game clips or even the FULL game online anywhere?

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
X said:
zn said:
X said:

That's about it.

No, no, no, no, no.

Baseless drunks are concerned about panicking drivers. That makes me prematurely read.

Get your facts straight or drop out of the conversation.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdKa9bXVinE[/youtube]