Referee/Arch-Nemesis For Broncos@Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Dagonet seeing my direction:
Are you implying they go to full time officials?

I would like to see them go with younger guys as officials. Ones who can keep up better with game speed. Maybe even players who can no longer cut playing and have been cut? Someone like a Derek Stanley would come to mind..

PS Before anyone goes harping on me for age discrimination.. I'm prolly older than 75% here. :cool:
Yes I am. It's the only way to get and insure competency. The argument against it is the tiny workload but that's a foolish argument IMO. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for/put into it. That off time should be devoted to really learning the rules and spending lots of time in the tape room looking at your performance. Much like the actual players do to get better.

75% just doesn't cut it Dag. :mad: :LOL: I haven't really thought about the age thing. Are you implying that they frequently aren't in position to make the correct call? If you are and it's true then I agree with you in principle. But then what's the age at which you have to retire? Everyone is different. I myself should have retired at 28. :sleep:

Alan

Legend
Prime Time with one of life's truisms:
Which makes them our arch-nemesis. :sneaky:
So true PT. Stupid people have been the bane of my existence for...I forget how many years but let me tell you it's a lot.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Yes I am. It's the only way to get and insure competency. The argument against it is the tiny workload but that's a foolish argument IMO. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for/put into it. That off time should be devoted to really learning the rules and spending lots of time in the tape room looking at your performance. Much like the actual players do to get better.

75% just doesn't cut it Dag. :mad: :LOL: I haven't really thought about the age thing. Are you implying that they frequently aren't in position to make the correct call? If you are and it's true then I agree with you in principle. But then what's the age at which you have to retire? Everyone is different. I myself should have retired at 28. :sleep:

I totally agree officials should be full time. I agree on the time off dedicated to learning the rules, meetings with league officials explaining the new rules better, and watching tape not only of themselves, but other officials screwing up and making correct calls. With the money riding on these games the officials should be "top gun."

I also believe in bringing in younger guys to do the officiating. I don't need some 65 year old trying to keep up with these guys. :cool: I'm thinking of bringing in players from college who didn't make the cut in the NFL. They'd be quick and hopefully have excellent vision. Alan, you put those guys in a training program as we are speaking of, and in a few years you'll have some damn good officials. Plus ex players out of college would know the game better one would think. Some of these officials today may have played the game but that was a long time ago. They're attorney's, accountants, and etc now.

Making them full time should allow them a good salary and decent retirement/pension. Hell, they could be like Illinois state employees and retire when they're 50-52.. lol I'm also sure that you'd have many college players who didn't make the cut in the NFL who would want to stay close to the game. I'm not sure if this would work but open to ideas to send to Roger. :cool:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I totally agree officials should be full time. I agree on the time off dedicated to learning the rules, meetings with league officials explaining the new rules better, and watching tape not only of themselves, but other officials screwing up and making correct calls. With the money riding on these games the officials should be "top gun."

I also believe in bringing in younger guys to do the officiating. I don't need some 65 year old trying to keep up with these guys. :cool: I'm thinking of bringing in players from college who didn't make the cut in the NFL. They'd be quick and hopefully have excellent vision. Alan, you put those guys in a training program as we are speaking of, and in a few years you'll have some damn good officials. Plus ex players out of college would know the game better one would think. Some of these officials today may have played the game but that was a long time ago. They're attorney's, accountants, and etc now.

Making them full time should allow them a good salary and decent retirement/pension. Hell, they could be like Illinois state employees and retire when they're 50-52.. lol I'm also sure that you'd have many college players who didn't make the cut in the NFL who would want to stay close to the game. I'm not sure if this would work but open to ideas to send to Roger. :cool:

That makes a tremendous amount of sense...but Goodell will never allow it for that very reason. You know, you have my vote as the next commissioner of the NFL.