Referee admits to error that gave 49ers an extra down

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Dan Hanzus
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000240782/article/referee-admits-to-error-that-gave-49ers-an-extra-down" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... extra-down</a>

[nfl]0ap2000000240534[/nfl]

The 49ers were the benefactor of an official's error Sunday, giving San Francisco an extra down on which it scored a touchdown in Sunday's 34-28 win over the Green Bay Packers.

Head referee Bill Leavy admitted after the game that he mistakenly ruled a replay of third down after offsetting penalties by Packers linebacker Clay Matthews and 49ers offensive tackle Joe Staley followed a Colin Kaepernick scramble in the second quarter.

"On the play where the quarterback (Kaepernick) went out of bounds and was hit late out of bounds, and then there was a subsequent hit by a San Francisco player, the down should have counted," Leavy said. "The penalties were both dead ball and they should have offset at the spot where the runner went out of bounds. And it would have been fourth down."

Asked if it should have been fourth-and-2 instead of third-and-6, Leavy replied, "Correct."

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy provided further explanation on the play in question, which set up a 10-yard touchdown catch by 49ers wide receiver Anquan Boldin on the next snap.

"The down ended when Kaepernick stepped out of bounds," McCarthy said. "Both the late hit by Matthews and the unnecessary roughness foul on Staley are considered dead-ball fouls. As a result, the down should have counted and the fouls offset at the dead-ball spot, making it fourth-and-2 at the 6-yard line.

"The officiating crew erroneously offset the fouls as if they were live-ball fouls and replayed third down."

The instant accountability is nice to see, but it doesn't change the painful result for the Packers.

jap

Legend
News Bot said:
By Dan Hanzus
The instant accountability is nice to see, but it doesn't change the painful result for the Packers.

It's a painful result for us too, damn it! But that's fine. We'll get the '9ers our own damn self!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jap said:
News Bot said:
By Dan Hanzus

It's a painful result for us too, damn it! But that's fine. We'll get the '9ers our own damn self!
Yeah, I don't care about those jagoffs.

I really feel for the Packers though. How many times can they get ROYALLY HOSED by refs before something breaks loose?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
jap said:
News Bot said:
By Dan Hanzus

I really feel for the Packers though. How many times can they get ROYALLY HOSED by refs before something breaks loose?
That's what I was thinking. 49ers got lucky to squeeze this out.

I love how Mathews hit that douche though

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
brokeu91 said:
X said:
jap said:
News Bot said:
By Dan Hanzus

That's what I was thinking. 49ers got lucky to squeeze this out.

I love how Mathews hit that douche though
I was at a Sports bar packed with whiner fans, and I LMAO when Clay took that hit on Kaperdoodle. But you'd thought someone just declared war on the USA by the response of the rabid fans in that place.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:
jap said:
News Bot said:
By Dan Hanzus

I'll take it one step further.

I don't care about any other jagoff teams. Screw them all, including the Packers. The Packers get plenty of media attention and get plenty of calls in their home stadium. You can bet the Packers would not get a taunting penalty in Lambeau like the Rams did in the dome.

The Rams get no favors from anyone and all those teams are happy to jump on us any chance they get. When I was in STL for the Packer game last year there were a ton of jerky Packers fans. So screw the Packers, Nines, Seahawks, Cards, Redskins, Cowboys, Colts, Bears, Giants, Pats, Denver, Falcons, etc.... Screw them all.

It's us against the world.

The rest of them can all drop dead as far as I'm concerned.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
X said:
jap said:
News Bot said:
By Dan Hanzus

I'll take it one step further.

I don't care about any other jagoff teams. Screw them all, including the Packers. The Packers get plenty of media attention and get plenty of calls in their home stadium. You can bet the Packers would not get a taunting penalty in Lambeau like the Rams did in the dome.

The Rams get no favors from anyone and all those teams are happy to jump on us any chance they get. When I was in STL for the Packer game last year there were a ton of jerky Packers fans. So screw the Packers, Nines, Seahawks, Cards, Redskins, Cowboys, Colts, Bears, Giants, Pats, Denver, Falcons, etc.... Screw them all.

It's us against the world.

The rest of them can all drop dead as far as I'm concerned.
You get any coffee in ya yet? :lol:

sent via Tapatalk.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
"Bring back the replacements, they can F calls up this way at a far cheaper price ":fk:

That BTW was edited out of Mike McCarthy's post game comments.

HOW does a whole crew not get that right?
It's not an opinion, how you "saw it" deal ,it's a f-ing rule .

JMO but the WHOLE replacement ref. bruha was BULLSHIT, this "mistake was worse than the last one that cost the Packers a game ,thank GOD we aren't in line for the even up game :sly:

iced

meh.

next play they hit boldin on a slant, broke a tackle and scored.. 4th & 2 or 3rd & 6, same result on the next play.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
iced said:
meh.

next play they hit boldin on a slant, broke a tackle and scored.. 4th & 2 or 3rd & 6, same result on the next play.
Not necessarily 4th and 2 they may have kicked a fg

iced

Rabid Ram said:
iced said:
meh.

hadn't they already gone for a couple 4ths before?

and with the way they were playing on d, i don't see them kicking an FG..

kaep had over 400 yards...

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
We will never know could have been a big swing in momentum had the ref made the right call. These refs need punishment when mistakes like this happen. Its ridiculous when ref play a role like this that effect the game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
iced said:
Rabid Ram said:
iced said:
meh.

hadn't they already gone for a couple 4ths before?

and with the way they were playing on d, i don't see them kicking an FG..

kaep had over 400 yards...
It's possible they wouldn't have run the same play if they want for it on 4th down, and it's also possible that Green Bay's D would have been swarming with a different alignment on that same play, were it come up on 4th down too. Just no way to tell how it would have played out, and it in no way excuses the fact that the refs blew it (again). This is the equivalent of giving a batter 4 strikes instead of 3.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Exactly when the refs are talked more about after a slugfest like this there is something wrong

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Simular to a few years ago cris Johnson actually broke ed's record against the Seahawks only to have it called back due to a penalty that didnt exist and ref admitted it was a bad call.

The players get held accountable for bad decisions as well as coaches why not thw the ref when they make atrocious calls such as these and others.