Ref for Bears@Rams: Jeff Triplette

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Triplette was the one who hit the Browns Orlando Brown in the eye with a penalty flag weighted with ball bearings and cost the NFL around $20 million in a lawsuit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Triplette
http://www.footballzebras.com/2015/11/10/13608/

Week 10 referee assignments
by Football Zebras staffNovember 10, 2015

Thursday, Nov. 12
  • Bills at Jets NFLN — Brad Allen
Sunday, Nov. 15
  • Lions at Packers — John Hussey
  • Cowboys at Buccaneers — Bill Vinovich
  • Panthers at Titans — Walt Anderson
  • Bears at Rams — Jeff Triplette
  • Saints at Washington — John Parry
  • Dolphins at Eagles — Terry McAulay
  • Browns at Steelers — Ron Torbert
  • Jaguars at Ravens — Pete Morelli
  • Vikings at Raiders — Tony Corrente
  • Patriots at Giants — Ed Hochuli
  • Chiefs at Broncos — Gene Steratore
  • Cardinals at Seahawks NBC — Clete Blakeman
Monday, Nov. 16
  • Texans at Bengals ESPN — Walt Coleman

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
frak.gif

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I pray to fate that we don't go into overtime this game. This guy is awful, and I don't know why we drew him twice. Who's next? Boger again? Vinovich, maybe? Maybe the newbie ref we had in the Viqueens game?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Just goes to show that there are no shortage of bad refs in the NFL. Twice in 11 weeks seems excessive but then again, there is no excess of bad refs! Might have to dvr this

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE WORST in My personal opinion. Maybe till last weeks Criminal Level GROUP RIPOFF of our BELOVED RAMS. As a unit STOLE a game even this Clown would not have gone to such Lengths. I'll NEVER forget it. Wow to think Triplette now is not my least favorite anymore.. He is no. 2 and still trying hard though.:icare:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
The NFL PA is responsible for this clown show of refs. If it was up to me they'd work 5 days a week. 4 days of of at least 8 hours of training/practice, then the actual game. But noooo. Apparently that's to much work to make 180k a year(I forget the actual number but this is what seems close in my mind at least, someone tell me what they actually make please).

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Apparently that's to much work to make 180k a year(I forget the actual number but this is what seems close in my mind at least, someone tell me what they actually make please).

1. $173,000

For the 2013-2014 season, NFL referees got paid on average $173,000(an increase from $149,000 the preceding year). Of course, rookie (first year) referees make much less, and verteran referees can make up to $200,000 per season

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yes @Tron they can make $200,000, a friend of mine has a co worker that is an NFL ref and when he told me the amount they made I was a bit shocked.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

1. $173,000

For the 2013-2014 season, NFL referees got paid on average $173,000(an increase from $149,000 the preceding year). Of course, rookie (first year) referees make much less, and verteran referees can make up to $200,000 per season
thanks prime! Guess i was close to the average. good guess!!! lol. Still insane for how little they actually have to put into it. NFLPA has destroyed the refs IMO.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
How much do the refs train? I know its not a lot, just trying to figure out the true number like I was the pay. How many hours a week do they put in in being a ref? I know its a part time job for them (best part time job ever). sorry guys, just to lazy to look this stuff up right now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Chock this one up as a loss. Triplette hates Fisher and the Rams. Zimmer probably put a burning bag of dog poop on Triplette's porch and spray painted "Guess who" in blue and gold on his car.

I fear we see some ridiculous stuff called in this next game.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Wow - the pay for referees has really gone up.... Where I used to work, we had a St. Louis based referee who worked as an attorney (his real job) in my building. He would bring in his game checks and he got paid something like $6500 / game. I was thinking to myself - what an amazing gig. But now, wow. That's a lot of jack.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
Jeff Triplette is my top choice for the most hated official of all time. He has messed up more games then anyone else......yet the NFL continues to employee him.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/jef...s-game-taunting-extra-point-worst-referee-nfl

Corrections/clarifications: A previous version of this story stated that an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty assessed after kickoff would move the kick to the 50-yard line.

Jeff Triplette, the longtime NFL referee who seems to be at the center of almost every officiating mistake or controversy, almost had another inexplicable screw-up during the Denver Broncos and Detroit Lions game on Sunday Night Football. It was one of Triplette’s more bizarre calls in a career filled with them because it wasn’t an innocent, negligent mistake (such as hitting Orlando Brown in the eye with a flag), a case of mind-boggling obtuseness (such as when he thought BenJarvus Green-Ellis wasn’t touched when falling to the turf for a 2013 touchdown), not keeping up with what’s supposed to be his field (such as when chains were moved in a Giants-Redskins Monday night game and retroactively put back) or messing up explanations (overtime rules are difficult to convey, to be fair).

No, this was a simple case of not knowing one of the most common rules in the NFL rulebook, a rule that a majority of football fans know. (It’s not the first time something like this has happened. In 2009, when Triplette went to the booth to review a play that wasn’t reviewable.)

hat was it this time around? It was a simple, inconsequential call late in the first half, but still one of incomprehensible incompetence. Peyton Manning hit Demaryius Thomas for a deep touchdown pass with time running out in the second quarter. Thomas turned around at the two-yard line to run backward into the end zone and was called for a 15-yard taunting penalty.* By rule, the touchdown stands and the penalty is assessed on the kickoff, the same way as always. But not when Jeff Triplette is wearing the stripes.

After correctly announcing the penalty and how it’d be marked off on the kickoff, Triplette spoke with the Lions bench and announced Detroit wanted the 15 yards to be assessed on the extra point, turning it from a 33-yard XP to a 48-yarder, a no brainer decision for a team, if such a call was legal. The Broncos actually lineup up for the kick before someone on Triplette’s crew remembered this obvious rule — a dead-ball penalty after a touchdown is assessed on the kickoff — and had it corrected.

Though Jeff Triplette is considered the NFL’s worst referee and has been called “disgraceful” and “indefensible” by Peter King, a writer not known to take hyperbolic shots, I always figured he still knows 100% more about the NFL rule book than any fan watching at home. It’s like armchair-quarterbacking a coach. They forgot more about football on the flight home than we’ve ever known. But in the case of Triplette, I’m not so sure that’s the case any more. This was as obvious a call as there gets and I’m genuinely fascinated by whether the Lions were trying to pull one over on him.

Here’s the rule, as listed in the NFL official rulebook:

Rule 14, Section 2, Article 3: If a team commits a personal or unsportsmanlike conduct foul, or a palpably unfair act, during a down in which the opponent scores, the penalty is enforced on the succeeding free kick (unless the score resulted from the enforcement).”

Now, as an aside: The NFL rule in question is dumb. Moving the ball to the 20-yard line after an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty is no penalty at all since a majority of kickoffs end in a touchback anyway. A team should be allowed to take that penalty on the extra point. But there are lots of stupid rules in the NFL rule books and it’s not Jeff Triplette’s job to decide which ones he’s going to enforce.

Anyway, the most baffling part of this whole affair is that Jeff Triplette continues to get high-profile games such as a nationally televised SNF contest featuring Peyton Manning. Because when he does, everyone is waiting for the monumental mistake. So later in the game, when it was clear that a call that initially ruled Thomas down by contact was actually a fumble, no one at home or in the stadium had any assurance Triplette would get the call right upon review and overturn it.

I’d say this is getting embarrassing for the NFL, but we passed that point about eight years ago.

* It wasn’t clear if the taunting penalty was even correct. High-stepping into the end zone, which is what the viewer saw Thomas do on TV, is not a penalty. That doesn’t mean he didn’t commit another violation that viewers couldn’t see or hear though.

* It wasn’t clear if the taunting penalty was even correct. High-stepping into the end zone, which is what the viewer saw Thomas do on TV, is not a penalty. That doesn’t mean he didn’t commit another violation that

Another good read: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...me-for-the-nfl-to-fire-referee-jeff-triplette

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
The NFL PA is responsible for this clown show of refs. If it was up to me they'd work 5 days a week. 4 days of of at least 8 hours of training/practice, then the actual game. But noooo. Apparently that's to much work to make 180k a year(I forget the actual number but this is what seems close in my mind at least, someone tell me what they actually make please).
it's not a full time job for most of them. Ed Hoch has his own law firm I believe. they're all loaded. so when they consistently fuck up they should be penalized and fined as heavily as Joyners gonna get it. that'll hopefully give a little extra motivation. but as for Triplette, his crew is gonna have their crosshairs on the Rams D all game thanks to Joyner

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why are you people talking about the NFLPA? The Refs aren't part of the NFLPA. They have the NFL Referees Association.

BTW, how the fuck do we get stuck with Tripleshit again? Jesus Christ.

Boger is incompetent. But his incompetence goes both ways typically. Tripleshit is an asshat and usually favors one team with his incompetence. Wouldn't shock me if he was betting on games like that NBA ref.