Recent history shows Rams can find impact talent at No. 37

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...istory-says-rams-can-find-impact-talent-at-37

The Los Angeles Rams have some favorable history on their side heading into Day 2 of the 2017 draft: They selected the only Hall of Famer to be drafted 37th overall. That would be Norm Van Brocklin, the former T-formation quarterback who came out of Oregon nearly seven decades ago.

Maybe they're due for another.

The Rams sat out Day 1, watching the three best receivers (Corey Davis, Mike Williams and John Ross), and the three best tight ends (O.J. Howard, Evan Engram and David Njoku) come off the board. Eight defensive backs were also selected, including USC's Adoree' Jackson, who grew up near St. Louis and remained an ardent Rams fan. But general manager Les Snead said his targeted player remains on the board and that he had no motivations to trade into the first round because he still sees impact talent for No. 37.

From 2000 to '16, the 37th overall pick produced three players who were invited to at least one Pro Bowl: guard Andre Gurode, defensive back Eric Weddle and tackle Jon Stinchcomb. They combined for 10 Pro Bowl invites and two All-Pro selections. All 17 of those picks have combined to serve 60 seasons as the primary starters for their respective teams, as defined by Pro-Football Reference. Not bad.

Below is a look at how each of the last 10 have fared, linked with the team that selected them ...

2016: DT Chris Jones, Chiefs: A Mississippi State product, Jones turned in a solid rookie season, starting 11 of 16 games while compiling 10 quarterback hits, five tackles for loss, four pass deflections and two sacks. Pro Football Focus graded him 13th among 127 qualified interior defenders.

2015: WR Devin Smith, Jets: A torn ACL caused Smith to miss the final three games of his rookie year and the first 12 of his second season. The speedy receiver and Ohio State product has compiled only 10 catches for 135 yards and a touchdown so far, but he has a chance to earn more targets.

2014: DT Ra'Shede Hageman, Falcons: Hageman came on strong late in the 2016 season and could be developing into one of the NFL's better linemen. In three years, the Minnesota product has compiled four sacks -- two of them over his last three games -- and five disrupted dropbacks while starting 15 games.

2013: RB Giovani Bernard, Bengals: Bernard has spent his first four years as a backup but has been productive as a runner and a receiver, compiling 4,113 yards from scrimmage and 20 touchdowns. He played in 55 of 58 games, then suffered a torn ACL in Week 10. His average yards per carry went from 4.7 in 2015 to 3.7 in 2016, but the Bengals' offensive line struggled.

2012: T Mitchell Schwartz, Browns: Schwartz spent his first four years with the Browns, then signed a five-year, $33 million contract with the Chiefs. Listed at 6-foot-5, 320 pounds, Schwartz has started all 80 of his games at right tackle and has been among the game's best. Pro Football Focus graded him 27th -- tied with Rodger Saffold -- among 78 qualified tackles last year.

2011: DE Jabaal Sheard, Browns: Sheard spent his first four years with the Browns, starting 50 of his 61 games, then signed a two-year, $11 million contract with the Patriots, helping them win the Super Bowl in February. He parlayed that into a three-year, $25.5 million deal with the Colts. Sheard has racked up 36 sacks and 260 tackles in 89 career games.

2010: DB Nate Allen, Eagles: Allen was a fixture in the Eagles' secondary in 2010-14, starting 69 of the team's 80 games and intercepting 10 passes. But Allen tore his MCL with the Raiders in 2015, playing in only five games, and was in a reserve role in 2016. The Dolphins signed him over the offseason and will give him a chance to start again, with T.J. McDonald serving an eight-game suspension.

2009: DB Alphonso Smith, Broncos: This was a mistake. The Broncos sent a future first-round pick to the Seahawks, which turned into Earl Thomas at 14th overall, to take Smith 37th. After only one year, he was traded to the Lions for a tight end named Dan Gronkowski, who spent most of the prior year on the Lions' practice squad. Smith's career was over after four NFL seasons.

2008: LB Curtis Lofton, Falcons: Lofton started 111 of a possible 112 games for the Falcons and Saints in 2008-14. During that time, he recorded 874 tackles, second most in the NFL during a seven-year span. He then started nine games for the Raiders in 2015 but was released during the ensuing offseason and sat out 2016. Lofton played only one season of a three-year, $18 million contract.

2007: Weddle, Chargers: Weddle is the star of this group and still one of the NFL's best safeties. The Utah product is a four-time Pro Bowler who has twice been named first-team All-Pro. Weddle spent his first nine years starring for the Chargers, then signed a four-year, $26 million deal with the Ravens. In 10 years, Weddle has 23 interceptions, 7 1/2 sacks and 936 tackles. Pro Football Focus graded him the NFL's best safety last season. Not bad for a 32-year-old.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...istory-says-rams-can-find-impact-talent-at-37

The Los Angeles Rams have some favorable history on their side heading into Day 2 of the 2017 draft: They selected the only Hall of Famer to be drafted 37th overall. That would be Norm Van Brocklin, the former T-formation quarterback who came out of Oregon nearly seven decades ago.

Maybe they're due for another.

The Rams sat out Day 1, watching the three best receivers (Corey Davis, Mike Williams and John Ross), and the three best tight ends (O.J. Howard, Evan Engram and David Njoku) come off the board. Eight defensive backs were also selected, including USC's Adoree' Jackson, who grew up near St. Louis and remained an ardent Rams fan. But general manager Les Snead said his targeted player remains on the board and that he had no motivations to trade into the first round because he still sees impact talent for No. 37.

From 2000 to '16, the 37th overall pick produced three players who were invited to at least one Pro Bowl: guard Andre Gurode, defensive back Eric Weddle and tackle Jon Stinchcomb. They combined for 10 Pro Bowl invites and two All-Pro selections. All 17 of those picks have combined to serve 60 seasons as the primary starters for their respective teams, as defined by Pro-Football Reference. Not bad.

Below is a look at how each of the last 10 have fared, linked with the team that selected them ...

2016: DT Chris Jones, Chiefs: A Mississippi State product, Jones turned in a solid rookie season, starting 11 of 16 games while compiling 10 quarterback hits, five tackles for loss, four pass deflections and two sacks. Pro Football Focus graded him 13th among 127 qualified interior defenders.

2015: WR Devin Smith, Jets: A torn ACL caused Smith to miss the final three games of his rookie year and the first 12 of his second season. The speedy receiver and Ohio State product has compiled only 10 catches for 135 yards and a touchdown so far, but he has a chance to earn more targets.

2014: DT Ra'Shede Hageman, Falcons: Hageman came on strong late in the 2016 season and could be developing into one of the NFL's better linemen. In three years, the Minnesota product has compiled four sacks -- two of them over his last three games -- and five disrupted dropbacks while starting 15 games.

2013: RB Giovani Bernard, Bengals: Bernard has spent his first four years as a backup but has been productive as a runner and a receiver, compiling 4,113 yards from scrimmage and 20 touchdowns. He played in 55 of 58 games, then suffered a torn ACL in Week 10. His average yards per carry went from 4.7 in 2015 to 3.7 in 2016, but the Bengals' offensive line struggled.

2012: T Mitchell Schwartz, Browns: Schwartz spent his first four years with the Browns, then signed a five-year, $33 million contract with the Chiefs. Listed at 6-foot-5, 320 pounds, Schwartz has started all 80 of his games at right tackle and has been among the game's best. Pro Football Focus graded him 27th -- tied with Rodger Saffold -- among 78 qualified tackles last year.

2011: DE Jabaal Sheard, Browns: Sheard spent his first four years with the Browns, starting 50 of his 61 games, then signed a two-year, $11 million contract with the Patriots, helping them win the Super Bowl in February. He parlayed that into a three-year, $25.5 million deal with the Colts. Sheard has racked up 36 sacks and 260 tackles in 89 career games.

2010: DB Nate Allen, Eagles: Allen was a fixture in the Eagles' secondary in 2010-14, starting 69 of the team's 80 games and intercepting 10 passes. But Allen tore his MCL with the Raiders in 2015, playing in only five games, and was in a reserve role in 2016. The Dolphins signed him over the offseason and will give him a chance to start again, with T.J. McDonald serving an eight-game suspension.

2009: DB Alphonso Smith, Broncos: This was a mistake. The Broncos sent a future first-round pick to the Seahawks, which turned into Earl Thomas at 14th overall, to take Smith 37th. After only one year, he was traded to the Lions for a tight end named Dan Gronkowski, who spent most of the prior year on the Lions' practice squad. Smith's career was over after four NFL seasons.

2008: LB Curtis Lofton, Falcons: Lofton started 111 of a possible 112 games for the Falcons and Saints in 2008-14. During that time, he recorded 874 tackles, second most in the NFL during a seven-year span. He then started nine games for the Raiders in 2015 but was released during the ensuing offseason and sat out 2016. Lofton played only one season of a three-year, $18 million contract.

2007: Weddle, Chargers: Weddle is the star of this group and still one of the NFL's best safeties. The Utah product is a four-time Pro Bowler who has twice been named first-team All-Pro. Weddle spent his first nine years starring for the Chargers, then signed a four-year, $26 million deal with the Ravens. In 10 years, Weddle has 23 interceptions, 7 1/2 sacks and 936 tackles. Pro Football Focus graded him the NFL's best safety last season. Not bad for a 32-year-old.

2 guys I flat out LOVED !!

Bernard I believe came out of Carolina .He was one of those guys like a Gordy Nelson,,Sproles,Jeffries,,DJackson,guy for LA C from Cal. Just to name a few .Thst is an example of finding true 1st rd value. Now those pick are day 2's & gives teams to take a breath & recharge .
Even reshuffle there board. If The Rams don't re mock then there DUMB.
When Les & McVay were interviewing 2 days ago you find out who The Rams new HC is .Les said we can go back & mock right now when we're done. Sean McVay sort of said under his breath was , I don't think so .(in my head sort of lmao) I believe he was just spent going over all the different scenarios .

This should be fun !!

Guys I really liked as sleepers for The Rams(in general)

1.EJ Gaines -- even more than Mo. Was upset about trading up for Joyner.Thought you can't let a player like him get away.

2. Jamon Brown --loved that The Rams traded back for Mannion & drafting Big Rob. Jamon Brown though I always thought could move inside to guard & dominant. Was VERY disappointed in him last season. I think like Ogletree coming into his 3rd year he will vastly improve.He now knows what it's like to have a full off season. You have to work hard to make it Big in The NFL.

Back to the top . Just Like JL55 Curtis Loften slipped to Atlanta(Sneed) ,

1. Loften
2.Ra" Hagemann - talk about changing a University for the better.Guys like him make teams better. Just a good football player in college. Sort of thought I might have been wrong about him. I think over the long hall this players succeed.

That all said. I really hope Gaines & Brown have a great season.

--I I'll shuffle my board & find a couple solid players for The Rams.
Peac & have a good day You'all like the. Number one pick of 2017 would say.

RamnSD

Rookie
Name
RamnSD
There are a lot of really great players still on the board. How about Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama ; or Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky; or Kevin King, CB, Washington , or Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina ; or Dan Feeney, G, Indiana. The Rams could use any of these players.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
They need to trade up to 33 and get Lamp. Not only would we get Lamp, but Seattle wouldn't.

Rocko

UDFA
They need to trade up to 33 and get Lamp. Not only would we get Lamp, but Seattle wouldn't.

I'm with you on this. I really want to solidify the offensive line for Goff and Gurley. I had season tickets for my family last season, and just watching the defense of the other team in our backfield play after play, game after game was unbearable. Strengthen the line, then go get a receiver. There's some good centers that will still be around in round 4 and 5, good time to pick one up.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
general manager Les Snead said his targeted player remains on the board and that he had no motivations to trade into the first round because he still sees impact talent for No. 37.
This^ is all you really need to know! I think the Rams are in GREAT shape coming into Day two!
At a quick glance, in no special order we have:
* OG - Forest Lamp
* OG - Dan Feeney
* OG/OT Cam Robinson
* OLB - Zach Cunningham
* CB Rasul Douglas
* FS - Bubba Baker
AND WR's
* Cooper Kupp
* Zay Jones
* Chris Godwin
* JuJu Smith-Schuster
* Curtis Samual
ALL these Players and more to choose from and more!! The Rams are sitting pretty!!

Edit!! I forgot!! We also have our pick at " Center" their all still there!!

Last edited:

jap

Legend
Johnny Hekker: "I got news for you: recent & not-so-recent history shows the Horns can find impact talent after the draft. Does anyone remember I was undrafted?"

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
King, Awuzie, Jones....the pick has to be a corner....Or an OLB/DE....Or Lamp.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
If the rams don't pick one of these guys...

Hingle McCringleberry
D'Isiah T. Billings-Clyde
Quisperny G'Dunzoid Sr.
Xmus Jackson Flaxon-Waxon

... the draft has been a failure.