Receiver help needed but not apparent for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Receiver help needed but not apparent for Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/27236/receiver-help-needed-but-not-apparent-for-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The free-agent market is scheduled to open March 9, and teams may begin negotiations with those poised to hit the market beginning on March 7. We'll count down to that with a position-by-position look at what the Los Angeles Rams have in place, who is set to hit the market, what they might need, and who might fit the bill.

Position: Wide receiver

Under contract: Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Bradley Marquez, Nick Toon, Isiah Ferguson, Kain Colter

Pending free agents: Brian Quick, Wes Welker

What's needed: Once again, the Rams still have a pressing need for a big-time playmaker who would qualify as a true No. 1 type of receiver. They haven't had a 1,000-yard wideout since Torry Holt in 2007, let alone one who has hit 800 receiving yards in a season. In 2015, Rams receivers posted 137 catches for 1,635 yards and eight touchdowns. By way of comparison, Atlanta's Julio Jones finished with 136 catches for 1,871 yards and eight touchdowns. In a perfect world, the Rams could add a receiver of Jones' caliber to help their ailing passing game, but they'd probably settle for a slightly lesser version if they can find one.

It's unlikely Welker will be brought back, though the Rams could give Quick another go if they can get him at a reasonable price (which is doable). Meanwhile, Britt is entering the last year of his contract and the Rams will have to decide whether to use the fifth-year option on Austin, who they want to keep but probably not at the cost of the option. Bailey's status remains up in the air after he was shot twice in the head in November, but the Rams can't really count on his return at this point. So depending on what happens with Quick, the Rams will need not only a top receiver option but some depth as well, which means that they'll probably add more than one receiver to the mix this offseason.

Possible fits: Let's face it, only one receiver that was poised to hit free agency would qualify as a No. 1-caliber wideout. That's Chicago's Alshon Jeffery but, as expected, the Bears didn't let him hit the open market. Chicago placed the franchise tag on Jeffery, so any team that signs him would have to give up two first-round picks to land him if the Bears don't match the offer. Suffice it to say, the Rams won't be doing that. Among the wideouts who will be available when free agency opens, the most appealing names are Seattle's Jermaine Kearse, Cincinnati's Marvin Jones and Cleveland's Travis Benjamin. None would qualify as a No. 1 wideout, but any of them could help bolster the Rams' receiver group. That said, it seems unlikely the Rams would be willing to spend a sizable chunk of money on an average wideout who might only be a marginal upgrade over what they already have. Instead, it's probably a better bet that they'll get Quick back on a prove-it deal and look to the draft to find a real difference maker.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Under contract: Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Bradley Marquez, Nick Toon, Isiah Ferguson, Kain Colter

No way you can read that and think the Rams are anything other than DESPERATE. And desperation is what FA is for. Rams absolutely will overpay for a veteran who can upgrade them.

And I think they go after a TE too, with focus on pass catching. Fleener's the guy I'd like to see them add.

jap

Legend
I don't know if they are desperate for the current available FA WRs. They may consider trading for someone special.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
No way you can read that and think the Rams are anything other than DESPERATE. And desperation is what FA is for. Rams absolutely will overpay for a veteran who can upgrade them.

And I think they go after a TE too, with focus on pass catching. Fleener's the guy I'd like to see them add.

It seems like the Rams have gotten over there desperate outside FA phase, so I am not so sure about that. Rams were desperate for OL last year and all they did was sign Garret Reynolds to a small contract.

Im not the biggest Fleener fan he has inconsistent hands and I have had my fill of TEs with bad hands. I like Ladarius Green he has upside after being stuck behind Antonio Gates. He could pay off like Delanie Walker did after getting stuck behind Vernon Davis.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

I would prefer Allen who is also FA from the colts. Much better blacker and just as good a receiver. Fleecer is in Cook's category in terms of blocking AND drops.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Im not the biggest Fleener fan he has inconsistent hands and I have had my fill of TEs with bad hands. I like Ladarius Green he has upside after being stuck behind Antonio Gates. He could pay off like Delanie Walker did after getting stuck behind Vernon Davis.

Totally agree about L. Green. My priorities would be Green then Allen. No way I spend money on Fleener.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally agree about L. Green. My priorities would be Green then Allen. No way I spend money on Fleener.

Yeah Green is definitely on the list but he has a very small sample size. Allen is more of what we already have: blockers who are not dynamic receivers.

Fleener has pass catching talent, you gotta look at 2014 when the offense was rolling very nicely. That season on 53 targets he dropped 1 ball. Dude has the type of size and athleticism you don't get with the blocking types. And for reference that same season our all star Cook had 8 drops in 59 catchable passes. That 2015 season means you can buy low on Fleener too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know if they are desperate for the current available FA WRs. They may consider trading for someone special.

Trading for someone obviously would change the equation jap. But barring that, I don't see any other way to label their WR corps than to call it desperate.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
It has been mentioned by almost every fan that knows what he/she is talking about, just about every NFL analyst, that the Rams have not had a wR that can "create separation' in their routes consistently" .. AND by Les Snead himself that we drop too many balls. Yes it is a combo of the two (QB & WR) but until we get guys who can RUN ROUTES and GET OPEN .. and CATCH the ball, we will only be wasting any QB talent we bring in.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Maybe we could sign someone like Travis Benjamin and draft Treadwell and then our group isn't looking so dim.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
From everything I have read there will be quite a few disappointed fans after FA is over and we didn't sign a big FA. I think all the money is going to be used to sign our own players.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Aside from the guys under contract and the SB giant question mark
Benjamin and Roddy White at a fair price with a rook might shore this thing up. I think only TA and KB are certain returns. That would be a nice 4. Welker could be a nice 3rd down and situational guy for a season also

jap

Legend
Trading for someone obviously would change the equation jap. But barring that, I don't see any other way to label their WR corps than to call it desperate.

It doesn't matter to me whether you label them desperate or not. My point was I doubt they are desperate for the current FA WR's. They need difference makers, and none are available among the present FA bunch. So trading, waiting for high profile cuts, or drafting are the only options left.

Last edited:

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Sign some veteran leadership.. BOLDIN!

Then focus on getting Wentz. If for some reason we can't land Wentz, then go after a guy like Treadwell and boom our offense is much better. Then target an above qb option via trade or later in draft.

Will we trade for Wentz and if not, would Treadwell still be available?

Ahhh I love draft season!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesn't matter to me whether you label them desperate or not. My point was I doubt they are desperate for the current FA WR's. They need difference makers, and none are available among the present FA bunch. So trading, waiting for high profile cuts, or drafting are the only options left.

There are multiple wideouts in this FA class who are upgrades. Jones is not a "true #1" but he is better than anything the Rams have.

I expect them to go hard after a wideout in FA because they don't have a choice.