Receiver Competition Begins Immediately at Rams OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jonathan Webb

With the opening of organized team activities underway, the Rams’ coaching staff has gotten an early look at competition among a position that team personnel has displayed a significant amount of confidence in throughout the offseason.

Aside from the free agent acquisition of Kenny Britt, the personnel at wide receiver has remained largely intact from the conclusion of the 2013 season, as the Rams elected against delving into either the free-agent market or the draft in search of another premier wideout. With the draft pickups of Tavon Austin andStedman Bailey of a year ago, the Rams’ brass felt comfortable moving forward with the group in-house, given their steady development throughout the 2013 season.

temp_SR16191--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

The team’s decision to essentially stand pat has allowed the current receiver group to build valuable chemistry entering their second—and in some case, third—year together. Third-year receiverChris Givens believes the extra year of familiarity has bred further competition among the position group, and in turn, could translate into a step forward in production.

“We’ve got some guys that are in their third year in the system, and you’ve got some other young guys with some great talent,” Givens said. “You put that together, we have a great nucleus here, and I’m just doing my best to lead these guys.”

While Givens looks to take on an enhanced role within the Rams’ offensive scheme in 2014, the position’s collective youth and inexperience allows for opportunity for those who may currently find themselves a few notches below on the depth chart.

With Bailey unavailable for the season’s first four games, an opportunity exists for Britt, as well as veteranAustin Pettis and others, to not only crack the Week 1 roster, but make an impact early on. Now healthy after an injury-plagued 2013, Britt has been reunited with Head Coach Jeff Fisher, who coached Britt during his two most productive NFL seasons, in 2009 and 2010. Also seeking a breakout year in his third NFL season isBrian Quick, who has shown flashes of brilliance, but still looks to deliver on the promise that came with his 33rd overall selection in 2012.

The success of the group’s members will undoubtedly be influenced by the performance of QBSam Bradford, who was off to a career-best start to the 2013 season before suffering a torn ACL at Carolina in Week 7.

The Rams’ receiver group was undoubtedly affected by the loss of Bradford, who after an offseason of rehab and two days of participation in OTAs, appears all but certain to be available for the season opener against Minnesota. In Bradford’s seven starts in 2013, Rams receivers averaged 23 receptions for 244 yards per game. In nine starts by then-backup Kellen Clemens, those figures dropped to 16 and 184, respectively.

No receiver may figure to benefit from Bradford’s return more than Givens, who blossomed as a rookie with Bradford in 2012, finishing with 698 yards on 42 receptions while becoming Bradford’s favorite deep threat. His production dropped precipitously during the second half of last year, collecting just eight receptions over the Rams’ final eight games. Reunited with his quarterback for 2014, Givens is eager to prove 2013 was merely an outlier, as part of a receiving corps that seeks to become a known quantity.

“To be back around the guys and get some competing in, I’m just excited about what we’ll accomplish,” Givens said following Day 1 of OTAs. “We have a lot of talent here.”

Athos

Legend
Let's hope they finally start living up to their alleged talent.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Let's hope they finally start living up to their alleged talent.
While I wouldn't phrase it quite like that since I do think this group has talent, I have to think that if this unit underperforms again this next year, it's going to be top priority in the next draft (although if both Long and Barksdale leave, some might want another tackle to complement Robinson.)

If this unit does perform, then I'm happy, despite having looked like a jerk in front of millions of people, and bringing shame and disgrace upon my family name for generations to come.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
While I wouldn't phrase it quite like that since I do think this group has talent, I have to think that if this unit underperforms again this next year, it's going to be top priority in the next draft (although if both Long and Barksdale leave, some might want another tackle to complement Robinson.)

If this unit does perform, then I'm happy, despite having looked like a jerk in front of millions of people, and bringing shame and disgrace upon my family name for generations to come.

Long is under contract. If he's gone won't be by his decision.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Golden opportunity for the guy in the center to let out a silencer and walk away.:sneaky:

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Long is under contract. If he's gone won't be by his decision.
The way Long's contract is written, his entire salary this year is guaranteed, but next year he can be cut with less than 3 million in dead money.

Unless he's absolutely stellar (and healthy) this year, the Rams will feel some pressure to make the move, especially with another LT already on the roster.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Right. But usually when people talk of a player leaving it's on their own accord.

Anyway, unless he has major injury issues this year, I don't see him playing anywhere else in 2015.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Right. But usually when people talk of a player leaving it's on their own accord.

Anyway, unless he has major injury issues this year, I don't see him playing anywhere else in 2015.
I agree, I see him finishing out his career at RT. Whether that is here or not remains to be seen but I don't think he is going anywhere too soon.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm not sure Chris Givens is the guy I want "leading these guys".
He has a long way to go himself.