Really nice Dotson breakdown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYI0lwoD4-8

This is a real nice breakdown of Dotson in the run game. Keep an eye on Shelton and you can see why they want him back. As much as anything, it shows how well they are being coached by Wendell.

Wendell was IMO a key hire in terms of the Ram's success.

This is a great vid. Loved every minute of it. Dotson is playing an incredibly high level and he's going to get paid.
And hopefully it's by US!!!

Thanks for sharing it!!

~ArkyRamsFan~

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Been quite a while since we heard/saw good things from the interior OL. Dotson should be a priority to be signed for a multi year deal. Get it done Kev!

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYI0lwoD4-8

This is a real nice breakdown of Dotson in the run game. Keep an eye on Shelton and you can see why they want him back. As much as anything, it shows how well they are being coached by Wendell.

Wendell was IMO a key hire in terms of the Ram's success.

I enjoyed the video, one of the guys has a major league potty mouth though.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Rams are serious about making arun at a SB. They need to sign both Shelton, Dotson and AJackson. These guys have developed some real continuity. This is not the time to cut corners or try and save a few mil cap $$. They have a short window, 3 years at most before Stafford, Kupp and Donald are done.

Lock up this Ol for at least next 2 years.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Saffold says….
Don’t make the same mistake again.

Just pay the guy.
FFS - you have a proven guy - why you want to fuck with him?

TexasRam

Legend
Definitely would work hard to Sign Dotson.

Avila was just as good in my book overall. PFF really screwed the pooch on the Avila grades.

Avila has room to grow in the run game but as a pass protector was a rookie phenom.

But yea, get Dotson in the fold then pass rusher, then CB.

Psycho_X

Legend
#1 priority, get er done. In a pretty good spot to offer him a good contract with no other olineman on a premium contract. Resign Dotson and as his contract is close to ending replace it with Avila being extended as his rookie contract ends.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Avila was just as good in my book overall. PFF really screwed the pooch on the Avila grades.

As I have said they really don't know what they are looking at or understand NFL concepts. They are worthless IMO in passing judgement not only on OL but a raft of other positions as well. Anyone who seriously relies upon their grading needs to think again. Unless it's obvious then they more than not miss it.

Also, if you watch Shelton you can see why they want him back. He's able to take on bigger DL than Allen and can move and make blocks on the second level. He's mobile and with continued good coaching from Wendell is only going to get better. He's not nearly as bad as some contend

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
They bring a big picture on Dotson

He reminds me off a Larry Allen type(Dotson)

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I’m a bit surprised and a little concerned there’s been no mention from Snead about the importance of resigning Dotson. Really hoping we don’t let him move on somewhere else.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think they will make a REALISTIC attempt to bring him back but they simply can't afford to bust the cap to resign one player. I think those days are over at least for the time being. They still have a lot of needs. The Rams are in the process of building something sustainable.

My personal feelings are if they are willing to go to $15M they can get it done. Basically, they are saying they will pay Dotson that kind of money but how do they now fit Havenstein's $14.7 M cap hit for this year at the same time? Paying close to $30M is unrealistic for just the right side of the OL. I've made it clear I don't think Rob is worth that kind of money. On the other hand, Dotson is. It would be a shame to keep Havenstein on that cap hit for one year when they could spend that kind of money to secure RG for 4 more years.

I think $9M/ yr is realistic for Shelton so between the two they won't have the cap. Don't forget they will need about $11M to sign the draft class and another $5M of contingency cap to start the season. Again I see them restructuring Noteboom's cap to something realistic. But will that be enough? Right now they don't realistically have a true swing OT which Joe provides.

I see their realistic offer to be around $10M/year but they might be able to keep Kevin at that number with a bigger percentage of the contract being guaranteed. That is a tough call to make for an OL player where injuries are the norm. I simply don't see keeping Dotson as being in the cards. The Rams can't afford to lose both Shelton and Dotson. Of the two Shelton is the most likely to be extended IMO.

Regardless I see them drafting at least one OT to give them an option at LT next year and avoid this whole situation again a year from now. They seem to like the developmental progress of McClendon so the question is can he start at RG? If he can and plays well then we will truly see the impact of Wendell on this offense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My personal feelings are if they are willing to go to $15M they can get it done. Basically, they are saying they will pay Dotson that kind of money but how do they now fit Havenstein's $14.7 M cap hit for this year at the same time? Paying close to $30M is unrealistic for just the right side of the OL. I've made it clear I don't think Rob is worth that kind of money. On the other hand, Dotson is. It would be a shame to keep Havenstein on that cap hit for one year when they could spend that kind of money to secure RG for 4 more years.
You dont understand how it works.
Cap hit and AAV are 2 different things. Dotson could sign for 17 mill per season and still have his cap hit being under 10 mill in '24.
Your fascination with Hav is disturbing, and cutting him makes no sense. Cutting or trading him only saves approx 2 mill prior to 3/17. A post June 1 cut does not help as that cap relief wouldnt be available until June 1, long after FA. Furthermore, with LT Jackson costing only 5-6 mill, a 15 mill cap hit for RT is reasonable, carrying both at 20 mill is extremely cost effective

oldnotdead

Legend
I understand they can backload his contract to get under the cap this year. But having that kind of money allocated for a RG might not be what they want long term. They manipulated Noteboom's contract to fit him under where they wanted and look where it got them. I look at the Rams historically how they manage their cap. Like most teams they allocate a certain percentage of their cap to the OL. So if they spend big at RG somewhere else needs to be filled on the cheap.

It's why I don't expect them to pay Jackson the kind of money he's looking for. They will tender him and play him as an affordable option this year. Then see him as a comp pick after that. That's why I expect them to draft a LT this year. So do they simply let him ride the bench or do they play him to season him to make the transition to LT next year? If they play him it will be at RT.

My problem with Havenstein is his play. This is a pass heavy offense and pass protection has always been his weakness. Havenstein has always been a run blocking type of RT which is what "old school" RTs were. That was fine when they had Gurley as their RB and the offense was more run heavy. But now the run game is designed to open up the passing game with an inside run attack. This is a different offense than Sean ran with Gurley which was a perimeter run game.

They are overpaying Havenstein simply because they needed stability on the OL and the rest of the OL was a mess. But now this OL is much better and I would prefer to allocate those cap dollars to someone like Dotson. This is the financial reality we are talking about. Who is worth more a top run blocking RG for a run game that is designed to run inside or a limited RT who is fine in run blocking but struggles to pass protect?

All I'm saying is that there will be consequences if they pay Dotson top dollar while also paying Shelton a competitive salary as well. Those cap dollars have to come from somewhere. So next year if Jackson plays well do they pay him top dollar as well? LT is going to cost a hell of a lot more than RG. Whitworth played for a discount. Look at what his average was and compare it to what they are going to pay Havenstein just this year. IMO Havenstein is no Whitworth.

Cap management will come down to planning.

LT: Play Jackson on a second round tender. Draft their LT of the future on the second day and start him in 2025. That buys 4 years of rookie contract at the position.

LG: Avila will be on his rookie contract for 3 more years.

C: Offer Shelton what they were going to pay Brian Allen, i.e. about $9M/yr.

RG: Try to resign Dotson for no more than $15M/yr. If they can't they start McClendon or Noteboom whose contract is restructured to pay him $4-$5M / year. If Joe starts he's a bridge player for McClendon or a drafted RG.

RT: If they can sign Dotson for $15M / yr then release Havenstein as a post June 1 transaction. Start rookie OT they draft on the second day who will move to LT in 2025. If Dotson isn't signed and McClendon starts at RG then Noteboom can be the bridge RT until the rookie can play.

Restructuring Noteboom and releasing Havenstein could clear between $18-$20M in cap. Now they have the space to sign their RFA, Witherspoon and their draft class.

This isn't just about Dotson, it's about the entire roster. Look at the RFA they probably want to extend, $11 M projected cost for the draft class, $5M for Robinson, and a minimum of $5M of cap space to start the season. That money has to come from somewhere and as much as $41M free cap seems it won't stretch as far as some people think. Extending Dotson and Shelton could eat up over half of it for just those two players.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand they can backload his contract to get under the cap this year.
You clearly dont.
Contracts are "backloaded" to afford signing bonus up front. And the last year or so is not guaranteed.
Havenstein is an affordable deal, Avila is an affordable deal, Alaric is an affordable deal. They havent broken the bank on an olineman in years. You pay a QB 50 million, you cant pay an oline peanuts to protect him
Restructuring Noteboom and releasing Havenstein could clear between $18-$20M in cap. Now they have the space to sign their RFA, Witherspoon and their draft class.
Again, you are wrong
Releasing Havenstein saves 2 mill, and you cant simply restructure Noteboom because he's on the last year of a deal, there's nothing to restructure with