Reading Between the Lines on Day 2 Comments

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So first off I thought it was interesting that McVay gave up some good nuggets that tell us and infer quite a few things in his press conference. The first being that they went after "guys who love the game." And looking at each of them they are good character guys not one of them is an a$$hat. I am very happy about that.

McVay also specifically mentioned Rapp's ability to make a difference up by the LOS, his tackling and instinctive play in run support, and alluded to him sometimes playing a LB role. This tells us that some of you who wondered whether they might get after a safety to "convert" to LB were pretty close to the truth, maybe not exact but they did indeed covet tackling ability and it definitely relates directly to personnel package flexibility where he might give us a more sure tackler than Barron while also providing a more dangerous pass defense in his drops. Evero called him "the kind of player we want in this organization" and went on to spell it out: "smart, great athlete, plays hard, he's gonna be a great teammate, great leadership skills."

The press surprised me in how they didn't hound the two of them on the RB and Gurley thing as much as I expected them to. But it was Coach who alluded to the importance of resting players and number of snaps while not losing potency in the offense, and while he didn't specifically mention Gurley it's clear that's why this dude was drafted. Todd's snaps are going to go down during this season I think. Also our RB coach specifically mentioned Henderson's power and ability to plant his foot and get through traffic, so really I feel like while they did want a change of pace this was a bit of a sales job where they went and got a guy they believe can get the job done if the worst happens. Definite insurance pick to allow for maintaining the same offense in the event they don't have TG.

Re: David Long we heard McVay mention his ability to press and cancel routes by having good coverage skills. I am sure they targeted him, that he's not some guy they settled on, but I also suspect that Deandre Baker in round 1 was one of their early targets, probably along with a couple of the obvious DL types. Snead telling the story of how they met also allows us to infer how important his character was, that he was such a great kid and whatnot.

First thing out of Kromer's mouth irt Bobby Evans was that they had history with him with Zach working there for four years. He clearly likes what the kid has on the field, his flexibility, so you can see they envision him as the next piece in the pipeline. What we can clearly infer from all this is that the Rams are serious about "getting young on the OL" as McVay I believe it was had mentioned a while back, and that they also truly do love their two young second year starters. Ain't no doubt about it now.

Lastly I think what we are seeing is a reaffirmation of "We Not Me." Veteran players who do not live by that are not going to be around for the long term and we can probably predict some obvious future decisions with some accuracy.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last year we drafted two OL, ILB, DE and DT that as of right now - would be starting players.

Projecting ahead to next year, we drafted a S, CB and OL that will most likely step into starting roles. I think this pretty much confirms that their plan is to mostly redshirt or have them contribute in sub packages (like Rapp will this year I'm sure).

I'm assuming their plan will be to re-sign Peters before the year so that the franchise tag is available for Fowler next year.

Most pressing need now is ILB (no backups behind Littleton/Kiser). After that, I think our roster is nearly set so they can take a shot on someone. I would not be surprised to see a trade up for David Long Jr., with the other pick being another OL.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Didn’t we draft David Long already?

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
All I know is that intuitively I like how the front office and coaching staff are operating.

Realistically not all picks will work out. However none of these are “projects” or projected starters based on hope. These guys will contribute. Even in the later rounds, I expect they’ll continue to look for guys that need polish vs guys that measure well but lack fundamentals, knowledge, and passion.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Last year we drafted two OL, ILB, DE and DT that as of right now - would be starting players.

Projecting ahead to next year, we drafted a S, CB and OL that will most likely step into starting roles. I think this pretty much confirms that their plan is to mostly redshirt or have them contribute in sub packages (like Rapp will this year I'm sure).

I'm assuming their plan will be to re-sign Peters before the year so that the franchise tag is available for Fowler next year.

Most pressing need now is ILB (no backups behind Littleton/Kiser). After that, I think our roster is nearly set so they can take a shot on someone. I would not be surprised to see a trade up for David Long Jr., with the other pick being another OL.
I thought we picked up a guy in free agency that has been playing a hi percentage of ILB the last few years.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Just waiting for Simms to walk back all that praise now that the Rams chose him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I read things the other way Frantik: they will let Peters ball out in his final season of control, let him go in FA and scoop the round 3 comp pick.

In the post-draft interviews with McVay, Snead, and the positional coaches every one of those guys had a front office or coaching staff connection where the Rams had good inside information on them, or "knew a lot about them." This, IMO, was a "We Not Me" draft. Not one questionable dude, I mean they had ample opportunity to take a flyer on a guy like Polite for example but it seems like they went high character and intelligence with each of them with inside vetting.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I don’t see the Rams investing gigantic money in Peters, he has too many knucklehead tendencies.

I see David Long as Peters’ replacement.

You feel me?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Lastly I think what we are seeing is a reaffirmation of "We Not Me." Veteran players who do not live by that are not going to be around for the long term and we can probably predict some obvious future decisions with some accuracy.

Who would that be in your mind? I thought all of the me guys were gone.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Yeah, I don’t see the Rams investing gigantic money in Peters, he has too many knucklehead tendencies.

I see David Long as Peters’ replacement.

You feel me?

I feel like another year of Talib will change Peters for the better. Make him more mentally tough.

Then it will be Peters + Long