Re-draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
I was impressed with the final drive of the Colts as well, but far more because Reggie Wayne was tearing it up than Luck was so great. He was good, don't get me wrong, but Wayne made some unreal catches.

You're on point there.

Luck should get some credit for that win, but the real catalyst behind the offenses production was Reggie Wayne. He was playing out of his mind.

had

Rookie
X said:
Just for shiggs & gittles. What if the Rams held the #1 in 2010 and instead of it being Bradford McCoy & Clausen, the QBs were Bradford, Luck & Griffin. Who do you take & why?

I'm off topic here, but I need to get into the 6th round, so, if I recall, Eric Berry was available in 2010. That would have been my pick.

And then I suck at being a GM.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
had said:
X said:
Just for shiggs & gittles. What if the Rams held the #1 in 2010 and instead of it being Bradford McCoy & Clausen, the QBs were Bradford, Luck & Griffin. Who do you take & why?

I'm off topic here, but I need to get into the 6th round, so, if I recall, Eric Berry was available in 2010. That would have been my pick.

And then I suck at being a GM.

Eric Berry was drafted 5th overall in 2010

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Faceplant said:
Probably Luck. He is far more athletic than people give him credit for. He is also extremely bright and seems to have that ability to will his team. I was extremely impressed with that last drive on Sunday. Also, he is built like a tank, which should help him endure the rigors of the NFL better. He is one ugly mofo tho. Funny that everbody's darling of 2011 (Cam) is getting no love, haha.

Cuz Cam didn't do anything but get stats in 10 losses.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
Faceplant said:
Probably Luck. He is far more athletic than people give him credit for. He is also extremely bright and seems to have that ability to will his team. I was extremely impressed with that last drive on Sunday. Also, he is built like a tank, which should help him endure the rigors of the NFL better. He is one ugly mofo tho. Funny that everbody's darling of 2011 (Cam) is getting no love, haha.

Herm Edwards was just on talking about Newton. He said (paraphrasing), "There was no camp, so they gave him a very small, specific set of plays and tailored the offense around what he could do and he took the league by storm. Now they've got the time, so they gave him more ... and now defenses are able to game plan for him. They're not running the ball as well, defenses are making him throw the ball, coverages are better, etc... " He also made mention of his pouty nature on the sidelines and his dumb TD celebrations while the team is losing.

Yep, the league has caught up to Newton. But more importantly, it illustrates how a QB can't do everything by himself + a QB's demeanor and professionalism affects the rest of the team.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
Angry Ram said:
Faceplant said:

Herm Edwards was just on talking about Newton. He said (paraphrasing), "There was no camp, so they gave him a very small, specific set of plays and tailored the offense around what he could do and he took the league by storm. Now they've got the time, so they gave him more ... and now defenses are able to game plan for him. They're not running the ball as well, defenses are making him throw the ball, coverages are better, etc... " He also made mention of his pouty nature on the sidelines and his dumb TD celebrations while the team is losing.

Yep, the league has caught up to Newton. But more importantly, it illustrates how a QB can't do everything by himself + a QB's demeanor and professionalism affects the rest of the team.
I was wondering WHEN someone would get around to Cams "Superman" celebrations.
A HUGE part of why Vince Young never really made it is the "I'm a superstar" ego /diva problems .IMO Cam and Young both behave in a way you TOLERATE from a WR ,it doesn't play well in a QB.
Rogers has his champions belt thing, but everyone knows that means "GB CHampions" Cam is all about Cam and neeeds to figure out a QB needs to spend his time after TD's passing out praise, NOT hogging the spotlight.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
OOOOOH

Was thinking about this the other day.
To me there's two ways to look at a re-draft. Based on what they have done as a pro or as if they were all actually in the same draft and basing the choice on college only.

Out of college it would have been Luck no doubt. Just a more sure prospect. In reality I think he would have been the choice of all teams if they had the first pick.

After seeing them as a pro....Still Luck but by a very slim margin. He has better touch on his throws is the only advantage he really has. Bradford Is better in a number of areas. Don't think you could go wrong with either one.
And if Wayne makes Luck better what does Steven Jackson do for Bradford.
RGIII was never in play.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
X said:
Angry Ram said:
Faceplant said:

A big reason why I dont think that is a big issue is because Cam fought through adversity throughout that championship season at Auburn. Last year people gushed about him because nobody expected him to look that good early on, and they were just coming off a 1-15 season, now the expectations have been raised, and the team is still a work in progress.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JdashSTL said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:
Faceplant said:

A big reason why I dont think that is a big issue is because Cam fought through adversity throughout that championship season at Auburn. Last year people gushed about him because nobody expected him to look that good early on, and they were just coming off a 1-15 season, now the expectations have been raised, and the team is still a work in progress.
I'll admit I don't watch much (any) Panthers football, but there are a few analysts & radio personalities who are making a big deal out of his (for lack of a better word) behavior. Sulking, putting that towel over his head, celebrating with no reason to celebrate, and stuff like that. He says all the right things in the press conferences, so I really don't know what to think. Really hard for me to care though too.

He's a prime example of how it takes more than a QB to succeed though, so I'm grateful for THAT.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
X said:
JdashSTL said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:
Faceplant said:

I'll admit I don't watch much (any) Panthers football, but there are a few analysts & radio personalities who are making a big deal out of his (for lack of a better word) behavior. Sulking, putting that towel over his head, celebrating with no reason to celebrate, and stuff like that. He says all the right things in the press conferences, so I really don't know what to think. Really hard for me to care though too.

He's a prime example of how it takes more than a QB to succeed though, so I'm grateful for THAT.

Well thats just another case of the QB taking most of the blame when things are going poorly, and I hate that because there are multiple things to point to instead of dissecting the QBs behavior/attitude.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JdashSTL said:
Well thats just another case of the QB taking most of the blame when things are going poorly, and I hate that because there are multiple things to point to instead of dissecting the QBs behavior/attitude.
I agree. I don't care how he carries himself, and he shouldn't either. The only time it becomes a problem is if/when the rest of the team loses faith in him. And I don't think that's happened yet. His dropoff in production can be attributed to more than just him for sure. You saw some of the points that Edwards made in the thread here. Do you see any of that other stuff?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
X said:
JdashSTL said:
I agree. I don't care how he carries himself, and he shouldn't either. The only time it becomes a problem is if/when the rest of the team loses faith in him. And I don't think that's happened yet. His dropoff in production can be attributed to more than just him for sure. You saw some of the points that Edwards made in the thread here. Do you see any of that other stuff?

When you look at the 3 losses in a row they played the Falcons (probably should have won here), Giants, and Seahawks. All 3 of them are good defenses, and its not gonna get much easier when they play the Cowboys and Bears next. When you go 1-15, your most likely gonna get an easier schedule the next year, and when they went 6-10, that schedule was gonna get a little tougher. I know its still early in the season, but I think you can compare them to us a little bit the last 2 years.

I think it is fair to say that the league has caught up to Newton, but thats also something that the OC needs to adjust to, and Chudzinski hasnt shown a track record of sustained success. Maybe Newton is slowly progressing when it comes to reading defenses so they still have to be creative. Thats an issue that takes patience from everyone. The offense has talent around him to make it work.

Their defense is just not that good. They really needed an upgrade at DT but didnt address that need early in the draft. Kuechly is a talented LB but how are he and Beason supposed to be playmakers when the defensive line has issues (other than Charles Johnson)? You have a defensive-minded HC but this has probaly been the weakest part of the team sinces hes been there.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
JdashSTL said:
X said:
JdashSTL said:

When you look at the 3 losses in a row they played the Falcons (probably should have won here), Giants, and Seahawks. All 3 of them are good defenses, and its not gonna get much easier when they play the Cowboys and Bears next. When you go 1-15, your most likely gonna get an easier schedule the next year, and when they went 6-10, that schedule was gonna get a little tougher. I know its still early in the season, but I think you can compare them to us a little bit the last 2 years.

I think it is fair to say that the league has caught up to Newton, but thats also something that the OC needs to adjust to, and Chudzinski hasnt shown a track record of sustained success. Maybe Newton is slowly progressing when it comes to reading defenses so they still have to be creative. Thats an issue that takes patience from everyone. The offense has talent around him to make it work.

Their defense is just not that good. They really needed an upgrade at DT but didnt address that need early in the draft. Kuechly is a talented LB but how are he and Beason supposed to be playmakers when the defensive line has issues (other than Charles Johnson)? You have a defensive-minded HC but this has probaly been the weakest part of the team sinces hes been there.

Well stated. The sophmore slump is not just a cliche, for many reasons that have already been listed. Yes, Cam only won 6 games last year, one fewer than Sam in his rookie year. He put up a lot of eye popping #'s that people wabt to dismiss as "junk time" stats, which is partly true, however he made a hell of a lot of plays with his arm AND his legs as well. I have never been a Cam jocker, but I watched him play quite a bit last year and he was impressive. I think he will be a better than avg QB in this league when all is written.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
X said:
Faceplant said:
Piggy-backing on your post (not addressing it), I think that whole "Passing League" stuff is beginning to phase out. There are a lot of good defenses out there now, including our own, who can put the kibosh on the passing game. Teams have figured out how to make Newton play to his weaknesses, and pretty soon they'll figure out how to make RGIII do the same. Stafford had 5000 yards last year and now he looks like he'll have significantly less.

Don't get me wrong ... guys like Brees, Manning, Brady, Eli, etc., will still be able to sling the ball around, but this is the NFL, and trends come & go. Right now we seem to be trending towards putting more of an emphasis on defense and a balanced offense. Anyone else see it that way?

God I'd love to see the return of good ol' defense wins Championships. Too often games end up looking like DII college games and it's kinda boring to me. I like to see some good smash mouth games under 20 points. Funny if it does turn out that way, the Rams ride the wave both ways. Instituting the first wave of air-it-out offense with the GSOT and now a hard hitting defense with an emphasis on running more.