RB Depth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
So I think it is safe to say we have found the lead back we needed.

But now the question is, do we have a good no.2?

Is Richardson really the answer?

I really though Pead would emerge, but it just doesn't look like he will.

Cunningham is a try hard guy that doesn't really have anything that stands out.

IMO...we've got 2 guys that are good 3rd stringers...an Pead is pretty blahhhh.

I think we need to draft another RB in the mid to late rounds to be the top reserve...and keep Richardson or Cunningham as the 3rd guy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not ready to write off Richardson. A bad foot to an RB is like a bad hand to a QB.
Cunningham still has good skills despite his fumble. I think they'll work him in more as the season wears on.
Pead appears to be firmly planted in the dog house. He might even get cut if Fisher is pissed off enough.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not ready to write off Richardson. A bad foot to an RB is like a bad hand to a QB.
Cunningham still has good skills despite his fumble. I think they'll work him in more as the season wears on.
Pead appears to be firmly planted in the dog house. He might even get cut if Fisher is pissed off enough.

It's not that I'm writing Richardson or Cunningham off...it's just that even when healthy Richardson hasn't ever really shown anything extraordinary. He can fill a role, but he just leaves a lot to be desired. He doesn't seem to have the ability to grind out yards and though his best asset is he is fast, he isn't like blazing fast to the point that once he hits a hole he's gone.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Not being facetious, but I just don't see how your backup, especially to your power running game can be extraordinary.

From what I saw of Cunningham in the preseason he seemed the smoothest of the backs, very fluid in hitting the holes, patient and probably the best vision.

Fumbles I don't see as a long term problem unless the back proves them to be chronic. Think of it really, after what basically cost the game, does anyone think he'll make that mistake again?

Richardson I wouldn't write off either, he could very well be the perfect change of pace back.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm takin the Yogi Berra tac on Pead, when Fish cuts him ,I'll give up on him

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Not being facetious, but I just don't see how your backup, especially to your power running game can be extraordinary.

From what I saw of Cunningham in the preseason he seemed the smoothest of the backs, very fluid in hitting the holes, patient and probably the best vision.

Fumbles I don't see as a long term problem unless the back proves them to be chronic. Think of it really, after what basically cost the game, does anyone think he'll make that mistake again?

Richardson I wouldn't write off either, he could very well be the perfect change of pace back.

Well this is what I'm talking about. His speed should make him a perfect change of pace back...only he hasn't ever really broken off a big play to make this statement true. THAT is what I mean by he doesn't bring anything extraordinary. I'm not saying he needs to bring what Marshall Faulk or Barry Sanders did...but if he is going to be the lightning to Stacy's thunder, he needs to be able to rip off a 15-35 yard run once in a while. But it seems he is stopped at the line consistently. If he's the change of pace back he doesn't need to be a 1 or 2 yard grinder, he needs to be able to clip off a chunk of yards with his speed when the D is worn down from Stacy.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Well this is what I'm talking about. His speed should make him a perfect change of pace back...only he hasn't ever really broken off a big play to make this statement true. THAT is what I mean by he doesn't bring anything extraordinary. I'm not saying he needs to bring what Marshall Faulk or Barry Sanders did...but if he is going to be the lightning to Stacy's thunder, he needs to be able to rip off a 15-35 yard run once in a while. But it seems he is stopped at the line consistently. If he's the change of pace back he doesn't need to be a 1 or 2 yard grinder, he needs to be able to clip off a chunk of yards with his speed when the D is worn down from Stacy.
My bad, for some reason I thought you were talking about Cunningham to backup Stacy's power run game for which I think he seems perfectly fit given time to develop.

Regarding Richardson, I thought he'd hit a few 15 yarders last year running behind Jackson. I know for sure I've seem him run 12 and 13 carries just straight up the middle. He's a slasher, but anything beyond 15 is unrealistic. Pead and Austin are the only ones with that potential and so far they've only schemed to use Austin with unsuccessful screens due to bad blocking.

To me, if you can get the production they have out of Stacy and then back it up with a change up to Richardson who can also hurt teams up the middle, but more importantly include some outside runs, you have enough to spread it out effectively with a passing game.

jjab360

Legend
My bad, for some reason I thought you were talking about Cunningham to backup Stacy's power run game for which I think he seems perfectly fit given time to develop.

Regarding Richardson, I thought he'd hit a few 15 yarders last year running behind Jackson. I know for sure I've seem him run 12 and 13 carries just straight up the middle. He's a slasher, but anything beyond 15 is unrealistic. Pead and Austin are the only ones with that potential and so far they've only schemed to use Austin with unsuccessful screens due to bad blocking.

To me, if you can get the production they have out of Stacy and then back it up with a change up to Richardson who can also hurt teams up the middle, but more importantly include some outside runs, you have enough to spread it out effectively with a passing game.
Richardson had a couple 40 yard runs last year against the Redskins and Dolphins, and a 30 yard run against the Niners.

A55VA6

Legend
The thing with Richardson is he's good catching the ball too. He's just not healthy right now, but when he's healthy he's bee decent.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The thing with Richardson is he's good catching the ball too. He's just not healthy right now, but when he's healthy he's bee decent.
Bee decent? Sorry, but I'm looking for hornet awesome.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Like I said, not writing him off...but I'd really rather the Rams be proactive in the case he doesn't pan out to that legitimate no.2 runner than hopw the 7th rounder is the diamond in the rough he flashed in the past but hasn't shown consistently.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Zac Stacy + D'Anthony Thomas + Daryl Richardson = WIN.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Zac Stacy + D'Anthony Thomas + Daryl Richardson = WIN.

I don't see Thomas as a running back. I see him more as a slot receiver in the NFL in the Tavon Austin mold.

If Lache Seastrunk falls to the second round and we take him, I'll be very happy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't see Thomas as a running back. I see him more as a slot receiver in the NFL in the Tavon Austin mold.

If Lache Seastrunk falls to the second round and we take him, I'll be very happy.
We need more GIANTS, not more non-giants.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

That's what I don't get about people wanting Pead he had proved he is a chronic fumbles as well as just overly mentally unready for the nfl

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
As soon as we learn how to execute a screen pass, DRich and TA would be ripping off chunks of yardage. Seriously, how hard is it to accomplish without telegraphing it as soon as you hike the ball?