Ray Ray Armstrong

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Any news on him? I know we re-signed Dunbar and he will probably get the start, unless we draft a LB early (rounds 1-2).

Just wondering what everyones thinking is about him and if you think he could start eventually. Or if a early round LB is needed and such.

Alan

Legend
The cops haven't busted him for anything, he hasn't been cut or traded and he's not recovering from an injury so I'm not sure what other news you could expect about a player in the offseason. ;) I hear he's dating a hot babe if that helps any. :LOL:

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
The guys got a lot of potential and plays balls to the wall, But I get the feeling his not the sharpest may take him a while to get adjusted to playing LB in the NFL when he sat out an entire year and played satey before that.

A55VA6

Legend
Ray Ray has posted a lot of videos lately on Instagram of him working out and doing drills. He looks really good. I think eventually he'll have a chance to start in the next few years if he continues to improve, but he's mainly a standout special teams player and provides depth at LB behind Ogletree.

Another guy I like is Darren Bates. I think we're fine at LB, but they can always draft one in the later rounds if they like one.

Last edited:

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I think ray ray will play a lot if not eventually take over the starting lb spot, if he can stop show boating after every bug hit he makes. He standsout on film when he is on the field but he may be a penalty magnet. Probably why he didn't get a lot of snaps at lb.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I actually really like Ray Ray alot and think he if continues putting in hard work he will get somewhere. He has the tools to succeed and like his play style except he does make some bone headed penalties at times. Plus he has a cool first name...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
His Instagram videos do give the appearance that he is really training hard. He seems to be a man on a mission.... a mission to play on more than just special teams.

…..

Legend
I'm still suspect of former Safeties playing Linebacker. Regardless of how good of shape they're in, they still get mowed over by guards.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I'm still suspect of former Safeties playing Linebacker. Regardless of how good of shape they're in, they still get mowed over by guards.

Id be curious to see how much bulk he has after 2 offseasons of being in the nfl. I think he was pushing 230 when we drafted him.

duckhunter

Starter
With 12 picks, they probably add a LB somewhere for competition and depth. So it would be wise for Ray Ray to be working out and improving his trade.

My choice would be if Christian Jones makes it to the 4th, he is an upgrade and adds immediate LB depth to all three positions. There's some interesting LBs in this draft.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick

Id be curious to see how much bulk he has after 2 offseasons of being in the nfl. I think he was pushing 230 when we drafted him.

I would be curious as well, I think he'd be a perfect coverage LB TBH on3rd downs and passing situations to say the least and a good WILL LB

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I just don't get the near "cult-hero" status for a guy who is the very definition of a "look at me" kind of player. He can't be on the field without calling attention to HIMSELF. While he and Bates manage to find ways to make a play on Special Teams once or twice a game, they were usually offset by making a huge mistake, or drawing a costly penalty.

First of all, regardless of what weight he is "listed" at, he is not big enough to be an every down OLB in the NFL. He still runs around blocks, and is too undisciplined (in both his overall play, and assignment integrity) to be counted on as more than a core Special Team player.

Unless and until he gets bigger, and learns how to take on blockers, I just don't see him being counted on as much more than that.

Athletic, of course. Undisciplined, absolutely!!!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just don't get the near "cult-hero" status for a guy who is the very definition of a "look at me" kind of player. He can't be on the field without calling attention to HIMSELF. While he and Bates manage to find ways to make a play on Special Teams once or twice a game, they were usually offset by making a huge mistake, or drawing a costly penalty.

First of all, regardless of what weight he is "listed" at, he is not big enough to be an every down OLB in the NFL. He still runs around blocks, and is too undisciplined (in both his overall play, and assignment integrity) to be counted on as more than a core Special Team player.

Unless and until he gets bigger, and learns how to take on blockers, I just don't see him being counted on as much more than that.

Not saying he should be a 3 down back, but being a SOLB and playing the first couple downs usually won't be to bad if he is capable of starting. Also seems like the penalties decreased as the year went along.

How is he not big enough?

Dunbar - 6'0 226 lbs
RayRay - 6'3 230lbs+

*Not saying he should start or anything, just trying to learn more about how he is doing and if he has that potential in him or not. Can't wait till camp so you can let us know what you see.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

Those coverage skills!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Those coverage skills!

Maybe I didn't see the same thing you did in that clip, but he seemed cleanly beaten on that play, and the receiver DROPPED the ball. Wasn't anything Armstrong did. Especially in PRACTICE!

And if you think he is going to play because of COVERAGE skills opposite of Ogletree, than I guess you think they don't need anyone on the field that can actually stop the run!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Not saying he should be a 3 down back, but being a SOLB and playing the first couple downs usually won't be to bad if he is capable of starting. Also seems like the penalties decreased as the year went along.

How is he not big enough?

Dunbar - 6'0 226 lbs
RayRay - 6'3 230lbs+

*Not saying he should start or anything, just trying to learn more about how he is doing and if he has that potential in him or not. Can't wait till camp so you can let us know what you see.

Armstrong is/was no where near 230+ last year. If you line him up side by side with Ogletree, who is considered "undersized" by some, you would realize just how slight Armstrong's build is. he is what he is.... a converted SAFETY.

He just isn't able to take on and discard blocks, or he wouldn't continually run around them. Which, leaves him out of position, and the defense exposed. I love his athleticism as much as anyone, but he just hasn't shown enough to me to think he can contribute as anything more than a Special Teams player.

I will be honest, I don't like the "look at me" antics either. He can't be on the field without acting like a complete tool.

nighttrain

Legend
With 12 picks, they probably add a LB somewhere for competition and depth. So it would be wise for Ray Ray to be working out and improving his trade.

My choice would be if Christian Jones makes it to the 4th, he is an upgrade and adds immediate LB depth to all three positions. There's some interesting LBs in this draft.
with all the pu's we are making in FA, putting together a package of draft choices and moving up is starting to sound very possible
train

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Armstrong is/was no where near 230+ last year. If you line him up side by side with Ogletree, who is considered "undersized" by some, you would realize just how slight Armstrong's build is. he is what he is.... a converted SAFETY.

He just isn't able to take on and discard blocks, or he wouldn't continually run around them. Which, leaves him out of position, and the defense exposed. I love his athleticism as much as anyone, but he just hasn't shown enough to me to think he can contribute as anything more than a Special Teams player.

I will be honest, I don't like the "look at me" antics either. He can't be on the field without acting like a complete tool.

Ogletree is a former safety as well, though obviously has had longer to learn and adjust to the LB position.

I also do believe last year RayRay was in the 220's, and think he has gained some more weight...I think. Can't remember where I read he was in the mid 230's now.

I do have hope for him, but its a fringe hope. Still on the fence about him tbh. Hope he can show more this offseason and in camp, if they don't think he can become that player I hope we draft someone in the first 3 rounds to play SOLB.

I'm not a fan of the "look at me antics" either.

edit: I looked around. NFL.com, espn, wiki, St. Louis rams official website all list RRA at 234 lbs. At draft time he was around 216(pro day) - 220 lbs. Not sure how accurate or up to date those sites are.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Ogletree is a former safety as well, though obviously has had longer to learn and adjust to the LB position.

I also do believe last year RayRay was in the 220's, and think he has gained some more weight...I think. Can't remember where I read he was in the mid 230's now.

I do have hope for him, but its a fringe hope. Still on the fence about him tbh. Hope he can show more this offseason and in camp, if they don't think he can become that player I hope we draft someone in the first 3 rounds to play SOLB.

I'm not a fan of the "look at me antics" either.

Well, the Rams seem to really like the athleticism of converted safeties, as Bates also fits into that category.

I just don't like the thought of Armstrong being counted on as a OLB. He made the team because of his Special Teams contribution, as did Bates. But unless and until he shows some maturity, and more importantly, discipline, I don't expect much more than that.