Ray Horton?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
St. Louis Rams received permission to interview Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton for their head coaching job today.

Report: Rams to interview Ray Horton

Brad Biggs, The National Football Post

After one season as the defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardnals, Ray Horton has an opportunity for something much bigger.

Horton will be interviewed by the St. Louis Rams for their head-coaching vacancy, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. That means the Rams are looking to Arizona for two possible leaders. Cardinals director of player personnel Steve Keim is a candidate for the Rams’ general manager position.

Horton was a member of two Super Bowl champion staffs with the Pittsburgh Steelers as a secondary coach. He was credited with helping develop Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, the NFL defensive player of the year in 2010.

Horton will satisfy the Rooney Rule for the Rams, who also were reported to be interested in minority candidate Todd Bowles. It has largely been speculated that former Titans/Oilers coach Jeff Fisher is the leading man for the job.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=856383#ixzz1ignDmsro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/vie ... z1ignDmsro</a>

Anonymous

ljramsfan said:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
St. Louis Rams received permission to interview Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton for their head coaching job today.

After one season as the defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardnals, Ray Horton has an opportunity for something much bigger.

Horton will be interviewed by the St. Louis Rams for their head-coaching vacancy, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. That means the Rams are looking to Arizona for two possible leaders. Cardinals director of player personnel Steve Keim is a candidate for the Rams’ general manager position.

Horton was a member of two Super Bowl champion staffs with the Pittsburgh Steelers as a secondary coach. He was credited with helping develop Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, the NFL defensive player of the year in 2010.

Horton will satisfy the Rooney Rule for the Rams, who also were reported to be interested in minority candidate Todd Bowles. It has largely been speculated that former Titans/Oilers coach Jeff Fisher is the leading man for the job.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=856383#ixzz1ignDmsro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/vie ... z1ignDmsro</a>

There ya go. It's what the Rooney rule is for. Now, the sports media wants to know who Ray Horton is. He gets a little buzz. He becomes visible. Next candidate session a couple of years down the road, he gets more interviews. Meanwhile he's had some practice interviewing.

Other than that it;s a bad fit cause he runs that steelers 3/4 D and the Rams have no one who fits that.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:
ljramsfan said:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

There ya go. It's what the Rooney rule is for. Now, the sports media wants to know who Ray Horton is. He gets a little buzz. He becomes visible. Next candidate session a couple of years down the road, he gets more interviews. Meanwhile he's had some practice interviewing.

Other than that it;s a bad fit cause he runs that steelers 3/4 D and the Rams have no one who fits that.

Agreed! I was thinking the same thing.We don't have the linebackers and I seriously doubt a Chris Long can play in coverage effectively.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I really hope they consider him and not just b/c of the Rooney rule. The Cards D was pretty tough late in the year.

As for the 3-4 vs. 4-3, thing...who knows. He might make the switch, might not. Tomlin didn't coming from a 4-3 in Minnesota to Pittsburgh.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
I really hope they consider him and not just b/c of the Rooney rule. The Cards D was pretty tough late in the year.

As for the 3-4 vs. 4-3, thing...who knows. He might make the switch, might not. Tomlin didn't coming from a 4-3 in Minnesota to Pittsburgh.

Another to consider, I dont know if it was him or their past DC, they played in a hybrid 3-4.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
zn said:
ljramsfan said:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

I hope so for Horton's sake. If I were Horton and a team interviewed me just because I was black, I'd be a bit offended. I think it's great that NFL is making it a priority to interview minority candidates, but I know that me personally, wouldn't want to be interviewed just to satisfy a rule and knowing that the team had no intention whatsoever of hiring me. Yes, this does get his name some publicity, and maybe hopefully, that will help him down the road, but really what's the point. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I like the Rooney rule in spirit, but in practice I think it's a bit demeaning.

Anonymous

brokeu91 said:
zn said:
ljramsfan said:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

I hope so for Horton's sake. If I were Horton and a team interviewed me just because I was black, I'd be a bit offended. I think it's great that NFL is making it a priority to interview minority candidates, but I know that me personally, wouldn't want to be interviewed just to satisfy a rule and knowing that the team had no intention whatsoever of hiring me. Yes, this does get his name some publicity, and maybe hopefully, that will help him down the road, but really what's the point. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I like the Rooney rule in spirit, but in practice I think it's a bit demeaning.

No reason to take offense. Nowhere near as experienced as the other candidate. Plus the interview gets his name out there amongst the press and NFL circles and it's good practice for interviewing when he is considered a strong candidate.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
squeaky wheel said:
brokeu91 said:
zn said:
ljramsfan said:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

No reason to take offense. Nowhere near as experienced as the other candidate. Plus the interview gets his name out there amongst the press and NFL circles and it's good practice for interviewing when he is considered a strong candidate.
I'm not personally taking offense...hell I'm white. I just think that if it were me, I'd strongly consider not even going to the interview unless I actually thought there was a realistic chance the team might hire me. To me it was clear that the Rams were only interviewing him in order to satisfy the Rooney rule.

Anonymous

brokeu91 said:
squeaky wheel said:
brokeu91 said:
zn said:
ljramsfan said:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

I'm not personally taking offense...hell I'm white. I just think that if it were me, I'd strongly consider not even going to the interview unless I actually thought there was a realistic chance the team might hire me. To me it was clear that the Rams were only interviewing him in order to satisfy the Rooney rule.

The job is still in play. Plus the reasons why not to take offense I gave in my previous post. Heck he was wined and dined for goodness sake. Probably brought his wife along too. I know I did when interviewing out of town. No slight to Horton at all being interviewed....Rooney Rule notwithstanding.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The Rooney rule is a really stupid rule. How come you don't have to interview any Oriental or Hispanic candidates? Owners are going to go after the most qualified prospects no matter what race they may be just like the police lock up whoever is doing the crime regardless of race. A big waste of time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ramhusker said:
The Rooney rule is a really stupid rule. How come you don't have to interview any Oriental or Hispanic candidates? Owners are going to go after the most qualified prospects no matter what race they may be just like the police lock up whoever is doing the crime regardless of race. A big waste of time.
The Rooney rule is for ALL minority coaches. If there was an oriental head coaching candidate, he would qualify.

steferfootball

Starter
X said:
Ramhusker said:
The Rooney rule is for ALL minority coaches. If there was an oriental head coaching candidate, he would qualify.
The Rooney rule is kinda a joke. I think it is actually a bit counter productive, as these candidates are kinda scoffed at.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
steferfootball said:
X said:
Ramhusker said:
The Rooney rule is kinda a joke. I think it is actually a bit counter productive, as these candidates are kinda scoffed at.
Well, yes and no. Depends on how you look at it. A guy like Horton probably wouldn't be able to get his foot in the door otherwise. But now that he has, he has the chance to impress someone. Same with Tomlin. The Steelers had Whisenhunt on staff, but brought in Tomlin from the Vikings, and he impressed the hell out of them. Did anyone really know who Tomlin was prior to his getting signed by the Steelers? I know a bunch of people who thought he was already ON the Steelers and just got promoted from within. He was a Rooney rule interview too though.