Rapoport: Los Angeles Rams TE Tyler Higbee “coughed up blood” from lung injury

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rapoport: Los Angeles Rams TE Tyler Higbee “coughed up blood” from lung injury
Higbee exited Sunday’s game with a reported chest injury. On Monday morning, more details are being released.

Sep 16, 2019, 11:05am CDT
1568652537058.png
A day after he left Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints with a reported “chest injury”, we are now learning that Los Angeles Rams TE Tyler Higbee injured his lung.

According to the NFL Network’s Michael Rapoport, Higbee’s injury caused him to “cough up blood.”

The most surprising thing about this story is that Rapoport reports Higbee won’t miss much time, which is not something I expected to read immediately following the nugget about coughing up blood.

Sunday’s game between the Rams and the Saints saw a multitude of injuries to starters like Higbee, DT Aaron Donald, and New Orleans QB Drew Brees, to name a few. Brees injury turned out to be torn ligament in his thumb, which we now know will require surgery and will require the Saints offense to be without their star quarterback for six to eight weeks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams TE Tyler Higbee Went to Hospital Sunday With Lung Injury After Coughing up Blood

By Karl Rasmussen |

Los Angeles Rams tight end Tyler Higbee had quite the health scare on Sunday after suffering a chest injury against the Saints. The 26-year-old TE exited the game due to the injury, and was taken to the hospital as a precaution. Well, it may be good that they took him in, as it turned out Higbee had a lung injury which caused him to cough up blood, per Ian Rapoport.

Fortunately, the expectation is that Higbee will only miss a short amount of time, if he's sidelined at all. Obviously coughing up blood is incredibly worrisome, but he was taken to the hospital and received the treatment he needs, and it doesn't seem like it will be a huge issue going forward.
Higbee just recently signed an extension with the Rams, keeping him in Los Angeles through the 2023 season. While he's not a huge factor in the passing attack, he's a capable pass catcher and an effective blocker. Hopefully he'll be good to go for Week 3's clash with the Cleveland Browns.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Yeah I got punched in the ribs thought I broke one and it was bruised. Took about two weeks off. I'm sure he'll miss next week but I dont think it will be any longer than that. Scary injury tho because they probably thought it was a punctured lung

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If Higbee misses a week I wonder how that will affect McVay's game planning? Higbee is used a lot as the TE in the 11 personnel with his blocking. Can't see Everett being the effective Blocker Higbee is. But I do see Everett being a viable receiving option.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Shame, get well soon Higbee. This is an opportunity for Everett to see how he fares with #1 TE reps

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Higbee has seemed to be improved in the passing game this year. Either that or I am noticing due to his extension. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I think Everett will play fine in place of Higbee. How many of us noticed the increase in snap counts for Everett yesterday? Mundt will be adequate as well as the #2 TE.

A little nervous for Higs, get better soon!

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
Between the Rams game and the Sunday night game, a lot of hard hitting and a lot of guy's getting knocked out of the game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Damn. Rest up Higs. Guessing it was that hit on the reception along the sideline?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams tight end reportedly won't miss much time despite lung injury that was worse than thought

Tyler Higbee left the Saints-Rams game with a gruesome chest injury

Los Angeles Rams tight end Tyler Higbee left Sunday's win over the New Orleans Saints with a chest injury, which turned out to be much more severe than initially thought. Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Higbee's chest injury turned out to be an injury to his lung that caused him to cough up blood. Despite the gruesome status of his internal organ, Higbee isn't expected to miss much time.
Higbee was admitted to the hospital as a precaution. The injury was caused by chest pain and shouldn't be taken lightly, but "much time" is a very vague description.

Higbee left the game in the second quarter, but never went into the locker room. He has 66 catches for 713 yards and five touchdowns in four NFL seasons. The Rams gave Higbee a contract extension last week. His new deal has a base value of $31.025 million but can escalate to more than $36 million, giving the three-year veteran an average annual salary of somewhere between $7.75 million and $9 million.

Gerald Everett is the No. 2 tight end on the Rams and is expected to assume the No. 1 duties in the wake of Higbee's absence. Based on Higbee's condition, he may be out longer than expected.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Rams tight end reportedly won't miss much time despite lung injury that was worse than thought

Tyler Higbee left the Saints-Rams game with a gruesome chest injury

Los Angeles Rams tight end Tyler Higbee left Sunday's win over the New Orleans Saints with a chest injury, which turned out to be much more severe than initially thought. Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Higbee's chest injury turned out to be an injury to his lung that caused him to cough up blood. Despite the gruesome status of his internal organ, Higbee isn't expected to miss much time.
Higbee was admitted to the hospital as a precaution. The injury was caused by chest pain and shouldn't be taken lightly, but "much time" is a very vague description.

Higbee left the game in the second quarter, but never went into the locker room. He has 66 catches for 713 yards and five touchdowns in four NFL seasons. The Rams gave Higbee a contract extension last week. His new deal has a base value of $31.025 million but can escalate to more than $36 million, giving the three-year veteran an average annual salary of somewhere between $7.75 million and $9 million.

Gerald Everett is the No. 2 tight end on the Rams and is expected to assume the No. 1 duties in the wake of Higbee's absence. Based on Higbee's condition, he may be out longer than expected.

We have two tough starters and I'd be very carefull with our big stud from Western Kentucky who has become a fine citizen. Let's let him totally heal with the best watchfull eyes on him. Everett has gotten more solid and is a big ass man to fill the blocking role himself. We need to be seeing some long touchdowns from our TE's . Let's hook em up Jarod. Been a while since last years Chiefs game.

Ram65

Legend
If Higbee misses a week I wonder how that will affect McVay's game planning? Higbee is used a lot as the TE in the 11 personnel with his blocking. Can't see Everett being the effective Blocker Higbee is. But I do see Everett being a viable receiving option.

Everett has been blocking well this year and last year. IIRC PFF had him higher blocking rating than Higbee last year. I saw a couple of nice blocks yesterday by Everett.

oldnotdead

Legend
Sounds like a ruptured alveoli which sounds worse than it is. People can do that when they have severe coughing spasms. Alveoli are small delicate structures in the lung where the gas exchange occurs. I think we have all have had that experience at one time or another. I have asthma and it happens to me occasionally.

A week maybe two at most is all I expect. Considering what good conditioning he's in he might only miss some practices. He probably could suit up on game day and only play as an injury replacement for Everett. Everett will be just fine. His blocking has continued to improve and he's a bigger receiving threat. As I've said before, this team can play with no TE's and not miss a beat. If need be they can line up Reynolds at the TE position if they wanted to for chip blocks. Reynolds knows the Y route tree so it would be no problem for him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Hopefully Higbee can get back soon, as he's a huge part of what we do offensively. If he isn't a safety valve target on bootlegs or an option on a pass play in general, he's a hell of a blocker.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like a ruptured alveoli which sounds worse than it is. People can do that when they have severe coughing spasms. Alveoli are small delicate structures in the lung where the gas exchange occurs. I think we have all have had that experience at one time or another. I have asthma and it happens to me occasionally.

yep, happened to me a few times. the blood gets mixed in with the mucus. usually lasts a day then goes away. but i used to cough a lot.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Before I was diagnosed with asthma, I coughed up blood a couple times. One time was as you described. The other time while sleeping I had aspirated blood from a nosebleed combined with mucous from a sinus infection. It was a lot of blood so I took a picture to show my Doctor. I've been seeing him since 1999 so he knows my sense of humor well. His comment on my picture was "Looks like salsa".

oldnotdead

Legend
If it tasted like salsa you need to cut back on the hot sauce.

My girlfriend made salsa for the first time and told her to make it mild because of my reflux. When she was done I asked her if it was mild and her answer was "totally". One bite of my taco had me chugging a whole bottle of ice water. Now she makes two bowls and laughs at her gringo.

After the games on Sunday I swear my sweat smells like salsa and pico de gallo.