Ranking the NFL's best, worst offensive lines

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Kromer has been giving the old men of the OL off during the week from practices i..e Whitworth & Sullivan sure came in handy when John Sullivan went down & Center Austin Blythe came in & things went just as smooth. Even UDFA LT Darrell Williams 2nd season saw some limited action last week in London. Kromer looks to be brilliant in this decision.

DW has been seeing more & more practice action with the first team too. DW has only 12 gms of being active & only a few games where he has seen action with the offense in a regular season game. DW was finally healthy this season & was able to participate completely in TC & all of pre season @ Left OT not RT. All that activity has keep last seasons top reserve & late season starter in active thus far this season.

I still would hope for a top rookie left tackle will be drafted in the upcoming draft to eventually replace the All Pro Whitworth, but till then we are lucky to have Darrell Williams.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I know the OL gets a lot of credit, and they damn well deserve it. What a difference from last year.

But some has to go to Goff too. He's been really nimble in the pocket and has managed to buy himself a little extra moment by moving up or shifting over a step or two. While keeping his eyes downfield. His peripheral vision seems to be excellent, and when people say a QB has a sense in the pocket and can feel pressure I always thing it's their peripheral vision. So he's helping them and the WR's. He's willing to hold the ball long enough to let them do their work downfield and he is agile enough to get himself that extra half a second.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Its been noted that Austin Blythe's success has been due to being able to practice with the ones on Wednesdays because Whit and Sully get off due to their age.

Got me to wondering who is taking snaps at LT for Whitworth? Williams or Donnal or both?

jap

Legend
Kromer, Les and Sean will need to look closely at upcoming rookies for the 2018 draft session as well as FA OL vets with some brute power & football sense. We have old timers on this OL that will need to be replaced sooner than later and a young set of fly guys, RBs, and Jared that will require ongoing protection for a decade or more. Professor Kromer seems to love brute power mixed with savvy, so the onus falls on our scholarly Ol coach to keep this OL party mutating onwards & upwards.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Appears (to me) that John Sullivan is trending the right way with a strong tailwind on finally placing himself back in the running as one of the better well seasoned/Veteran UFA's centers in 2018. It would be a big blow & a shame to loose this ex All Pro to another team after this Free Agency off season. @den-the-coach was on target early on this veteran OC:cheers:!

It would appear that both JS & Austin Blythe {Iowa} are outstanding duo to have on our master roster for Kromer. Its not all too surprising that the Colts very late 7th rd 2016 selection & then the Colts cut bait Austin Blythe (who was a teammate of Andrew Donnal during the 2013 & 2014 seasons as the starting center), has rose to the opportunity last week in London. A smaller mobile SMART interior OL'er. Lucky for Snead/McVay/Kromer that Blythe is locked up Free Agency: 2020 (UFA).

If JS is hampered by this knee injury it may give the younger Ol with much better body integrity a leg up as starter if JS demands a significant pay increase after signing for a econo priced bargain this season. I would have to place JS very high up on the top 5 to resign for 2018 season.

Another element into this future scenario is Kromers 3rd center Aaron Nearly from Eastern Washington who must have made himself known due to the fact that he was a teammate of Cooper Kupp.Nearly was claimed off waivers late this season & was later released by the Ram off the 53 player roster but signed to the PS. Nearly is a close physical clone of Blythe in size 6-4 301 lbs. AN was a starting OG & Rams scouts must have been noticed dominating defenders with his upper body and hands.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/aaron-neary?id=2556113

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
I know the OL gets a lot of credit, and they damn well deserve it. What a difference from last year.

But some has to go to Goff too. He's been really nimble in the pocket and has managed to buy himself a little extra moment by moving up or shifting over a step or two. While keeping his eyes downfield. His peripheral vision seems to be excellent, and when people say a QB has a sense in the pocket and can feel pressure I always thing it's their peripheral vision. So he's helping them and the WR's. He's willing to hold the ball long enough to let them do their work downfield and he is agile enough to get himself that extra half a second.

He ran out of the pocket against the Whiners too. Don't know how they grade that. Hard to believe the Rams are number 1 rated in blocking. Could be the easier schedule. You can see the improvement but, I don't see them as a dominating offensive line. This explanation on third and one could be why.

It's because we are almost always zone blocking. When you get into short yardage like that, it becomes a situation where you need guys who can blow defenders off the ball. Our guys just aren't good at that. Hav plays too high. Sullivan and Whitworth don't have the power anymore. Saffold and Brown are hit and miss.

I thought they mixed up the blocking. Still it very concerning to me that they have trouble getting one or yard or less on third downs. They have to figure something out.