Rams: Year 2 Player Predictions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
St. Louis Rams: Year 2 Player Predictions
By misone@MightyOrMisone on Jul 12 2014

20131222_jla_af5_524.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Scott Kane-USA TODAY Sports

Any struggles in year one of a players career should never come as a surprise. In year two, more of the same errors should be expected, but at a far lower rate than year one. With less struggles, comes more results...

Year two should very rarely be considered the "breakout year" for a young player. Unless that player was able to show major signs of possibly breaking out in their first year, than the idea of them doing so can be viewed as being overly optimistic. That is not to say that a player cannot make a massive leap between year one and year two. But it is far more likely that a player gradually builds on their confidence and understanding of the game.

Tavon Austin:
Tavon Austin started his rookie season off very slow. While he caught a lot of passes in his first 5-6 NFL games, he also dropped a lot. Through the first six weeks, Austin dropped seven passes. His drop rate was a ridiculous 17.1%. But as the case with most extremely explosive players, the reward of playing him far outweighed the risk. With more playing time comes more confidence and understanding. As the season progressed, Austin improved and showcased more and more of that explosive talent that made him the eighth overall pick.

In fact, after starting the first six games with 7 drops, Austin would finish his season with zero drops after week six. He also went on to score touchdowns in the form of receiving, rushing, and returning. Before spraining his ankle in week 14, it became clear the game was starting to slow down, and Austin's potential began to translate into production. I fully expect Austin to pick up where he left off in week 14 of the 2013 season.

Projection: 51 rec---669 yds---14 rush---174 yds---412 ret yds---8 total tds

Stedman Bailey:
I strongly doubt if there was one Rams fan out there that was not extremely disappointed to hear that Stedman Bailey would be suspended four games to begin the year. The reason for that disappointment is because there is no denying what Bailey can bring to the table, and he carries a lot of expectations heading into year two. Many believed when Bailey was drafted that he was instantly the best receiver on the Rams roster. He did not get many opportunities early in the season to show what he could do for the team, but once the chance came, he really stepped up.

Over the final six weeks of the season, Bailey caught 16 passes for 214 yards, and added 2 carries for 33 yards and a touchdown. He made some very tough grabs in traffic, and consistently fought for extra yards. Oh, and his drop rate? Yeah, it was zero. Bailey entered the NFL with a reputation of being a hard worker that always played with a chip on his shoulder. After being suspended he now has a real chip to fuel him in his return.

Projection: 55 rec---734 yds---5 tds---1 drop

Zac Stacy:
There has been some chatter about Zac Stacy possibly losing his starting job this year. That is silly talk, and quite frankly ungrateful. After the season this young man gave St. Louis, and now people are actually doubting him, that is insane. He kept the Rams competitive, as well as brief playoff contenders. It's kind of crazy to think of him as someone that could be on the verge of losing his starting role. Stacy displayed some of the best vision you could find last season.

He exploited cutback lanes as good as anyone. He ran with great burst, balance, and power. He finished the season ranked eighth in average yards after contact. He had all this success in only 12 weeks, with practically no passing game to support him. I fully expect Zac Stacy to retain his starting role, be even better this year, as it already looks like he has improved his physical condition.

Projection: 290 rush---1,278 yds---10 tds---27 rec---178 yds

Alec Ogletree:
Alec Ogletree really showed why Jeff Fisher would blush last summer every time someone mentioned his name. He has a knack for being around the ball. The kid simply plays all out, sideline to sideline, football. He also looks to create turnovers with every opportunity given, and had success on quite a few occasions. Ogletree is a high effort - high energy - player that is going to give you everything he has. It's obvious that he has fun out there on the field.

The best news about Ogletree is that he is wise enough to know that if he wants to get better, he has to learn the ropes. Which is why it's awesome that he has allowed James Laurinaitis to take him under his wing. Laurinaitis is one of the smartest linebackers in the NFL, and his football IQ is off the charts. The only thing that separates Olgetree from becoming a truly special linebacker is his understanding of the pro game. After a season under his belt and a whole year around James, I still expect him to have more than his fair share of mental lapse, but Ogletree should come out guns blazing.

Projection: 142 tkl---2 int---5 ff---4 sck

TJ McDonald:
T.J. McDonald must have been the happiest safety alive this off-season. To hear that your team just signed Gregg Williams is the best news you can have as an NFL safety. Williams has a helluva track record with safeties in his system. Pro Bowls galore. With that being said, it's hard to envision McDonald as a Pro Bowl safety next year. He struggled mightily in coverage and missed a lot of tackles.

But he showed enough promise to assume there will be a significant overall improvement with his performance. He does not have the same privilege as Alec Ogletree, to learn from a very knowledgeable veteran in his position group. But T.J. is a smart player and will have Williams there to assist him along the way. I think it is safe to say McDonald will have a solid season.

Projection: 80 tkl---2 int---3.5 sck---2 ff

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The projection between Austin and Bailey doesn't look right. No way they have nearly the same YAC.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Not sure why everyone seems to think those numbers would be disappointing. If you make certain assumptions based on the number of pass attempts, completion %, and YPA, you will quickly realize they aren't gonna be lighting it up in the stat column. But for the sake of argument here, look at these "projections" based on what would seem to be consistent with the approach going into this season.

If you project Bradford averaging around 28 passes per game, (if he is forced to throw more than that this team is in trouble) which is reasonable given the direction they appear to be going, that projects out to be 448 pass attempts for the season. Being optimistic that his YPA improves, even say to a decent 8.5 per attempt..... and IF he completes 62% of those attempts, well, you see where I'm going with this....

28 avg attempts per game = 448 total attempts
8.5 yards per attempt = 3800 toital yards
62% completion rate = 280 Completions

If you make certain assumptions as to how those completions get distributed:

WR - 60% = 160
TEs - 30% = 84
Rbs - 10% = 28

with the numbers that were mentioned in the article, you have TWO WRs getting 105 of these 280 (give or take) total completions. Now add in projected numbers for Britt, Quick, Givens, Pettis, Cook, Kendricks, and the RBs, and it becomes very obvious there just isn't going to be any ONE guy who blows the top off the stat sheet.

Its common to try to compare preseason numbers with what OTHER teams' personnel puts up, but you have to allow for the style of play, and the realistic projections of how THIS TEAM will try to function.

I will be very surprised if ANYONE on this team surpasses 60 receptions, let alone 800 yards. Now if you want to talk TDs, I say go for it.

Last edited:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I think these numbers are pretty realistic and I'd be extremely pleased. I don't know why people would be disappointed in that production from Tavon. We aren't going to pass a lot, and we aren't going to force the ball to any one guy. If anything, that's terrific production for the offense we're running. And if Bailey puts up those numbers in 12 games in this offense, I'd say we have a #1 receiver.

Not sure why everyone seems to think those numbers would be disappointing. If you make certain assumptions based on the number of pass attempts, completion %, and YPA, you will quickly realize they aren't gonna be lighting it up in the stat column. But for the sake of argument here, look at these "projections" based on what would seem to be consistent with the approach going into this season.

If you project Bradford averaging around 28 passes per game, (if he is forced to throw more than that this team is in trouble) which is reasonable given the direction they appear to be going, that projects out to be 448 pass attempts for the season. Being optimistic that his YPA improves, even say to a decent 8.5 per attempt..... and IF he completes 62% of those attempts, well, you see where I'm going with this....

28 avg attempts per game = 448 total attempts
8.5 yards per attempt = 3800 toital yards
62% completion rate = 280 Completions

If you make certain assumptions as to how those completions get distributed:

WR - 60% = 160
TEs - 30% = 84
Rbs - 10% = 28

with the numbers that were mentioned in the article, you have TWO WRs getting 105 of these 280 (give or take) total completions. Now add in projected numbers for Britt, Quick, Givens, Pettis, Cook, Kendricks, and the RBs, and it becomes very obvious there just isn't going to be any ONE guy who blows the top off the stat sheet.

Its common to try to compare preseason numbers with what OTHER teams' personnel puts up, but you have to allow for the style of play, and the realistic projections of how THIS TEAM will try to function.

I will be very surprised if ANYONE on this team surpasses 60 receptions, let alone 800 yards. Now if you want to talk TDs, I say go for it.

Wow you really don't have a lot of faith in Sam? "if he's forced to throw more than what was the 3rd lowest in the league last year we're in trouble". That's very worrying.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Wow you really don't have a lot of faith in Sam? "if he's forced to throw more than what was the 3rd lowest in the league last year we're in trouble". That's very worrying.

Has very little to do with Bradford, and everything to do with how I expect this team to function this year. Every sign points to them throwing less than 30 times per game, and from the blueprint that has been put forth, its not about how often you throw, but how effective you are when you do.

It also takes into account, that they can and will be playing with leads. Something they haven't had the luxury of doing for quite sometime. If you look no further than last year's success, in games such as Houston, Indy, New Orleans and Chicago.... they attempted 16, 16 22 and 20 passes respectively. I realize those games were not the norm, but they do prove that they do NOT have to throw 40 times to win football games.

Conversely, in the SF game, Bradford threw it 41 times, in the Tennessee game, Clemens had to throw it 35 times. How did that work out?

And again, it has NOTHING to do with Bradford. It has more to do with game situations, and being in a position to maximize the opportunities.

Has very little to do with Bradford, and everything to do with how I expect this team to function this year. Every sign points to them throwing less than 30 times per game, and from the blueprint that has been put forth, its not about how often you throw, but how effective you are when you do.

It also takes into account, that they can and will be playing with leads. Something they haven't had the luxury of doing for quite sometime. If you look no further than last year's success, in games such as Houston, Indy, New Orleans and Chicago.... they attempted 16, 16 22 and 20 passes respectively. I realize those games were not the norm, but they do prove that they do NOT have to throw 40 times to win football games.

Conversely, in the SF game, Bradford threw it 41 times, in the Tennessee game, Clemens had to throw it 35 times. How did that work out?

And again, it has NOTHING to do with Bradford. It has more to do with game situations, and being in a position to maximize the opportunities.

And in the Cardinals game we threw it 38 times and in the Jags game 34 times.

It would be great if we could get out to early leads with our D and special teams scoring multiple TDs, (or play the worst run D of the last 50 years every week in Chicago's case) but I don't think we'll be in trouble if we don't.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
And in the Cardinals game we threw it 38 times and in the Jags game 34 times.

It would be great if we could get out to early leads with our D and special teams scoring multiple TDs, (or play the worst run D of the last 50 years every week in Chicago's case) but I don't think we'll be in trouble if we don't.

I guess the concept of AVERAGES went beyond the scope with you. Projected over a 16 game schedule, I am suggesting they won't throw it more than 28 times ON AVERAGE, because they will be more successful not doing it.

Will there be games when they have to throw it 40 times. Certainly. But that won't ever be an ideal situation for THIS TEAM. And again, it has nothing to do with Bradford.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

I absolutely agree, but was trying to be aggressive in my numbers, for the sake of showing just how unlikely it is for them to put up huge passing numbers. Using your number of 7.8 YPA, they will be around 3500 yards.

FRO

Legend
I think Austin gets more touches. Once they started lining him up on the outside his effectiveness went up. Burnt Carolina and Indianapolis bad on go routes. He is too explosive to waste in the slot. I think he gets 60-70 catches.