Rams wrap up work week/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams wrap up work week
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12100/rams-wrap-up-work-week

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams officially began their time off Thursday after completing afternoon practice.

It was a mostly uneventful practice but Rams coach Jeff Fisher didn't hesitate to mix things up a bit to start the day. During the individual portion of practice, Fisher mixed and matched position groups with different position coaches.

For example, the wide receivers worked on defensive line drills under the guidance of line coaches Mike Waufle and Clyde Simmons. Linebackers coaches Frank Bush and Joe Bowden worked with the running backs. And so on.

Fisher said that's something he likes to do over the bye just to change things up a bit.

"We do that every bye week the last practice where you just switch positions where the receivers will go down and learn some of the tricks of the trade of the defensive line," Fisher said. "So it's a nice way to start off the last practice of the bye week."

As for the practice itself, the Rams continued to find extra reps for a variety of players as they went through the workout. Once again, cornerbacks Trumaine Johnson (knee) and Brandon McGee (foot) did not practice.

Offensive lineman Barrett Jones (back) also did not practice but again did some extra work on the side with the team's training staff. Receiver Tavon Austin (knee) did some limited work and defensive end William Hayes also sat out though it's not believed to be injury-related.

Elsewhere, defensive end Chris Long did away with the large cast on his left leg as well as the scooter he used to get around. He's now in a walking boot with crutches.

The Rams also made a small roster move, tweaking the practice squad by releasing tight end Brad Smelley and re-signing receiver Justin Veltung.

From here, Rams players are off until Tuesday as mandated by the collective bargaining agreement. They play next on Oct. 5 at Philadelphia.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rams scatter for bye weekend

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_b34f7f34-6888-54a6-b7ab-53d4537183db.html

It didn't take long for Rams players to scatter Thursday afternoon following the second _ and last _ practice of the bye week. As mandated under the collective bargaining agreement, players get four consecutive days off during the bye.

The team won't gather again until Tuesday at Rams Park. Some players are heading to watch their college team play. In the case of tight end Lance Kendricks, he's heading to Jamaica for the weekend. Other are staying put in St. Louis.

Coach Jeff Fisher wants them to take their minds off football _ at least pro football _ for the next few days.

Thursday's practice started in unusual fashion, with position coaches taking players from other positions through drills. For example, linebackers coach Frank Bush took the tight ends and running backs through some drills. The offensive linemen worked with the Rams' secondary coaches for a while.

But after a while, everyone returned to home base, that is, their respective position coaches.

"We do that every bye week the last practice, where we just switch positions, where the receivers will down and learn some of the tricks of the trade of the defensive line (and so on)," Fisher said. "It's a nice way to start off the last practice of the bye week."

Once again, cornerbacks Trumaine Johnson (knee) and Brandon McGee (foot) missed practice. Center/guard Barrett Jones (back) did some work on the side, and wide recever/punt returner Tavon Austin did some individual work.

Defensive end William Hayes also didn't practice Thursday, although it did not appear to be injury related.

_ The Rams have resigned WR Justin Veltung to the practice squad, after releasing TE Brad Smelley.

_ DE Chris Long is no longer using a scooter to get around following foot surgery. He's in a walking boot, using crutches.

RamBill

Legend
Nick Wagoner @nwagoner ·

Rams also made a small roster move, specifically on practice squad where TE Brad Smelley was released and WR Justin Veltung re-signed.

Chris Long's scooter is no more. He also ditched the heavy cast on left ankle. He's now in a walking boot and has crutches.

Receiver/returner Tavon Austin did individual work for second consecutive day as he works back from knee injury.

CBs Trumaine Johnson (knee) and Brandon McGee (foot) did not practice again. OL Barrett Jones (back) did more work on the side again.

For example, wide receivers went through some defensive like drills under the guidance of defensive line coach Mike Waufle.

Rams changed things up a little to open practice. Fisher had positions coaches working with different groups in part of individual portion.

Rams off the practice field Thursday afternoon. Players are now off until next Tuesday.

Alan

Legend
"Rams also made a small roster move, specifically on practice squad where TE Brad Smelley was released and WR Justin Veltung re-signed." :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
OK then, SB here we come!

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Some Rams scatter, some stay during bye weekend
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_13351685-7780-5daf-b355-8c1c67320ac7.html

Many players scattered after Thursday’s bye week practice at Rams Park. Among them, tight end Lance Kendricks headed to Jamaica. Quarterback Austin Davis said he was getting away with his wife.

Fullback/tight end Cory Harkey killed two birds with one stone, heading to Arizona to visit his father in Scottsdale and watch his college team, UCLA, play at Arizona State.

As for left guard Rodger Saffold, he’s staying home.

“This weekend, I’m hanging out,” Saffold said. “It’s time to relax. I don’t want to go home (to Cleveland). I’m not going to Indiana (University). I’m just sitting at home. I’ve got a pregnant wife, so I’ve gotta chill out.

“They came out with that (video) game Destiny. I think I might play that. It’s fun.”

He also plans to catch some college and pro football Saturday and Sunday in his man cave, complete with recliner, cup holders, and about a 100-inch television screen.

“So I’ll just turn on the screen and I’ll sit,” Saffold said. “Out of everybody in here, you know that I need to be the one to relax.”

He was poking fun at his injury history.

“I’m not trying to jinx myself or hurt myself,” he said. “I’ll wrap myself in bubble-wrap. Not trying to get any colds, sickness. None of that stuff.”

Count rookie defensive tackle Ethan Westbrooks among the stay-at-home Rams. When asked if he might head to Jamaica like Kendricks, Westbrooks replied: “My money ain’t that long yet. I’m gonna just be here in St. Louis. I’ll probably come in and work out, lift some weights, just try to get better. Stay in my playbook, not get too much away from football.”

As mandated by the collective bargaining agreement, players are entitled to at least four consecutive days off during their bye week. So the team won’t gather again until Tuesday at Rams Park. Coach Jeff Fisher wants them to take their minds off football for the next few days. Doesn’t sound like that will be the case for Westbrooks.

CHANGING COACHES

Thursday’s practice started in unusual fashion, with position coaches taking players from other positions through drills. For example, linebackers coach Frank Bush took the tight ends and running backs. The offensive linemen worked with the Rams’ secondary coaches.

But after a while, everyone returned to home base — that is, their respective position coaches.

“We do that every bye week the last practice, where we just switch positions,” Fisher said. “Where the receivers will go down and learn some of the tricks of the trade of the defensive line (and so on). It’s a nice way to start off the last practice of the bye week.”

ONE FOR DAD

Kendricks told his father he would score a touchdown for him against Dallas, and was true to his word with a one-yard TD catch for the first points of the game.

“He was at the game,” Kendricks said. “I would’ve handed it to him if I was able to. But we had (the extra point), so I had to stay in there.” Kendricks blocks on the field goal/PAT unit.

BABY LONDON

Linebacker James Laurinaitis and his wife named their new baby daughter London, but it was no homage to former Rams linebacker London Fletcher, or the metropolis in England.

“We just liked the name,” Laurinaitis said. “You know those books that have like 60,000 names? I think my wife went through every one.”

INJURY UPDATE

Cornerbacks Trumaine Johnson (knee) and Brandon McGee (foot) missed practice once again on Thursday. Center/guard Barrett Jones (back) continues to work his way back towards participating in practice, doing some work on the side for the second week in a row. Wide receiver/punt returner Tavon Austin (knee) did some individual work.

Defensive end William Hayes also didn’t practice Thursday, although it was uncertain if it was injury related.

BARELY BAILEY

Wide receiver Stedman Bailey was in for only 10 plays on offense against Dallas in his first contest back since the final two games of his four-game NFL drug suspension were rescinded. That wasn’t necessarily the plan, Fisher said.

“It’s how the game went, but it’s his first week back,” Fisher said. “He’ll be much more involved as we move forward.”

RAM-BLINGS

• DE Chris Long is no longer using a scooter to get around following foot surgery. He’s in a walking boot, using crutches.

• WR Justin Veltung was re-signed to the practice squad Thursday; TE Brad Smelley was released from the practice squad.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
That stinks.

Hahaha

I've got a buddy who is a Special Agent in the military. His last name is Smelly... I only call him "Special Agent Smelly",,, and I purposely call him by "name" whenever I can. LOL

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
"Rams also made a small roster move, specifically on practice squad where TE Brad Smelley was released and WR Justin Veltung re-signed." :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
OK then, SB here we come!

Good. Smelley stunk. He was never going to sniff the field with our depth at TE as he never really had a nose for the ball.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I know its easy for me to say since im not the one going through the work and the rigors of the nfl but at 1-2 these guys should all be more like Westbrooks and want to stay around the facility and get as much work done as possible.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Last year, after the Bye, and Fisher working his ways, we Beat our next opponent (Chicago) 42-21! I wonder if we can do the same thing for Philly this year!?

Alan

Legend
ZigZagRam ranking the deal:
Good. Smelley stunk. He was never going to sniff the field with our depth at TE as he never really had a nose for the ball.
Great job ZigZag, you got three of them in there. (y) :LOL: We're gonna miss having Smelly on the team.