Rams' WR situation seems tenuous heading into opener

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
I grew up with espn....loved the whole total sports network thing, 24/7.....Why can't they find a real football guy to follow and report on the rams...Look at the players...talk to local people...not just regurgitate the same stuff....and worse, bend stats to make a point....so it looks like you did research...anybody could see that during the preseason, Thomas was struggling but is an exciting athlete...one you'd think they'd stash on the practice squad until 2017, when he COULD supplant a struggling Quick...Or an under performing Britt... At least JT does a lil intel...I think this reporter was a soccer guy....
Most sports "analysts" don't seem to pay much attention to the Rams. They just repeat what someone else says or that they read somewhere, then they try to fill in some blanks. And it's evident to any Ram's fan that listens. Even the fantasy hosts. They'll get names wrong, some stats are bent to support what they say. I don't call in to those shows, butttttt, when the Rams make them eat a whole lot of crow, I may start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Our "tenuous" WR situation is just temporary, hopefully.

Our guys will be healthy soon.

In the meantime, I think Boras/Groh are planning on heavy doses of TE targets to supplement our temporary shortfall with Cooper and Spruce out. Heavy doses.

In fact, I think they wanted to do that all along, anyway.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Watch the "Marshall Faulk interview Thread w/ Eisen, Faulk thinks "If Fisher wasn't in the final year of his contract he would probably Start Goff, It would be the right thing to do. BUT! Fisher needs to see how his team is going to play 1st, under these circumstances, so sitting Goff for now is the right thing to do for now!"
That's as close to a quote as I can get it, and I trust Faulk's opinion!

I took your advice and watched the interview, and thankful for the opportunity. Faulk and Eisen are as good as gold discussing anything football related. While Faulk waffled somewhat on the Goff issue, what can one expect, there may be no answer that is absolutely correct. Time will tell this story. We know that Goff isn't ready today, but most of us have seen just enough to know that his potential is great once he has the system down.
This wasn't discussed, but I firmly believe that while we now have our future starting QB on the roster, we are only a legitimate # 1 WR away from competing with the best in the league. Our defensive backfield may still appear a bit shaky, and once again we have several rookies and near rookies to develop properly on both the O and D, ... for such a young team, we are a force to be reckoned with, and will remain so for a very long time. jmo.

Last edited:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Our "tenuous" WR situation is just temporary, hopefully.

Our guys will be healthy soon.

In the meantime, I think Boras/Groh are planning on heavy doses of TE targets to supplement our temporary shortfall with Cooper and Spruce out. Heavy doses.

In fact, I think they wanted to do that all along, anyway.

Have to agree 43... When you draft a QB #1 overall that doesn't have the trending read-option skill set combined with adding TE's like Higbee and Hemingway along with the addition of slot receivers Cooper/Spruce you clearly can tell they have a vision for the direction of the passing game.

Until they find a some WR talent on the outside, the future of this offense beyond Gurley is going to be attacking the middle of the field which is a clear strength of Goff's. The only question is will Fisher and his staff be around long enough to see it come to fruition? I'm rooting for that to be the case but many have shared their faith in Fisher and vision his head on the chopping block sooner than later.

giphy.gif

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I just don't think we are that weak at WR. Fisher and Snead tackled the OL problem last year and it is starting to look much better. They did the same thing with WRs/TEs this year and I'd bet we won't be thinking we are that weak at the position this time next year. We needed a QB too so doing both in the same draft was a tall task. I think they did a pretty damn good job myself. I mean we didn't get a pass catcher until the 4th round. We did good under those circumstances. Yes, we still don't have that #1 WR that everybody has been clamoring for for the past decade but I say we will have a solid core later this season. I'm sure getting a #1 will be a priority in next year's draft if someone already on the roster doesn't emerge. In the meantime, I think we can win with what we have in house.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If we can ever get Goff to throw to Kenny, I believe he can change your opinion of him....He's a pretty dynamic athlete...that can win 50/50 balls...

Nothing wrong with a good # 2 that a great # 1 couldn't help but boost his production by a third. Just imagine Britt with a quality # 1 on his opposite side. It would immediately change how a defense approaches our O as a whole. Hell, Gurley might run for 3000 yards. :LOL: jmo.

FRO

Legend
The Rams haven't had a receiver that was consistently productive on the field since Amendola, and he was consistently hurt. It goes back to Holt as far as a good productive WR. Britt and Austin have proven they can have huge games, but neither has proven to be consistent week in week out. With Britt going into his 8th season it would be foolish to expect him to be a different player than he has been throughout his career. There is hope for Austin, but he has to show improved route running. Being a great gadget player is nice, but this team needs consistency at the receiver position. Someone needs to step up. On paper this group looks like one of the league's worst units. Games aren't played on paper though and there should be an opportunity for someone to make a name for themselves.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just imagine Britt with a quality # 1 on his opposite side.
Only way to get one is the draft...we won't pay for a proven #1 type....and that's typically found in the 1st round....I'm liking Williams at Clemson...with the needed health/off the field issues to drop to the 2nd round...

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Only way to get one is the draft...we won't pay for a proven #1 type....and that's typically found in the 1st round....I'm liking Williams at Clemson...with the needed health/off the field issues to drop to the 2nd round...

I just can't wait, although i'll probably have to. Another 2'nd round hopeful next year & Britt becoming a free agent is too risky imo.

Pair Josh Gordon with Britt starting on game 5, with Goff also entering for his first game of the season.
Trade a conditional 2018 3'rd round draft pick that can become a 2'nd if Gordon keeps his nose clean and meets minimal numbers. :deadhorse: :bueller:

jmo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They've got their #1 and #2 WR fresh and injury free. Tenuous? That's a little overkill.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Shoulda grabbed him when he was super low value....And his next freak up will be a lifetime ban...No chance he wants to leave Hue, or that RGIII would allow him to be traded.

The team is loaded at WR and there has been a good deal of speculation the Browns are holding out for a 2'nd round pick for JG. They are also loaded with draft picks for 2017, ... the Rams are in a good place to offer a conditional 2018 3'rd.
As far as Gordon being one violation away from another year off, or a ban, ... he is clean now and seems to finally have his head on straight, including his off-season/pre-season conditioning. And who better than to have Fisher as HC, who seems to know how to handle problem players. Personally, giving up 6 high round draft picks for Goff, i'd take the gamble on Gordon for a lone later date conditional 3'rd in a heartbeat. I'd rather surround Goff with some known offensive talent than to handle him like we did with Bradford, paying the high price and doing little to build around him, not that we haven't done a little better in that department recently. There are also no guarantees that Britt remains with the team next year, not that I consider him a true # 1 anyway. And while we may lack draft picks next season, for a change, we should have more CAP room available than at any time in our recent past. jmo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shoulda grabbed him when he was super low value....And his next freak up will be a lifetime ban...No chance he wants to leave Hue, or that RGIII would allow him to be traded.
And he cant play in the first 4-5 games anyway right?