Rams would be unwise to switch to 4-3 defense under new coordinator

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
gettyimages-1190751557.jpg

Cameron DaSilva
10 hours ago

The Los Angeles Rams made a big change to their coaching staff this week, parting ways with defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. He’s the only defensive coordinator Sean McVay’s had since joining the Rams in 2017, but the Rams opted not to renew his contract and keep him aboard.
The search for a replacement is well underway, though there’s been no indication as to who the Rams will hire. They could promote someone already on the staff such as Aubrey Pleasant or Joe Barry, which would make the transition from Phillips much easier. They’ll also likely interview and consider outside candidates, with Kris Richard being a coach who would make a lot of sense.

Whoever the Rams hire, though, one thing should remain the same: the 3-4 front. When the Rams let go of Phillips, there was rampant speculation and curiosity about them switching back to a 4-3 scheme, which they previously ran.

Different coaches prefer different defensive fronts, be it a 3-4 or a 4-3. With how frequently teams use nickel packages, keeping only two inside linebackers on the field, 3-4 versus 4-3 isn’t as significant a difference as it once was. However, for the Rams, switching to a 4-3 defense would be a major change.
It would also be an unwise one.
They simply don’t have the players to fit the scheme, especially with three key defenders set to hit free agency. The biggest issue comes at one of the most important positions on that side of the ball: defensive end.
Los Angeles doesn’t have any great options to fit that role. Dante Fowler Jr. played there with the Jaguars and would make the transition from outside linebacker easily, but he’s also a free agent who will command a hefty price tag. Clay Matthews wouldn’t play defensive end, and both Samson Ebukam and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo have only played outside linebacker.
Here’s what a hypothetical depth chart would look like in a 4-3 defense with the players the Rams have under contract.
  • DE: Morgan Fox
  • DT: Aaron Donald
  • NT: Sebastian Joseph-Day/Greg Gaines
  • DE: Samson Ebukam
  • OLB: Travin Howard
  • MLB: Micah Kiser/Troy Reeder
  • OLB: Kenny Young
Not exactly an enticing group of players, huh? Of course, having Cory Littleton at one of the outside linebacker spots would help that group immensely, as would Fowler at defensive end. Michael Brockers would be replaced by Joseph-Day or Gaines, making him unlikely to return as a free agent.
And there’s always free agency and the draft to add reinforcements, during which the Rams will focus heavily on defense. That doesn’t mean they’ll be able to find an immediate starter at any of those spots, however.
The transition to a 4-3 defense would come with a lot of growing pains, and it would be a slow switch. In fact, the Rams might have to wait a year to do it – if they hire a coordinator who wants to make that change. It would require them to draft players who better fit a 4-3 scheme this year, who in turn may not fit well in a 3-4 front temporarily.
The defense would endure a real setback in 2020 if the switch is made, which may not be something the Rams can afford with all of their pending free agents. They’d be better off to develop the young talent they drafted for a 3-4 scheme and hope the next coordinator can get the most out of them.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with this. I think the 3-4 defense is better overall than the 4-3 (jmho). Wejust need to keep finding better and better players who fit the system.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I like how people keep saying that Fowler could play 4-3 DE well, when we've already seen him not play that position well.

Past performance is not a guarantee of future results... But it's the only indicator we have.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That 5T replacement looms large for us. It's going to be a key draft choice for our defense. They'll probably bring someone in on the cheap in FA but it won't be more than a filler type for the roster. This DL class is very strong so we might finally see a true 3-4 end which I'm excited about.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That 5T replacement looms large for us. It's going to be a key draft choice for our defense. They'll probably bring someone in on the cheap in FA but it won't be more than a filler type for the roster. This DL class is very strong so we might finally see a true 3-4 end which I'm excited about.

I've been yapping on this all year, ... hope the Rams go early in the draft for this one.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've been yapping on this all year, ... hope the Rams go early in the draft for this one.
I love me some Davis for that role (Bama) but of course he'll never make it to us on day 2 sigh.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I love me some Davis for that role (Bama) but of course he'll never make it to us on day 2 sigh.

Yetur Gross-Matos is at the top of my list now, although I doubt he slips to us. Carlos Basham was also high on my list, but he may be returning to Wake Forest. Snead probably likes Nick Coe for obvious reasons. A.J Epenesa and Curtis Weaver are also likely out of our reach. Kenny Willekes & Khalid Kareem may be doable a little later.

A Tag & Trade for Fowler could sure pay off for us if we can move to the top of the 2'nd round ...

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like how people keep saying that Fowler could play 4-3 DE well, when we've already seen him not play that position well.

Past performance is not a guarantee of future results... But it's the only indicator we have.

Fowler was used like a 4-3 DE here. He didn't play as well in Jacksonville. But that had little to do with the base scheme. We shouldn't move to a 3-4 because it doesn't fit our personnel well, but I don't think it would make any real difference with Fowler.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I dont really have a preference as to 3-4 or 4-3, but neither one works without the right personnel. Just like either one works with the right personnel and a creative DC. I know Wades 3-4 is similar to a 4-3 in that it is a single gap responsibility, but it took the better part of 3 seasons to get to where we are now with 3-4 personnel and I wouldnt want to spend the next 3 seasons to build a 4-3 defense. Especially if it is with a DC that may get hired away if he has any success.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I expect this defense to regress bottom-5 next season if they change to a 4-3 simply because we don't have the front-seven personnel, draft capital, or cap space to put 4-3 talent in this roster. I only see Donald as the reliable player there in that base defense.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yetur Gross-Matos is at the top of my list now, although I doubt he slips to us. Carlos Basham was also high on my list, but he may be returning to Wake Forest. Snead probably likes Nick Coe for obvious reasons. A.J Epenesa and Curtis Weaver are also likely out of our reach. Kenny Willekes & Khalid Kareem may be doable a little later.

A Tag & Trade for Fowler could sure pay off for us if we can move to the top of the 2'nd round ...

Leki Fotu (Utah) is my choice for 5-tech, and he should be in the third round.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Isn't he more of a 3T or NT type ?

He's rated as that, yeah, but that was mostly Utah's scheme. They had him as a big, run-stuffing NT when he could do so much more. He's athletic enough to be a 5-tech, with huge pass-rushing potential. Huge fan of Fotu.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He's rated as that, yeah, but that was mostly Utah's scheme. They had him as a big, run-stuffing NT when he could do so much more. He's athletic enough to be a 5-tech, with huge pass-rushing potential. Huge fan of Fotu.

If we ran a more traditional 3-4 rather than our hybrid version, I might see it as more likely.
If he should slip to us in the 3'rd, I'm going with Rashard Lawrence, not instead of a 5T DE, but in addition to. He can play anywhere on that DL and should make for an ideal rotational player with Donald, and increased competition for SJD. If we missed on Rashard, then I could see Fotu filling that role.
jmo.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Snead and his scouting dept. have done us well, I wouldn't toss in the towel just yet.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Absolutely, we cannot switch to the 4-3, with our FOUR GREAT LBs that we have on our team, under contract through the next several years.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree with this. I think the 3-4 defense is better overall than the 4-3 (jmho). Wejust need to keep finding better and better players who fit the system.
I prefer a 4/3.....but either can work.
As usual it’s about matching personal to scheme.
I didn’t want to go away from a 4/3 with Wade for this reason.
Overall the Rams had a transitional year....a bad overall year and a good over all year.
Stick with the 3/4 and look to fill a few scheme needs instead of starting in a new direction. To even consider it would be disastrous to me.