Rams working to keep more than just this year's free agents/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams working to keep more than just this year's free agents
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...to-keep-more-than-just-this-years-free-agents

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- First things first, the Los Angeles Rams have plenty of their own free agents to re-sign as the new league year opens on March 9. It's a group that includes about a dozen players, including key defensive components like cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson, safeties Rodney McLeod and Mark Barron and defensive ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims.

And while the Rams will spend the vast majority of their more than $58 million in salary-cap space to retain their current free agents, they've also got an eye toward doing all they can to prevent more key pieces from hitting the market next year at this time.

Rams general manager Les Snead confirmed at the NFL scouting combine that the team is also in the beginning stages of getting deals done with guys like defensive tackle Michael Brockers and linebacker Alec Ogletree, both of whom could theoretically become free agents after the 2016 season.

"We would like to do that," Snead said. "You know the philosophy is to draft, develop and re-sign your own core group of guys. So there’s some guys following this class that we’d like to get done as well over the next few months."

Brockers is under team control for the 2016 season under the fifth-year option the team exercised on him last summer. Ogletree, who is set to move to middle linebacker after the release of James Laurinaitis, is entering his fourth NFL season and though the Rams are all but certain to exercise his fifth-year option for 2017 before this year's deadline, they'd like to get him locked up long-term before he'd play that fifth season.

Ogletree and Brockers aren't the only Rams under team control who could be up for extensions. Receiver Tavon Austin, the team's first first-round pick in the 2013 draft, is also eligible for the fifth-year option. Austin had his most productive NFL season in 2015, posting 907 yards from scrimmage to go with nine touchdowns. He also scored on a punt return.

"I think, from Tavon’s standpoint, he has done everything we have asked of him," coach Jeff Fisher said. "I think we have to do more as a staff to get him the football. I think you saw that late in the season, when Tavon got the touches, in addition to the punt returns. I think he’s one of the most dangerous returners in the league, and he has proven that. We’ve had some called back, but I would hate to punt the ball in the field of play with him being there, if I was playing against him. I think from that standpoint, we have to do whatever we can do to get him the football. Keep in mind, there’s only one brown ball and we’ve got good players on offense. But I think the combination of Tavon and Todd (Gurley) and the rest of the guys, I think it provides us an opportunity to be very explosive offensively."

Using the fifth-year option on Austin isn't as simple or cheap as it would be for Brockers or Ogletree. Since Austin was a top-10 draft pick, unlike Brockers or Ogletree, he would cost the average of the top 10 receivers in the NFL (or the same as the transition tag), according to NFL rules. Barring a major breakout in 2016, that might be more than the Rams would be willing to pay for Austin, which would make an extension a better option.

"What he brings to the table as a weapon on offense and what our coaches can do -- and we’ve hired a couple of new coaches and they come in to the building with excitement because of what they think he can do to help your team," Snead said. "And also on special teams. He’s a valuable piece. He’s an offensive weapon so we’ll try to figure (that) out. He’s somebody we want for the future."

Safety T.J. McDonald is also entering the final year of his rookie deal and would be a logical candidate to strike a deal. No matter how you slice up the Rams' current excess salary-cap space, it's a good bet that most of it will go toward keeping their own, even those who won't be free for at least another year.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm hearing a lot of talk, but no signings. Sounds like an excuse, "oh we are working on next years free agents too" And then this years class gets away. What's the point in having 60 million in cap space if we aren't going to use it?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I Love this way of thinking & planning. This would place this team so far ahead of the rest of the NFL in retaining our key top talented most important players. It places the Ram Org. in a much better position to control this teams roster & plans to groom & developed the type of players that fit what they want to do. It offers the ability to drive the yearly free agency departures.

If your thinking this way and planing not only 2016 but 2017 Ram FA's then is does get much more complex. But when those offers are made many Rams will bolt elsewhere...that's expected & planned for & then there will be some who are retained & now they can go get some NON Ram FA's.

Some positions the Rams are in better position to suffer losses like @ Safeties & Corners but that WSLB'er position is vital. If Quinn is badly damaged then DE becomes a priority too.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm hearing a lot of talk, but no signings. Sounds like an excuse, "oh we are working on next years free agents too" And then this years class gets away. What's the point in having 60 million in cap space if we aren't going to use it?
Patience, patience

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I Love this way of thinking & planning. This would place this team so far ahead of the rest of the NFL in retaining our key top talented most important players. It places the Ram Org. in a much better position to control this teams roster & plans to groom & developed the type of players that fit what they want to do. It offers the ability to drive the yearly free agency departures.

If your thinking this way and planing not only 2016 but 2017 Ram FA's then is does get much more complex. But when those offers are made many Rams will bolt elsewhere...that's expected & planned for & then there will be some who are retained & now they can go get some NON Ram FA's.

Some positions the Rams are in better position to suffer losses like @ Safeties & Corners but that WSLB'er position is vital. If Quinn is badly damaged then DE becomes a priority too.

Agreed, Bonifay.

Demoff plays FA chess while many other teams are playing FA checkers.

His strategies are and will continue to pay dividends for years into the future.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I also think the LA move does offer major APPEAL to many of the starting Rams. Playing for those small home St-Louis crowds & seeing more opponents fans in the stands each home game is sure to have zero appeal. Playing on grass this season is another plus for all those sore knees. Then add the new LA Crowds. It will be a big change & be something play in but that just me remembering the yrs gone past of the 60'70's & 80's. So getting Brockers, Tavon Austin, TJ McDonald & Ogletree but other starters like Garrett Reynolds, Akeem Ayers & Kenny Britt signing back at a reasonable rate.

Next season the Rams can jettison players like Nick Foles who has a cap hit listed in 2017 of $13.25 mil, Rodger Saffold who has a cap hit listed in 2017 of $6.23 mil or if Lance Kendrick proves to be a poor replacement for Jared Cook then they can release him from that listed $4.25 mil. So staying ahead of the game puts them in the driver seat. If Rob Quinn can not make a come back his listed release cap hit in 2017 would be $10.75 mil. That's well over 30 million saving between those four alone to use in next seasons free agency.

fearsomefour

Legend
Agreed, Bonifay.

Demoff plays FA chess while many other teams are playing FA checkers.

His strategies are and will continue to pay dividends for years into the future.
I have been impressed over all as well.
They certainly have not hit on all of the signings, but, it is about managing the cap as much as anything. When Fnisher took over the Rams had the oldest roster in the league and were pushed up against the cap....a bad place to be if you are not having success on the field.

nighttrain

Legend
I have been impressed over all as well.
They certainly have not hit on all of the signings, but, it is about managing the cap as much as anything. When Fnisher took over the Rams had the oldest roster in the league and were pushed up against the cap....a bad place to be if you are not having success on the field.
and we were certainly not having success, i remember 15-65 very well, was a nightmare
train

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Demoff is working hard to bring continuity to the team. Getting a cor of young players and getting them signed so they play together for a number of years. the Rams have lacked that the past ten years.