Rams working on the run game/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams working on the run game
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/20747/rams-working-on-the-run-game

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams sent a resounding message about what type of offense they want to be this offseason when they spent five draft picks on offensive linemen and spent the No. 10 overall pick on running back Todd Gurley.

They want to run, they want to run often and they want to run well. Although it's still early, they haven't gotten much in the way of run game results in their two exhibition contests, at least not with the starters. The first-team offense has 40 yards on 14 carries. For those keeping score, that's 2.9 yards per attempt. It's also not nearly good enough for a team that wants the run game to be the focal point of its offensive attack.

So it was that the Rams spent most of their Wednesday practice working on the run game. It's a point of emphasis anyway but it was even more of one in Wednesday's workout.

"We had the pads on and had more of a run emphasis," coach Jeff Fisher said. "Of course we got our throwing in seven on seven but most of our team work was heavy run because we needed to work on (it)."

Don't be surprised if there's plenty of handoffs in Saturday night's third preseason game against the Indianapolis Colts as the Rams attempt to get the run game rolling toward the regular season.

A few other notes from Wednesday's practice:

-- CB Brandon McGee, LB Daren Bates, CB E.J. Gaines, LB Korey Toomer, OL Steven Baker, TE Brad Smelley, DT Doug Worthington were among the Rams sitting out Wednesday's practice. Defensive tackle Michael Brockers and offensive lineman Rodger Saffold did some work on the side.

-- One of the more entertaining training camp drills is the one-on-one blitz pickups matching linebackers and safeties against running backs. On Wednesday, it was decided advantage for the defense though both sides had some highs and lows. Safety Mark Barron and linebacker Alec Ogletree had some strong rushes, using their hands to quick disengage from blockers to get to the "quarterback." The best move of the day came when safety Maurice Alexander used a well-timed spin to beat back Malcolm Brown. The move drew praise from teammates and defensive backs coach Brandon Fisher began yelling "I can't teach that one" as he offered Alexander a high five.

It wasn't all bad for the running backs, though. Benny Cunningham held his own against safety T.J. McDonald on a couple of reps and Chase Reynolds took linebacker Cameron Lynch to the ground on another snap.

-- It's also worth noting that while Gurley is back in practice and able to do most of the work, he did not participate in the blitz pickup drill. It's the closest thing the Rams have to full contact in these practices and clearly they aren't quite ready to have Gurley doing that just yet.

-- A couple of other highlights: Quarterback Nick Foles hit receiver Kenny Britt on a well-placed long ball over cornerback Trumaine Johnson in one-on-one drills for a would-be touchdown. ... Johnson rebounded with an interception in seven-on-seven red zone drills when Stedman Bailey juggled a pass from Foles and couldn't hang on. ... Undrafted rookie cornerback Montell Garner came up with a nice leaping interception against Case Keenum.

-- The Rams practice Thursday at 6:30 p.m. ET in their final session before Saturday's preseason game against the Colts.

Memphis Ram

Legend
xrnlsih.gif

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Practice Report 8/26: Wichmann Back on the Field
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-826-Wichmann-Back-on-the-Field/06b65650-b671-47fd-a0c8-f7679fbcc4b9

The biggest news of head coach Jeff Fisher’s press conference on Monday was running back Todd Gurley getting cleared for 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 practice. But Fisher also announced another rookie was able to go back to practice: offensive lineman Cody Wichmann.

A sixth-round pick out of Fresno State, Wichmann started 50 games as a Bulldog, twice earning All-Mountain West honors. But he suffered a calf injury back in the spring and had been sidelined since, having been placed on the Physically Unable to Perform List at the start of training camp.

Now Wichmann is off of it and has made his way back onto the practice field, participating in all elements of the sessions over the past couple of days.

“It’s been really great -- I feel great. No more sitting and watching all my buddies work their butts off,” Wichmann said. “Being out there the last couple of days, I feel comfortable with where I’m going on the field and I’m able to play fast. So I’m making up lost time -- slowly but surely.”

Though he wasn’t able to perform the plays for the last few weeks, Wichmann said the mental reps were important as he learned the playbook.

“That was really important to me, to get in the playbook on my downtime and I think it’s helped out a lot,” Wichmann said. “I was watching the vets for almost two months and those guys are here for a reason. They’ve been in the league the years that they have been for a reason. So it was great to get those mental reps.”

The first-year lineman also said it’s been nice to have so many fellow rookies in his position group as they all acclimate to the league.

“We’re going to be close with everyone on the offensive line, but I think the rookies are really special,” Wichmann said. “We’re a tight-knit group. We’re always with each other on our off days and what not. There’s obviously a bunch of drafted guys, and you’ve got great talent in the undrafted guys, too. So there are a bunch of great guys and I hope we all make this team.”

The lineman added he thinks developing those off-field relationships should help on-field performance.

“I think chemistry is really important when it comes to a football team,” Wichmann said. “The closer you are off the field, the more you want to fight for them on the field. And being on the football field, you can actually stick up for them -- you can fight for them.”

It’s been a process for Wichmann to get back to practicing, which the lineman said the coaches have been understanding about. But that doesn’t mean the rookie is being complacent.

“I’m not going to lower my standards,” Wichmann said. “I hold myself to high expectations, and I’m not trying to go out there to survive. I’m going out there to get better every day.

“Their feedback is reassuring,” Wichmann continued. “They’re just bringing me along. They understand that I’ve been out for a while. But I’m the kind of guy who doesn’t like to make excuses, so I’m just trying to do my best.”

And he’s definitely excited about the possibility of playing on Saturday night against the Colts.

“I traveled to both of the other games but obviously didn’t get any playing time,” Wichmann said. “So hopefully it’ll be my first experience playing in one of those games. And I’m really looking forward to it.”

ONE-ON-ONE WITH A SPECIAL GUEST

Sometimes it’s fun to throw in a changeup. That’s what we did here at stlouisrams.com on Wednesday, with Alec Cabacungan at Rams Park to watch practice.

Alec, 12, has been diagnosed with osteogenesis imperfecta, which is a brittle bone disease. Earlier this year, Alec interviewed a few incoming rookies at Shriners Hospitals for Children-Chicago, where he is also a patient. Plus, he’s appeared in a few commercials for the hospital, and clearly has a camera presence.

That was on display Wednesday afternoon, when our own Dani Klupenger handed over the microphone to have him do some interviews with linebacker James Laurniaitis and defensive lineman Robert Quinn.

Following his interview, Quinn went into the locker room with a football to gather the signatures of Nick Foles and Todd Gurley.

“Those are some of his favorite players, so I made sure I could at least put one of those smiles on his face,” Quinn said. “Who knows how much that could help pick up his day, or the impact that makes on his life?”

“It sounds simple, but a signature could put a smile on a kid’s face,” Quinn added.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Don't be surprised if there's plenty of handoffs in Saturday night's third preseason game against the Indianapolis Colts as the Rams attempt to get the run game rolling toward the regular season.
If were not successful vs the Colts run defense:cautious:....:sick:o_O:cry::censored::confused::(:mad:

It’s been a process for Wichmann to get back to practicing, which the lineman said the coaches have been understanding about. But that doesn’t mean the rookie is being complacent.........“I’m not going to lower my standards,” Wichmann said. “I hold myself to high expectations, and I’m not trying to go out there to survive. I’m going out there to get better every day.“I traveled to both of the other games but obviously didn’t get any playing time,” Wichmann said. “So hopefully it’ll be my first experience playing in one of those games. And I’m really looking forward to it.”
I'm real interested in seeing this kid play...I can almost guarantee he'll be WAY better than Washington...not saying much, but he'll ease a bunch of fears in here....Blog can rest peacefully....I know I will....

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams Insider Myles Simmons catches you up on everything from Wednesday’s practice. Special Teams were focused on today, along with the running game. Also, Cody Wichmann returned to the practice field today.

Watch Simmons Practice Report

Alan

Legend
I traveled to both of the other games but obviously didn’t get any playing time,” Wichmann said. “So hopefully it’ll be my first experience playing in one of those games. And I’m really looking forward to it.
So are we.