Rams won't change offense in Bradford's absence/Balzer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams won't change offense in Bradford's absence
By Howard Balzer

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rams-wont-change-offense-bradfords-022126155--nfl.html

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher did the best he could Sunday, putting on his positive face in the wake of the stunning news that quarterback Sam Bradford tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Bradford, who had the same ACL repaired after first being injured last October against the Carolina Panthers, is out for the season.

Fisher did his best Dick Vermeil imitation after being asked about the eerie similarity to 1999. That year, Trent Green tore his ACL in the third preseason game, leaving the offense in the hands of Kurt Warner, who helped lead the team to a Super Bowl win over Fisher's Tennessee Titans.

"This team's going to rally around Shaun (Hill), and we're going to go play, they really are," Fisher said. "That guy that came in (Warner) ended up being pretty good. Again, we've got all the confidence in the world in Shaun."

Fisher got the quote close. Vermeil, the Rams' head coach then, said, "We will rally around Kurt Warner, and we will play good football." Though Fisher wasn't tearing up like Vermeil, his message was clear.

"We move forward as a football team," he said. "Shaun is our guy. We brought him here. He's got experience. We've got all the confidence in the world in him. We have, around our quarterback position right now, probably as good of talent as we've had since we came here. Shaun is excited about that, and I know he'll benefit from that.

"Players are unique nowadays. They feel Sam's right pain now and his loss, but you've got to go on. That's part of our business, you go on, and so, everybody needs to pick it up a little bit more. That's kind of a cliche when these things happen, and this young group of guys will."

Fisher acknowledged being "shell-shocked" by the news, especially since Bradford wasn't hit particularly hard and the injury didn't appear that bad after it happened in the first quarter of Saturday night's game against the Cleveland Browns. He expressed optimism, while Bradford told teammates and others he thought he would be OK. That is what made the news Sunday so hard to accept.

"For Sam personally, it's devastating," Fisher said. "The news was devastating to him as you can appreciate. Anyone that's gone through that procedure and the rehab understands, and to have it happen again within the calendar year is very, very difficult. So, we're thinking of Sam.

"I met with him this morning. He's left the building. He's spending time with his parents. A lot of people worked very hard with him: (trainer) Reggie (Scott), his training staff, (strength and conditioning coach) Rock (Gullickson) and his strength staff, the doctors. If you saw him at practice or you saw him the last two preseason games, I think you would agree with me that he was 100 percent back and on his way."

Now he is on his way to another surgery and an uncertain future. By the end of the season, Bradford will have missed 31 of a possible 80 games in his five-year career, and 2015 is the last year of the six-year, $78 million contract he signed as the first overall pick in the 2010 draft.

However, Fisher said it is far too early to think about the future, adding, "We just need to get his heart and his mind right and get him focused, allow him some time to get away. We'll address that whenever we need to."

What Fisher has to do is make sure his team is focused moving forward, something he is not worried about. Last season, when Bradford was injured, there were those who predicted St. Louis wouldn't win another game, but the Rams went 4-5 with Kellen Clemens at quarterback. Hill is more equipped to be effective in the passing game than Clemens was.

In 12 NFL seasons, Hill has played just 34 games (26 starts), but has completed 61.9 percent of his passes for 6,381 yards, 41 touchdowns, 23 interceptions and an 85.9 passer rating.

Fisher spoke to Hill briefly Sunday and said, "He's ready for it. He's ready for the challenge, ready for the opportunity. He has a great feel for the offense right now, and we're going to move forward with it. We're not going to change anything. He knows the system. Again, everybody knows we're going to run the football first. We're going to do that, and we've got to do that well and we've got to do that to start the season. Everything else will come off of that.

"He's got a wealth of experience. He's played in games. He's been in different systems. The last few years, he's really only played in the preseason behind (Lions quarterback) Matthew (Stafford), but when he played, he played really well. He just makes good decisions; he's mobile. He understands defenses and he's very reliable."

While the Rams will be centered around the ground game, that only works when defenses know the passing attack is a threat. Without that, play-action is useless. Fisher believes that won't be a problem with Hill under center.

"We're improving, and the young guys are getting more and more experience," Fisher said. "But Shaun's capable of getting the ball to them; there's not a throw that he can't make. He sees well, he's got great anticipation, and we're going to cut him loose."

fearsomefour

Legend
Good news to me they are not changing the offense. Hill was brought in with the knowledge he may have to start....considering there was a real chance of a set back in Bradfords recovery (obviously this was not expected). I would take Hill over a couple of guys that are the regular starters on their teams this year....Fitzpatrick, Schaub, Manuel, either guy on the Jets, Henne, Hoyer, Bob Griffin, Cassel, Palmer....is Hill as good or better than most of these guys? Yes.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good news to me they are not changing the offense. Hill was brought in with the knowledge he may have to start....considering there was a real chance of a set back in Bradfords recovery (obviously this was not expected). I would take Hill over a couple of guys that are the regular starters on their teams this year....Fitzpatrick, Schaub, Manuel, either guy on the Jets, Henne, Hoyer, Bob Griffin, Cassel, Palmer....is Hill as good or better than most of these guys? Yes.
That's the first thing I picked up on in Fisher's presser. I'm glad somebody asked if Schotty was going to have to scale back the offense like he did for Clemens, and there was no hesitation in the answer. He talked up Hill and little bit to explain why they don't have to change anything, and then said they wouldn't. Despite Gordon saying we'll have to scale things back, I was fairly certain that wouldn't be a need. The only thing Hill can't do is throw with the same velocity or as far. Big deal. Attack the middle zones and throw it 46 yards instead of 60. Hill should be able to do everything else if he's got the plays down.

fearsomefour

Legend
That's the first thing I picked up on in Fisher's presser. I'm glad somebody asked if Schotty was going to have to scale back the offense like he did for Clemens, and there was no hesitation in the answer. He talked up Hill and little bit to explain why they don't have to change anything, and then said they wouldn't. Despite Gordon saying we'll have to scale things back, I was fairly certain that wouldn't be a need. The only thing Hill can't do is throw with the same velocity or as far. Big deal. Attack the middle zones and throw it 46 yards instead of 60. Hill should be able to do everything else if he's got the plays down.
Agreed.
Hill, like most guys that dont have huge arms, has learned to compensate with good anticipation and timing.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Hill is very good at getting the ball out at the right time. He has great anticipation.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Hill>Clemens. There is hope. I hope we physically destroy some teams this year...

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Attack the middle zones and throw it 46 yards instead of 60..

Try 30 yards instead. I don't think he's got a huge arm. But that being said, 95% of the pass plays will be for 5-10 yards anyway in this offense. But Hill does have accuracy. I guess we'll have to see him play.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Try 30 yards instead. I don't think he's got a huge arm. But that being said, 95% of the pass plays will be for 5-10 yards anyway in this offense. But Hill does have accuracy. I guess we'll have to see him play.
I said 46 specifically for a reason (actually this is in the neighborhood of 51 yards).

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Hill's touch may be more valuable with our schedule and in getting guys like Tavon going and using the Backs as receivers and making screens work. Bradford always had trouble with touch passes. Hill is VERY good at those...

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I said 46 specifically for a reason (actually this is in the neighborhood of 51 yards).

That's about as far as he can throw it though, he really had to step into that one. I hope he can make some plays like that for us this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hill's touch may be more valuable with our schedule and in getting guys like Tavon going and using the Backs as receivers and making screens work. Bradford always had trouble with touch passes. Hill is VERY good at those...
This play kinda reminds me of what he'll be able to do with Tavon.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's about as far as he can throw it though, he really had to step into that one. I hope he can make some plays like that for us this year.
Fine by me. 50 yards is good enough if you throw it early enough.
And it sure beats 30 yards. ;)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Exactly. Hill throws a softer ball than Bradford which helps the RBs and "playmaker" types secure the ball faster and get to YACin...

Good example with Jahvid Best, btw. That crossing pattern is very much an example of what I have been mentioning.