Rams will use franchise tag on either Johnson or Jenkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
Tru was wearing Rams gear today.. I'm hoping that means a contract is close.
IMG_2526.PNG

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Snead should of locked up 1 of these corners within the last 2 years.Now they will both want close to top dollar when we could of had them for a lot less.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Well .... Jason Cole is not the most reliable source....... And... the article states PFF has Janoris ranked 26th out of 111 CB's and Tru ranked #19 .... "Only TOW spots ahead of Jenkins.." ... can they do simple math??

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Snead should of locked up 1 of these corners within the last 2 years.Now they will both want close to top dollar when we could of had them for a lot less.
Like Seattle thought they had with Cam? It just doesn't always work out that neatly. I'd love to lock up our players but there are often reasons that isn't really possible because of the timing of other contracts or that many players simply won't extend early if they think they will prove out.

RamBill

Legend
Rams to tag corner, Colts face tight end choice and more FA notes
February 26, 2016 9:35 pm ET

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...colts-face-tight-end-choice-and-more-fa-notes

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Rams will be using their franchise tag, according to sources, on one of their corners. To this point, they have not indicated to Trumaine Johnson or Janoris Jenkins which one of them is getting the tag, and ideally they would sign one long-term and tag the other, but even with all of their cap space that might prove impossible.

Whichever young corner does not get tagged is going to crush it in free agency on the open market. And the other will likely get a nice, new deal with the Rams by the July 15 deadline to extend players who are on the tag as well. The Rams are telling agents they have yet to finalize the decision themselves but fully intend to do so by Tuesday's tag deadline.

The odds of getting either player signed to a new deal between now and the deadline looks pretty bleak, so in the end it just might be that they tag one and the other walks. While Jenkins gets more of the press, personally, I wouldn't be shocked if they ended up tagging Johnson, who is a budding talent and does not have some of the off-field stuff in his background.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If both players want to stay and the Rams offer them market price why can't they keep both of them? The question is do the Rams want to give them the market rate.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

Not really. That's pure hindsight. Tru could have turned into another Saffold, and JJ was still questionable, even last year. They are both very good corners, but the Rams' Dline is a significant contributing factor.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

If both players want to stay and the Rams offer them market price why can't they keep both of them? The question is do the Rams want to give them the market rate.

Most likely their agent is telling them that the cap expanded so their contract should not be based off of what other corners are getting. Because teams have more to spend and someone will be willing to pay more. I remember Golic saying how a lot of guys regret leaving their original team for money because you cannot replace family, which is what your first team is essentially. Hope they get them both signed but I prefer Tru over JJ

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Better that than two hold outs

But we would've had some leverage with them under contract.

Not really. That's pure hindsight. Tru could have turned into another Saffold, and JJ was still questionable, even last year. They are both very good corners, but the Rams' Dline is a significant contributing factor.

The point is they could've extended 1 or both at a much lower salary than they'll be seeking.JJ was good enough to extend at a modest level.And Tru even with the injuries showed he was getting better.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Like Seattle thought they had with Cam? It just doesn't always work out that neatly. I'd love to lock up our players but there are often reasons that isn't really possible because of the timing of other contracts or that many players simply won't extend early if they think they will prove out.

I get that I just don't think that letting our entire secondary hit free agency at the same time was smart.Locking up any 1 of Tru,JJ,Barron,or McLeod could've helped.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Since the two people reporting this are Jason Cole and Jason La Canfora, it's almost assuredly false.

Unrelated, but Speaking of LaCanfora, he's starting a twitter beef with another NFL insider, so that's funny.

Anyway, as much as I want to discredit these two "insiders", what they are saying does make some sense. I could see one of the guys getting a tag. Only question is which.

BTW Nice job finding that Trumaine pic A55. I would think Johnson realized what he was doing wearing that particular shirt.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I get that I just don't think that letting our entire secondary hit free agency at the same time was smart.Locking up any 1 of Tru,JJ,Barron,or McLeod could've helped.

Hindsight is 20/20. Lets not pretend Tru wasnt battling for his starting spot before Gaines went down. Or that the jury was still out on whether or not Barron had a future with this team. Or that the Rams tried working out a deal with Jenkins early in the season but he bet on himself and closed off talks. All those guys had something to prove and with the way the NFL works, you really only get 1 huge contract, so its not like they would be overly eager to sign a cheap deal with a season or less to go until FA.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The point is they could've extended 1 or both at a much lower salary than they'll be seeking.JJ was good enough to extend at a modest level.And Tru even with the injuries showed he was getting better.

You assume that JJ was willing to do that. He said early this season that he wasn't.

Tru missed most of last year with an injury and was outplayed by Gaines when he was healthy.

As others said, hindsight is 20/20. Nobody knew Jenkins and Johnson would both hit their stride this year.(we hoped they would but didn't know) They tried to get a deal done with JJ but he bet on himself.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/pos...f-clampseason-janoris-jenkins-bets-on-himself
The Rams and Jenkins' side have been involved in contract discussions since around the scouting combine in February. In that time, the two sides drew closer to a deal, but Jenkins has maintained that it should ultimately land him in a class closer to the league's elite corners.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Hindsight is 20/20. Lets not pretend Tru wasnt battling for his starting spot before Gaines went down. Or that the jury was still out on whether or not Barron had a future with this team. Or that the Rams tried working out a deal with Jenkins early in the season but he bet on himself and closed off talks. All those guys had something to prove and with the way the NFL works, you really only get 1 huge contract, so its not like they would be overly eager to sign a cheap deal with a season or less to go until FA.

I dont think Snead gave up 2 picks for Barron to basically rent him for a year and half.And Jenks may have bet on himself this year he could if been extended 2 years ago.That goes true for Tru as well they were at that time serviceable. Now they they both had a good year it will cost a lot more to keep both.I just think that 2 years ago the window was open to resign our 2nd round picks, to a cheaper contract based on their play to that point.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
You assume that JJ was willing to do that. He said early this season that he wasn't.

Tru missed most of last year with an injury and was outplayed by Gaines when he was healthy.

As others said, hindsight is 20/20. Nobody knew Jenkins and Johnson would both hit their stride this year.(we hoped they would but didn't know) They tried to get a deal done with JJ but he bet on himself.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/pos...f-clampseason-janoris-jenkins-bets-on-himself

Ok so if Jenks didn't want to be extended 2 years ago let's exclude him for now.And Tru was battling some injuries so he's out.McLeod has shown improvement every year and I don't recall him saying he didn't want to be extended. We gave up 2 picks for Barron so they obviously thought he was in their long term plans.Extending both of these players could've saved a little more money to work with.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, there's no signing modest deals in the NFL. These guys play for that big contract. Cant blame them. And the way JJ tweets, there is no way he was ever going to take an early deal. He knows he's gonna get paid, in fact he probably thinks he's worth more than he is

RamBill

Legend

Jason Cole Talks Jenkins/Johnson and the Franchise Tag

The Los Angeles Rams are trying to re-sign cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson this offseason. How are negotiations progressing as free agency approaches? Watch as Bleacher Report NFL Insider Jason Cole discusses the Rams starting CB’s and their free agent status.

Watch Cole Talk Rams Jenkins/Johnson

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

IDK, I hope so! But one thing for sure we're going to find out sooner rather than later!