Rams will continue to develop a deep offensive line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-offensive-line-20160410-story.html

750x422

The fourth in a series of occasional stories on the Rams' depth by position, as the team prepares for the April 28-30 NFL draft. Today, the offensive line:

The pick raised eyebrows at last year's NFL draft.

The Rams' selection of running back Todd Gurley — who was coming off a major knee injury — with the 10th pick garnered plenty of attention. It also overshadowed the rest of the team's picks, among them four offensive linemen.

Gurley, of course, went on to become a star and the league's offensive rookie of the year.

Tim Barnes and guard Rodger Saffold are among veteran linemen who helped the Rams rank seventh in rushing but last in passing in 2015. The Rams gave up a league-low 18 sacks but they also ran the fewest plays.

The Rams drafted "a lot" of offensive linemen last year to build for the future, General Manager Les Snead said.

"We felt like that group needed to grow together and play together over a long period of time and it started in the 2015 season," he said.

At 6 feet 5 inches and 332 pounds, Robinson is among the largest building blocks. He was the second pick in the 2014 draft after his redshirt sophomore season at Auburn. Robinson struggled at times in 2015, but he will be charged again with protecting the quarterback's blindside.

"Playing at Auburn his junior year probably would have been good for him — maybe even his senior year," Snead said. "So he had to learn the hard way in our league.

"And because he plays out there on an island … we all see the moments where he's not where you want him to be. But in there, there's some moments where you're like 'Holy Cow, he just did that to [Arizona Cardinals' defensive end] Calais Campbell.'

"And when you see that, you want to continue, obviously, developing him and getting him to be a more consistent player."

Havenstein, 6-8 and 321 pounds, was selected in the second round last year from Wisconsin. He started 13 games at right tackle and was voted to the all-rookie team by the Pro Football Writers of America.

Brown, a third-round pick from Louisville, started the first nine games at guard before suffering a season-ending lower-leg fracture.

Wichmann, a sixth-round pick from Fresno State, started seven games at guard. Donnal, a fourth-round pick from Iowa, played in five games, starting twice.

Barnes, 27, started every game at center last season. He was an unrestricted free agent but re-signed with the Rams last month and received a two-year contract.

Saffold, a second-round pick by the Rams in 2010, can play guard and tackle. He was sidelined after five games last season because of a shoulder injury but is on track to return. Saffold, 27, was the first player to begin lifting weights last week at the Rams' temporary off-season facility in Oxnard.

Garrett Reynolds, Brian Folkerts, Demetrius Rhaney, Darrell Williams and tackle Isaiah Battle, a supplemental draft pick last year from Clemson, are other linemen on the roster.

Draft prospects

The Rams have four picks among the first 100 in the April 28-30 draft in Chicago.

They have the 15th overall pick, two second-round picks (Nos. 43 and 45) and spots in the third (No. 76), fourth (No. 110th) and sixth (No. 190th) rounds.

After selecting so many offensive linemen last season — and with holes at other key offensive spots and cornerback — the position is probably not regarded as a priority in this year's draft.

In his second mock draft, the Times' Sam Farmer projected that six offensive linemen would be selected in the first round, including Mississippi tackle Laremy Tunsil third, Notre Dame tackle Ronnie Stanley 10th, Michigan State tackle Jack Conklin 16th, Ohio State tackle Taylor Decker 18th, Alabama center Ryan Kelly 23rd and Indiana tackle Jason Spriggs 32nd.

Texas A&M tackle Germain Ifedi, Kansas State guard Cody Whitehair, USC center Max Tuerk and UCLA tackle Caleb Benenoch are among other linemen available in the draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I cannot recall the names of the three players that the Rams brought into Rams Park for a visit while they were nearly moved out, but one of them was an offensive tackle. I didn't recognize the name so it won u let probably be a late round pick if they took him. The other two were corners that I don't remember either. I figured I'd find the article another day and post them, but then I couldn't find it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cannot recall the names of the three players that the Rams brought into Rams Park for a visit while they were nearly moved out, but one of them was an offensive tackle. I didn't recognize the name so it won u let probably be a late round pick if they took him. The other two were corners that I don't remember either. I figured I'd find the article another day and post them, but then I couldn't find it.
I believe two of them were from Mizzou weren't they? Getting some local visits while St Louis was still the HQ.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Center is really all I can think of that they might draft this year. Next year though we'll have Reynolds a FA and Saffold another year older (and hopefully not hurt) so I could see a pick or two being devoted to them. Besides by the time those guys get a couple years in the system last years draft class will be closer to their 2nd contracts and we might not have to over spend on all of them if we have a couple viable options behind them on the depth chart. You know that good stuff GM's do in planning ahead.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One problem with picking the entire OLine over two years is that they will all become free agents on the same year. Assuming they have 5 good starters on a good OLine, they may not be able to keep the unit together in four more years.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
One problem with picking the entire OLine over two years is that they will all become free agents on the same year. Assuming they have 5 good starters on a good OLine, they may not be able to keep the unit together in four more years.
The odds are against that happening. Quite frankly i wouldn't worry about drafting good players that you have to re-sign down the road. Nice problem to have. No team has the ability to keep ALL of their good players regardless of position.

I still contend that they handled this offseason quite well considering how many in-house guys they had up for contract.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams gave up a league-low 18 sacks but they also ran the fewest plays.
One of these Items is GREAT! the other SUCKS! Can you guess which is which!?:LOL:;)

PARAM

Hall of Fame

And there's always the possibility they get them all locked up. Of course that's a slim chance on a couple of fronts. First, slim that they can get 5-7 guys drafted from 2014-2015 all signed. Second, that they'd really be happy with all of them.

I have a question regarding contracts. First round picks get 5 year deals. Second to seventh get 4 year deals. How about a guy who's cut and then resigned to the practice squad? Like Battle (who is technically a 2016 draft pick since we used our fifth round pick in 2016 in the 2015 supplemental draft). How long is his contract?

The Rams have 7 offensive lineman who's respective contracts take them through 2018. GRob, Havenstein, Brown, Wichmann, Donnel, Rhaney and Saffold. Barnes is good through 2017. Reynolds through 2016. Battle?

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
And there's always the possibility they get them all locked up. Of course that's a slim chance on a couple of fronts. First, slim that they can get 5-7 guys drafted from 2014-2015 all signed. Second, that they'd really be happy with all of them.

I have a question regarding contracts. First round picks get 5 year deals. Second to seventh get 4 year deals. How about a guy who's cut and then resigned to the practice squad? Like Battle (who is technically a 2016 draft pick since we used our fifth round pick in 2016 in the 2015 supplemental draft). How long is his contract?

The Rams have 7 offensive lineman who's respective contracts take them through 2018. GRob, Havenstein, Brown, Wichmann, Donnel, Rhaney and Saffold. Barnes is good through 2017. Reynolds through 2016. Battle?

well as a practice squad player he got paid like a practice squad player (well technically a shit ton more but still didnt have a contract at the time). then from there I think they agreed to a deal, or maybe there is a set contract for signing a practice squad player to your roster, im not sure but according to spotrac he has a 3 yr deal for 1,575,000 and an UFA in 2018

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Center is really all I can think of that they might draft this year. Next year though we'll have Reynolds a FA and Saffold another year older (and hopefully not hurt) so I could see a pick or two being devoted to them. Besides by the time those guys get a couple years in the system last years draft class will be closer to their 2nd contracts and we might not have to over spend on all of them if we have a couple viable options behind them on the depth chart. You know that good stuff GM's do in planning ahead.
I would agree here with you.

IF a upgraded center prospect was still available on Day 3 & offered up great fit & good upside it would be a smart decision to select him. But when the Rams have Five center types under contract @ the moment, is there really a high need to get one on Day 1 or 2 over WR/TE/NT/QB ? I am not so hopeful of Rhaney who will be going into his third TC & pre season as a Ram. Top reserve OC Rhaney has shown very little improvement on the playing field. But then again Barnes gave Rhaney very little chance to play OC last season after Barnes proved to be a serious iron-man himself game.
Tim Barnes UFA in 2018
Demetruis Rhaney UFA in 2018
Davis Arkin UFA in 2018
Eric Kush UFA in 2017
Brian Folkerts UFA in 2017

I like two possible Day 3 OC prospects:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/graham-glasgow?id=2555182
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/evan-boehm?id=2555181

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Not sure about your question but to the rest.........yeah. They could have 4/5 of the Oline needing to be resigned by 2019 So, if they lose 2 of them then that is 2 Olinemen they have to replace. Where, if they were selected in various drafts they may be more likely to only lose 1 at a time or maybe none.

Ram Man

Rookie
Although the offensive line did not play well last year they were pretty young and the consensus is that the players in place have a lot of potential. The expectation is that the O line will be better this year without any upgrades being urgently needed.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I have 0 confidence that our current staff can develop an offensive line, they have done nothing in 4 years except allow them all to regress. Paul (just collecting a paycheck) Boudreau is possibly the worst coach in the NFL and he is in charge of our Oline. Maybe they can all follow Robinson to a special camp to help and then try not to forget what they learned while in that camp.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Actually, I thought they improved towards the end of the season. I guess some could say there was nowhere to go but up. But look at the stats. Least sacks allowed. Middle of the pack in QB hits. That says the line isn't as bad as we thought.

Someone could play devil's advocate and say the stats are misleading. That a run team will give up less sacks. Or that isn't an indicator of good line play. But as they say, stats don't lie. To me its also the eyeball test. And it told me the line improved later in the season. I thought the protection for Foles was getting much better before he got benched. He just played poorly with or without good protection.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I have 0 confidence that our current staff can develop an offensive line, they have done nothing in 4 years except allow them all to regress. Paul (just collecting a paycheck) Boudreau is possibly the worst coach in the NFL and he is in charge of our Oline. Maybe they can all follow Robinson to a special camp to help and then try not to forget what they learned while in that camp.

Not sure you're basing your evaluation on, but Paul Boudreau is known throughout the league as one of the best O-Line coaches in the game. The players love him and IMO, he's doing an excellent job developing the talent he's been given to work with. My belief is the Rams are lucky to have "Boo" as a coach.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Offensive line looked a lot better last year than it has in a few years. Might have something to do with Keenum being able to get away from pressure unlike Bradford but I say it looked good especially for being so young . I love how they went and drafted o lineman the same year as Gurley, they will grow and mesh together, hopefully passing game can catch up this year.